Photo

Do you still use a mouse and keyboard?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

Poll: Mouse and Keyboard - Fading away, or here forever?

For personal, non-office computing, do you use a mouse&keyboard, or touchscreen?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

• 1,696 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 22:21

Since we are seeing big name companies like Windows fading away from the traditional mouse&keyboard environment, and shifting towards a more touchscreen-oriented user interface, I find myself wondering; are touchscreens really as dominant as people think they are?

So for this poll, think about how you use your computer/tablet/phone in your own free time.  I don't want office/work use skewing the results, since most offices still use mouse and keyboard systems.  Think about checking facebook, playing games, shopping online, checking the weather, your email, reading this very Neowin thread, everything that you can do on either a traditional mouse-and-keyboard OR a touchscreen, consider it in this poll.

For me personally, I spend almost all of my time on a mouse-and-keyboard, despite the fact that my house is full of Android devices.  Sure if I'm on the bus, or on the go, I'll use my smartphone to check my email, but I would really rather be using a mouse.

#2 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 02 December 2013 - 22:23

While a touchscreen is nice, you cant really play games that need a mouse and keyboard, which is almost every desktop game.

#3 OP moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

• 1,696 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 22:26

While a touchscreen is nice, you cant really play games that need a mouse and keyboard, which is almost every desktop game.

I disagree.  I haven't played a game on my PC with a mouse and keyboard in 2 years, the same time that I made my DIY receiver for my wireless xbox 360 controller.  Sure point-and-click games work better with a mouse, but they work EVEN better with a touchscreen.  A mouse gives you better precision and accuracy in first person shooters, but its nowhere near as fun as a gamepad.  And racing/flying sims are just downright silly on a keyboard; the only way to steer is to adjust the rate at which you frantically press the arrow keys.

And I don't know about iOS, but most Androids these days support a USB mouse and keyboard.  For my Galaxy S3, I just plugged in the OTG adapter and plugged in the wireless receiver, and then suddenly a mouse pointer showed up, and I could use my phone like a desktop OS, no root or config editing necessary.

#4 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,170 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 22:29

On a traditional PC, you can't really get away without a physical keypad.  You'd be insane to always do typing on the on-screen keyboard.  You could, I guess, go without a mouse.  But if you're doing that, you're severely hurting your efficiency.  The only downside to a keyboard and mouse is it taking up space, but honestly who cares?

Using a PC without a keyboard and mouse would be a complete nightmare.

#5 OP moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

• 1,696 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 22:31

On a traditional PC, you can't really get away without a physical keypad.  You'd be insane to always do typing on the on-screen keyboard.  You could, I guess, go without a mouse.  But if you're doing that, you're severely hurting your efficiency.  The only downside to a keyboard and mouse is it taking up space, but honestly who cares?

Well I'm not just talking about a PC.  I'm talking about all your digital computing, every day, including your smartphones and tablets.  My question is, for every-day tasks that can be done on either a tablet or a PC, which do you find yourself using more often?  

I disagree that you'd be insane to do typing on the on-screen keyboard.  I would certainly GO insane, myself, because I hate on-screen keyboards, but most of the people around me seem to have no trouble typing out long emails on them.

#6 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,170 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 22:36

Well I'm not just talking about a PC.  I'm talking about all your digital computing, every day, including your smartphones and tablets.  My question is, for every-day tasks that can be done on either a tablet or a PC, which do you find yourself using more often?  

I disagree that you'd be insane to do typing on the on-screen keyboard.  I would certainly GO insane, myself, because I hate on-screen keyboards, but most of the people around me seem to have no trouble typing out long emails on them.

Oh, I see what you're saying.  I guess that's hard to say.  I'm at work for 9+ hours a day and have a desktop PC, so a keyboard and mouse basically rules the majority of my daily computing.  If I'm at home and need to get something done, it will be on my laptop or desktop.  Touchscreens simply aren't good for productivity.  If I'm not at work or home, I'll be on my phone or tablet, if anything.

#7 OP moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

• 1,696 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 22:38

Oh, I see what you're saying.  I guess that's hard to say.  I'm at work for 9+ hours a day and have a desktop PC, so a keyboard and mouse basically rules the majority of my daily computing.  If I'm at home and need to get something done, it will be on my laptop or desktop.  Touchscreens simply aren't good for productivity.  If I'm not at work or home, I'll be on my phone or tablet, if anything.

Well I tried to rule that out in my original post, because I know that most offices use a mouse and keyboard for pretty much anything.  This poll is about non-work-related usage.

#8 Melfster

Melfster

Neowinian Senior

• 1,699 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 22:40

I got rid of my tablet because it kind useless next to a PC.   Tablets are mostly for entertainment and light web browsing for getting work done I really have to use a PC.

#9 Syanide

Syanide

From here to infirmary.

• 4,176 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 22:41

Voted both equally. For the casual stuff it depends on if I'm already sitting on the computer or if I'm on the bed.

#10 OP moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

• 1,696 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 22:44

I have a feeling that maybe Neowin wasn't the most unskewed place to have this poll...

#11 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• 8,363 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 02 December 2013 - 22:53

Apart from composing very occasional, and very short e-mails on my phone, I'm always using a keyboard and mouse/trackpad.

#12 SnoopZ

SnoopZ

Resistance is Futile

• 928 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 22:58

Mouse and keyboard all the way for a desktop PC, if I had a touch screen monitor I would hardly ever use it.

#13 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,744 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 22:59

I always have, and probably will always continue to use, a keyboard & mouse. As it was intended. (Y)

#14 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• 7,707 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 22:59

I don't use any touchscreens whatsoever. Even my cell phone has physical buttons only. Anyway, I tend to sit at more than arm length away from my screens (and more than a meter away in case of my TV), so I don't see how I even could use touch screens.

#15 OP moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

• 1,696 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 23:04

My mother recently got one of those new "hybrid" laptops, not the foldy-swivelly kind, just a regular looking Windows 8 laptop where the screen is actually a touch screen.  She uses the physical keyboard for all her typing, but she almost never uses the trackpad for the mouse, instead almost always opting for using the touchscreen.