5 posts in this topic

Posted

I was asked this question today and I could not give an answer.

User wants to use the free Google Site Search but without the Ad's. Is this possible?

I have never used this myself on any site so I do not know. I wonder if there is similar free search that looks like Google but no ads.

thanks

Posted

I suppose you could just give them a search box and redirect to the search term plus "site:website.com". Using "site:" automatically limits the search to the specific web site. It would probably involve sending them to Google for a results page though. If you want nice results on your own site you'd probably need to use their service.

I don't do much of this stuff anymore though, so I'm not sure, maybe someone else has a better answer, that one is just simple and easy without trying to cheat your way into using their service without ads.

Found this also: https://support.google.com/customsearch/answer/70354?hl=en

Posted

Adblock is probably the best you can do.

Posted

So Google Custom Search offers two plans, the free ad-supported plan and the paid non-ad support plan so using the free version ad-free is not really an option. 

But there are other options such as using Sphider

You are not going to have much luck finding a search engine that will give you free searching of your site with the type of style and familiarity of Google. Alternatively if you are a good developer you could check out the Bing Search API. It doesn't seem very promising, but it's worth a shot.

Posted

the other option depending on which CMS you are using  (if you are using one) there might be a search option already built in that you just need to enable. I know post of the popular ones already have search by default.