Neowin Monthly Photography Challenge Dec '13

Welcome to the Neowin Monthly Photography Challenge!

This month's challenge closes on the 31st December at 23:59 GMT.

The entered photos will be collected into a single thread with a poll, these will be voted on by everyone.

My apologies for not getting a voting thread up for November, I'll get one up, but this month's theme is Holidays. I'll arrange an alternative reward for the winner of November.

If an image is not submitted using the sites listed, it will NOT be accepted for the competition, the EXIF data is required for proof of entry

FAQ

Q: What is the current challenge?
A: The current challenge is in the thread title

Q: What are the rules for posting?
A:
Photos must be taken in the time frame of that theme (So in the case of March, from today (24th February) to the 24th March. Submission must be on a website that conserves EXIF data).
Spam will be deleted as per the forum rules, such as photos for sale.
The rest of the forum rules still apply.
One picture per theme.
Post your photo as a reply to this thread

Q: What sites are permitted for submission?
A:
Flickr
Picasa
min.us
smugmug
playlookit.com
500px.com
DeviantArt.com
Google Plus

Q: Does Neowin get any rights to my images if I post them?
A: Not at all! The only rights Neowin get are simply to say you won and may post it to the front page with full accreditation.

Q: Can Staff/MVC/Veteran/Other Group enter?
A: Yes!

Q: I have a question not answered here!
A: PM me!

I wonder how many pictures of Christmas tree's we are gonna get this month. 

There are Autumn leaves on the trees, grey skies overhead and no sign of snow so gonna struggle with something outside of the house at the moment!

Funny... how did I miss that? ( Was 5am in the morning and I have the flu.... so guess anything is possible)....

Lots and lots of Christmas lights... going to head to the City Center one evening... and see. Could be something Holiday's related.

It is summer on my side of the 3rd Rock, so Summer fun, and Sun is up super early, so lots of time to go snapping away!

Yeah, once again I apologise if I can't get the voting thread up until this weekend. I've just moved house to relocate for a new job so life has hit me like a freight train.

Yeah, once again I apologise if I can't get the voting thread up until this weekend. I've just moved house to relocate for a new job so life has hit me like a freight train.

Could you not delegate to D.S ? It's no big deal if not :)

Could you not delegate to D.S ? It's no big deal if not :)

I have been messaging him about threads, I should be good from Friday and back in action. :)

Tried to get some bokeh but my lens doesn't have a wide enough aperture to get what I wanted
Santa
11287345494_1d52ede8bb_z.jpg
Date Taken: 2013-12-08 17:46:45
Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D5100
Lens: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Focal Length: 55 mm
Mode: Manual
Aperture: f/8.0
Exposure Time: 8
ISO: 100

Had to look that one up as I didnt understand the concept sounds interesting

http://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/what-is-the-bokeh-effect-in-photography/

It's quite a cool technique but my lens just couldnt cope, I was trying to get the lights to be more like this but I then could not get Santa in focus.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/skiv3r/DSC_4366.jpg

Wouldn't that other attachment you have give a similar effect of a minimal focal range,the one you used for the grass close up?

I used to have a star effect filter on my old film camera which made lights sparkle quite nicely

Grass close up? I think that was someone else not me :) It is bascially all about having minimal focal range (depth of field) but to get that you need a very wide aperture and my lenses are pretty cheap and don't go below 4.3 I believe.

Oh man, I didn't even see the voting thread was finally up so I didn't vote!

Also, I need to find somewhere to get some holiday shots...

Oh man, I didn't even see the voting thread was finally up so I didn't vote!

Also, I need to find somewhere to get some holiday shots...

I already want to change mine, I think I was so keep to try and get one done i settled on my first idea but now had a couple of much better idea's. If I can pull them off I'm not sure I'll be able to choose!