2ds 3ds mario

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 30 November 2013 - 20:40

I'm torn between buying a new 2DS from walmart's $99 sale now or work on finding a good used 3DS or 3DS XL on Craig's list (or possibly Amazon) for my step son for Christmas.

I think I can get a used 3DS for about $75 on craigs list (just looking around at previous posts).  XLs seem to vary a bit more (but folks are asking around $125).

For those who own any of the 3DS models: how is the ware and tear going on them?  That is why I'm probably only going to shop Craig's list is so I can inspect it before paying for it.

I'm really not sure which he would prefer and I want this to be a surprise.  He has been wanting to play the New Super Mario Bros 2 game and has hinted on about it all year.

I brought up the 2DS with him when it first came out and he didn't like the way it looked.

Can't really find a good deal for NSMB2.  Its either $20 used or $30 new.

Walmart had a bundle with a Paper Mario game and an accessory for $120 but it seems to be sold out.  Not sure if Paper Mario is really that great of a game or not.  I think my step son is mostly just interested in playing NSMB2 and Pokemon.  He commented that he didn't really like the 3d when the 3ds first came out, but for some reason I still see him wanting that feature... I just can't afford a 3ds or the 3dsxl unless they are discounted to something preferably less than $100.

Thanks for your input!

#2 xboxfan50

xboxfan50

Neowinian

Posted 30 November 2013 - 20:43

Exact asame position as you, really can't make up my mind which is better. There are a lot of mixed views on the 2DS.

#3 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 November 2013 - 20:46

I think I'd rather have the XL for myself... :p

But I can't justify the $199 price tag and I missed the $150 sale yesterday.

I'm thinking about waiting to see if anyone has anything for cyber Monday.  Is Cyber Monday even a thing anymore?  Worried the 2DS on WalMart may be the best "bang for my buck" but will miss out when they are sold out.

The 2DS looks like it HAS to have a case to me.  The 3DS (xl) look more overall portable.  The 2DS looks more comfortable to hold.  idk.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 30 November 2013 - 21:03

The real advantage of the 2DS besides being cheaper is the removal of the hinge. Young children are particuarly bad for caring after hinged devices like the 3DS, and it can easily be broken in a backpack. Alternatively, the 2DS screens will be exposed all the time not just to cracks but scratches. However, a case like this should be enough to prevent those.

I've had a 3DS XL for nearly 6 months now, and although I don't use the 3D I definitely think it's the more appealing console. I'm sure your kids would be happy to get either. Once they start playing the games they'll probably forget about the console design anyway.

I can't say much for Paper Mario as I haven't played it, but if your kids enjoy Mario for the platforming elements it probably won't be their cup of tea. The Paper series is an RPG, albeit basic compared to something like Final Fantasy etc. I own NSMB2 and can vouch for that though; great little game.

#5 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 November 2013 - 21:27

Thanks for your input.  What do you think about used vs. new?

I'm curious if Target has anymore XLs for $150...

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 30 November 2013 - 21:41

Thanks for your input.  What do you think about used vs. new?

I'm curious if Target has anymore XLs for $150...

That's a really hard call and I'll admit I'm not the best person to ask either. I say that because I pretty much refuse to buy anything used 99% of the time. I'd rather wait for something to drop in price or pay the extra for peace of mind, knowing it's history and that I won't find out it's faulty soon after buying. That's a really tough call in your position because it's for a child's xmas present and telling them "we have to wait" isn't going to sound good on Xmas morning no matter how you put it unfortunately.

I think your step son would be really happy with a 2DS from Walmart's sale, honestly. Once he has it in his hands and sees there's really not all that different besides the removal of 3D, and actually has a good few benefits to it, he'll forget all about it not being a 3D/XL. Longer battery life, solid design and the same great games, what's not to like :)

#7 Thief000

Thief000

Neowinian

Posted 30 November 2013 - 21:53

I'd take the 3DS XL.

How old is he though (asking in relation to the 3D feature health issue, <6-7yo is not advised => strabismus)?

#8 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 30 November 2013 - 22:17

I had an original 3DS and I found the screen too small. 2DS looks weird to me. Reviews seem to be positive but it just looks bizarre to me. I say get the 3DS XL. They are pretty robust unless your step son like to throw tantrums and break stuff.

#9 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 November 2013 - 22:21

He is 11 and I'd score him a B- on taking care of his stuff.  lol.

I think if I could find the XL for $150 on sale, I'd get that.  Otherwise, I just don't know...

I'd jump on the Walmart sale but I don't like to feel rushed :p.  I have a feeling $99 is the best new offer for the 2DS.  Hmmm.... maybe I'll bite.

Thanks for your input everyone.

#10 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 November 2013 - 22:21

I had an original 3DS and I found the screen too small. 2DS looks weird to me. Reviews seem to be positive but it just looks bizarre to me. I say get the 3DS XL. They are pretty robust unless your step son like to throw tantrums and break stuff.

I don't seem him breaking it outright.  More like...letting it get so grimy it only lasts 3 years instead of 5 to 6 :p. He's not the type to throw fits.

#11 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 November 2013 - 22:26

What else makes me lean towards XL is the stereo sound vs the mono sounds on the 2DS.  How would you feel about new 2DS vs used XL though?

#12 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 November 2013 - 22:42

I have a 2DS, but the screen are too small for my taste.  It was nice and all, but using it for an extended period of time became hard on the eyes.

Got a 3DS XL yesterday (black Friday) for $150.  The 2DS is $129 here....  So it was a good deal!!

#13 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 30 November 2013 - 22:51

What else makes me lean towards XL is the stereo sound vs the mono sounds on the 2DS.  How would you feel about new 2DS vs used XL though?

I never buy used, but if you can get a bargain and you are confident there is nothing wrong with the device then go for it. It would be a shame to buy it and give it to him only to find there is something wrong with it on Xmas day. :(

#14 madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

Posted 30 November 2013 - 22:57

I fear you'll be met with a look of disappointment if he unwraps a 2DS.

#15 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 November 2013 - 23:58

I fear you'll be met with a look of disappointment if he unwraps a 2DS.

This is my fear too :(.  I think I may pass up the 2DS and continue looking for a better deal for a 3DS/3DSXL.

I ran to Target to check to see if they had anymore XLs at $150 but of course they didn't.  Really kicking myself for not getting in on that, but I hate Black Friday crowds so w/e.