xbox one instant on download

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:40

If I set my Xbox One to Instant On mode, and enable downloading updates while turned off, will it download entire games? I'm currently downloading BF4 and would prefer to have it in standby mode for the download.

#2 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:53

Hmm, good question, I would assume it would based on those settings, but I haven't tested it myself yet.

I wonder if that can be tested somehow.

#3 OP McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:55

Hmm, good question, I would assume it would based on those settings, but I haven't tested it myself yet.

I wonder if that can be tested somehow.

I'm not sure, the background downloads option specifically mentions updates.

#4 Sikh

Sikh

Neowin Addict!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nexus 5 PA 4.4.2 / iPhone 5

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:18

I know the 360 would automatically would go into a standby mode if you had a plug and play plugged in or was downloading a game or something. So i hope the Xbone has this or i would be disappointed.

#5 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:32

Alright, I did a quick little test.

I started the download for a demo. I let it hit 3% and then turned off the console via the controller. I left it for like 10 minutes and then turned the console back on. The download had been stopped, so it did not continue while shut off.

Now, I don't know if this is the same as letting your X1 shut itself off after so long via the power settings (I have mine set to never shut itself off), so maybe it works differently when doing it that way.

#6 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:52

Watch the light on the power brick, if it's orange it's fully off, if it's white then it's either on or in low power mode, it'll download stuff in that case.

#7 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:59

Well I tried starting a download and then just letting the system run with the power off setting changed to 1 hour.

I guess downloading is still considered 'activity' so it wont shut off while that is going on. I would assume that if you wanted to start a dl and go to bed, the system would auto shut off 1 hour after your download/install finishes.

#8 +Chsoriano

Chsoriano

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 December 2013 - 13:16

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I tested this while downloading NFS Rivals. I think I remember turning it off (low power standby) while at about 10% and when I turned it back on it was over 30%.

I guess I can buy another game to double check :/... :)

#9 OP McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

Posted 03 December 2013 - 22:35

Watch the light on the power brick, if it's orange it's fully off, if it's white then it's either on or in low power mode, it'll download stuff in that case.

I understand that it'll download updates in that state, thats what it specifically mentions in the settings (Xbox will download updates in standby) but it mentions nothing about full games. I've got competing answers here now :(

#10 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 03 December 2013 - 22:44

It seems odd that it's limited to updates only and not anything in your download queue.   If it doesn't download games as well then that's just one more thing for them to add with an update.

#11 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 December 2013 - 23:06

Well since someone said it could do it, I'm going to try again.

So I deleted my NBA Live demo and started to redownload it. I let it hit 2% and then shut off the console. The white light is showing on my power brick, so I'll let it sit there for a while and then turn it back on and check.

#12 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 03 December 2013 - 23:09

So I deleted my NBA Live demo and started to redownload it. I let it hit 2% and then shut off the console. The white light is showing on my power brick, so I'll let it sit there for a while and then turn it back on and check.

I wonder if the speed downloads slower when in standby so it doesn't effect the rest of your network traffic?   Is it connected by a wire or wireless btw?   There are ways to check if data is going back and forth if you really wanted to.    Anyways, you could just leave it for the night and check later.

#13 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 December 2013 - 23:11

I wonder if the speed downloads slower when in standby so it doesn't effect the rest of your network traffic?   Is it connected by a wire or wireless btw?   There are ways to check if data is going back and forth if you really wanted to.    Anyways, you could just leave it for the night and check later.

Its a wired, gigabit connection. I suppose I could jump onto my router and check the logs for activity. Id like to check it in say a couple hours and see where it is at.

Update:

Ok, I looked at my router and even with my X1 'off', the device is still showing up as an active device connected to the router. So this tells me that it does still have an active connection. Now to find out if its actually receiving data.

#14 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 03 December 2013 - 23:47

NBA Live demo!? Where did you get that?

#15 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 December 2013 - 00:00

NBA Live demo!? Where did you get that?

Its in the store. The weird thing is its not listed along with the full game.

Currently, there are retail game demos for FIFA, NBA Live, and Zoo Tycoon (apparently that was added today). I got to them by searching for 'demos' in the stores.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!