New tires, recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• 7,797 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 17:25

Blech to Continental. For performance cars and all-season tires, they are terrible - loud, bad grip, bad performance in any weather other than dry conditions. . I have had excellent luck with Michelin Pilot Sport. Great all-season tire that has great grip on the track. 

continental dws work great for me and get really good reviews.  They are an all season tire, perhaps you should have tried those.  BTW they are pretty quiet.  For track duty either bfg or nitto.

will be buying the dws again, great all season winter tire.

#17 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 17:54

continental dws work great for me and get really good reviews.  They are an all season tire, perhaps you should have tried those.  BTW they are pretty quiet.  For track duty either bfg or nitto.

Yeah, the DWS are good tires. The rest are pretty meh.

I would never rate tires by brand, they vary so widely from model to model and year to year.

#18 shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

• 19,648 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 01 January 2014 - 18:03

My DWS Continentals just plowed through 9 inches of snow with little issue. For an 255/18 tire, they're also smooth and relativity quiet. Grip just fine. My car would also be classed as a performance car. The only thing I don't like about them is the price, but when it comes to price and tires... you DO get what you pay for.

Blech to Continental. For performance cars and all-season tires, they are terrible - loud, bad grip, bad performance in any weather other than dry conditions. . I have had excellent luck with Michelin Pilot Sport. Great all-season tire that has great grip on the track. 

#19 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,835 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:18

My DWS Continentals just plowed through 9 inches of snow with little issue. For an 255/18 tire, they're also smooth and relativity quiet. Grip just fine. My car would also be classed as a performance car. The only thing I don't like about them is the price, but when it comes to price and tires... you DO get what you pay for.

Yes, I know they are all seasons, these are the tires that came with my (old) car. I had 295/30/19 on the rear, and 255/35/19 on front - they were absolutely horrible. Horrible traction issues on slight snow/rain and if it was a major snow storm, I would just give up driving my car. Can't say anything good about these tires - the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 was better in every aspect, although quite a bit more expensive than the Conti's ($175 more per tire). On the track though, the Michelin had way more grip and performed much better in every weather condition. 

#20 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• 7,797 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:41

With snow you were plowing with the rear tires with the continental. Did you maintain the same size or did you go back to stock sizes? You really shouldn't be running that much of a width difference in snow. 275 is the maximum I would go with a 255 front. I would try to keep it at 255 all around or thinner, at the same size. More weight per square cm on a thinner tire, weight is good in the winter.

#21 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,835 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:08

With snow you were plowing with the rear tires with the continental. Did you maintain the same size or did you go back to stock sizes? You really shouldn't be running that much of a width difference in snow. 275 is the maximum I would go with a 255 front. I would try to keep it at 255 all around or thinner, at the same size. More weight per square cm on a thinner tire, weight is good in the winter.

These are pretty much the stock tire size recommended by MB for CLS 63...Honestly should've gone with winter tires :\ I will say it was a pain in the ass to drive in winter, but at the same time very fun in parking lots ;) 

#22 OP riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• 7,815 posts
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:13

Hello,

For now the Rainsports are great :)