Intel Xeon HSF Question

I'm thinking about buying myself my first Xeon CPU for a mini server. I'm a going to be installing it on a DQ77KB motherboard, so I'm looking to buy the E3-1265L v2 that's listed as compatible. Its max TDP is also 45w.

From what I've read, Xeons are supposed to run cooler and use less power, therefore they should not need a huge HSF, but you can correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm going to be using an M350 mini-ITX case, so the setup will be bunched together inside, but the case is fully ventilated from every side.

I have another M350/DQ77KB setup with an i3-3220, and the case cover only just fits over the top of the stock cooler.

The main thing I want to know is what kind of HSF is included in the boxed version. Is it a low-profile version of the regular stock cooler, or just a standard one. Something like 1U size?

I could see if an OEM version is available, but then I'd need to source my own HSF. (The boxed version seems cheaper, so I may buy boxed and source my own HSF anyway). Whatever the situation, the HSF needs to be low-profile, and not too wide either way. Having a quiet fan with 4-pin PWM would be a bonus as I wouldn't want to hear it that much.

The Thermaltake Slim X3 looks like a nice compact cooler, with a reasonably sized fan, but would that work with a Xeon? It's LGA1155 so the socket is compatible, but is it compatible thermally? On the TT website it says Compatibility: LGA1155 65w.

The reason I was hoping to have a small HSF is so that I can install a 2.5" HDD on the carrier by the side of the CPU. Having tried with my i3 system, the cooler is too tall for carrier to be installed. (I don't need a HDD for the i3 though).

I hope I haven't confused you too much, and all help is appreciated :).

The only reason I'd think you would need a Xeon is is you are going to use it's scaling, bandwidth and memory capacity, among other items. It's not going to be any more quiet or use less energy then any other 45W cpu.

It does come with a stock cooler according to a newegg review for the retail box version. No idea what kind of cooler.

The Xeons and i7 are all the same architecture (Xeons have been the same since the start of the i7 generations). The TDPs (wattage) are largely the same. The largest difference is in terms of some of the more servery functionalites: the consumer products tend to be missing some of the virtualization features or new instructions (this isn't necessarily completely consistent, it really depends on the model).

See:

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/78580

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/65506

• Like 1

i could be wrong, but the Xeon is more of a server CPU, the motherboards that take the Xeon CPU are more orientated for this function, 

you can nearly always find an 'unboxing' video, gives you an idea of what it will come with:

Diffrent model, but will most likely come with the same

Intel Xeon E3 1230 V2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge4ZLGTLwrw

It does come with a stock cooler according to a newegg review for the retail box version. No idea what kind of cooler.

The Xeons and i7 are all the same architecture (Xeons have been the same since the start of the i7 generations). The TDPs (wattage) are largely the same. The largest difference is in terms of some of the more servery functionalites: the consumer products tend to be missing some of the virtualization features or new instructions (this isn't necessarily completely consistent, it really depends on the model).

See:

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/78580

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/65506

To add to what you said Snaphat, it's worth bearing in mind that Xeons are generally cheaper than their i7 counterparts because they lack the integrated graphics chip. People looking to build a PC with a discrete graphics card and no interest in overclocking should consider the Xeons. You can get i7 functionality for i5 prices.

@OP: I don't know if Xeons come with their own HSF, but the default Intel cooler will suffice. If it doesn't come with one, there's no reason to opt for a massive HSF. As long as you've got good airflow in the case, anything that dissipates heat effectively will suffice. Do bear in mind however that good cable management in such a small case is important to get good airflow, otherwise you'll end up with heat problems regardless of what HSF you use.

• Like 1

To add to what you said Snaphat, it's worth bearing in mind that Xeons are generally cheaper than their i7 counterparts because they lack the integrated graphics chip. People looking to build a PC with a discrete graphics card and no interest in overclocking should consider the Xeons. You can get i7 functionality for i5 prices.

Good point, I never thought about doing something like. I might consider it in the future.

Don't xeons require more expensive ecc memory though ?

It isn't related to the processor. Just depends depends on the board. The board he has selected doesn't.

Thanks for all your replies, you've given me a lot to think about. I perhaps haven't explained myself well enough in my first post, but I didn't want to ramble too much haha.

I just want a small, always on system that I can rely on that will run a number of various different services, such as a web server, MySQL server etc. It will be a headless system running a version of Linux, probably Debian, so I don't require any advanced graphics, and so didn't want to go down the i7 route really as has been mentioned in the replies.

I may try some virtualisation, or other various things on it. It's not really going into an important, critical environment, so the ECC memory isn't required, and also isn't supported by my desired board anyway, as again was mentioned in the replies. I will be populating it with the max capacity of 16GB though (2x8GB SO-DIMMs).

The case I will be using has plenty of ventilation, plus I will be using a small fan at the front of the system too. I'm always very neat with my cable management, plus this system won't have many cables.

In the video showing the E3-1230 v2, the HSF I can see doesn't look too tall, but it's a bit deceiving, so I can't be sure. I would prefer the stock cooler as it's hassle-free and not a bad cooler. The stock cooler I got with my i3 has been perfect.

The main thing is working out if the stock fan is suitable in terms of dimensions (mostly height), or if not, an after-market cooler is suitable in both height, and thermal qualities. 

Thanks for all your replies, you've given me a lot to think about. I perhaps haven't explained myself well enough in my first post, but I didn't want to ramble too much haha.

I just want a small, always on system that I can rely on that will run a number of various different services, such as a web server, MySQL server etc. It will be a headless system running a version of Linux, probably Debian, so I don't require any advanced graphics, and so didn't want to go down the i7 route really as has been mentioned in the replies.

I may try some virtualisation, or other various things on it. It's not really going into an important, critical environment, so the ECC memory isn't required, and also isn't supported by my desired board anyway, as again was mentioned in the replies. I will be populating it with the max capacity of 16GB though (2x8GB SO-DIMMs).

The case I will be using has plenty of ventilation, plus I will be using a small fan at the front of the system too. I'm always very neat with my cable management, plus this system won't have many cables.

In the video showing the E3-1230 v2, the HSF I can see doesn't look too tall, but it's a bit deceiving, so I can't be sure. I would prefer the stock cooler as it's hassle-free and not a bad cooler. The stock cooler I got with my i3 has been perfect.

The main thing is working out if the stock fan is suitable in terms of dimensions (mostly height), or if not, an after-market cooler is suitable in both height, and thermal qualities. 

Given what you said, I think you should just buy it and see if the fan fits. If not get the one you mentioned in your original post. It should work since that processor has a TDP of only 45W and the fan says it is for 65W.

Given what you said, I think you should just buy it and see if the fan fits. If not get the one you mentioned in your original post. It should work since that processor has a TDP of only 45W and the fan says it is for 65W.

I might just do that. I will see what I get with the CPU.