Photo

Gaming PC: What should I buy with $1,000 CAD?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: Nexus 5 (Android 4.4.2)

Posted 03 December 2013 - 13:49

Boxing Day is coming up in about 3 weeks and I think it's about time I built a new gaming PC. The last time I did that was late-2007 with upgrades in mid-2008. I'm still running an Intel Core2Duo E6750 + AMD Radeon HD 4870 rig and I can't play Battlefield 4. I tried the beta and the game ran very poorly.

With that said, I have no preferences. What I want is the best bang for the buck. I don't care if it's Intel, AMD, or NVIDIA. What I do care about is long-term viability. I don't want to buy a motherboard that will be obsolete in mid-2013. I want something that will last me so I can upgrade in a year or two.

What do you guys recommend? My budget is $1,000 CAD before taxes (without a monitor and keyboard/mouse). I've been eyeing the Intel Core i5-4770K and AMD Radeon R9 270X. I've also been thinking of going with a cheaper AMD CPU/motherboard and a more expensive video card like the R9 280X or GTX 770.

Anyway, here's a list of recommendations I need:

• CPU
  • Motherboard
  • Video card
  • RAM

#2 Decebalvs Rex

Decebalvs Rex

Transylvanian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: HTC HD2 WP 7.8

Posted 03 December 2013 - 14:17

Go for a GTX 770 or other more expensive GPU than CPU or Mobo. Next CPU arhitecture might change so your current mobo won't probably support next gen Intel line. AMD is cheap and upgradeable but that might change too. I suggest you an i5 (cheapest of them) , a mobo to resist and hold your current rig (mid-level one) and buy a powerful nvidia card. You won't be sorry .

Here we go : Intel i5 4570 or 4670k if you OC.

MSI Z87-G43 GAMING (cheap and good) or Asus Z87-EXPERT perfect for OC.

Nvidia GTX 770/780/780ti.

Kingston HyperX Genesis 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Quad Channel Kit.

I would suggest you to avoid OC and buy a processor with VT.

#3 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 03 December 2013 - 16:37

Core i7 4770

nvidia 770

16GB 1600MHz+

Asus Z87 motherboard of your choosing.

#4 +PeterUK

PeterUK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 03 December 2013 - 17:10

Intel Core i7-4771 is the same price as i7-4770 going by newegg.ca

GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-HD3 or ASUS Z87-A

GTX 770

Go with 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Cas 9-9-9-24 if your not going to use all 8GB for the time being.

And room for 800W PSU if needed

#5 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 520

Posted 03 December 2013 - 17:12

An i7 is completely wasted in a gaming PC. I'd just stick to an i5.

#6 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: Nexus 5 (Android 4.4.2)

Posted 03 December 2013 - 18:39

Go for a GTX 770 or other more expensive GPU than CPU or Mobo. Next CPU arhitecture might change so your current mobo won't probably support next gen Intel line. AMD is cheap and upgradeable but that might change too. I suggest you an i5 (cheapest of them) , a mobo to resist and hold your current rig (mid-level one) and buy a powerful nvidia card. You won't be sorry .

Here we go : Intel i5 4570 or 4670k if you OC.

MSI Z87-G43 GAMING (cheap and good) or Asus Z87-EXPERT perfect for OC.

Nvidia GTX 770/780/780ti.

Kingston HyperX Genesis 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Quad Channel Kit.

I would suggest you to avoid OC and buy a processor with VT.

That's what I was thinking. A cheaper CPU/motherboard and a more expensive video card. More and more games are GPU-limited so my FPS gains would be minimal with an expensive CPU. I don't think I need a CPU with virtualization technology but I'll go with it because it's cheaper than the unlocked model. Is 16GB necessary? I think I'd be okay with 8GB. That's what I have in my current gaming PC and I have never run out of memory.

Core i7 4770

nvidia 770

16GB 1600MHz+

Asus Z87 motherboard of your choosing.

ASUS, I'll most likely go with them for the motherboard. I haven't had any issues whatsoever with my ASUS P5K motherboard. The Core i7-4770 is pretty expensive. The Core i5 is cheaper and performs just as well in most games.

Intel Core i7-4771 is the same price as i7-4770 going by newegg.ca

GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-HD3 or ASUS Z87-A

GTX 770

Go with 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Cas 9-9-9-24 if your not going to use all 8GB for the time being.

And room for 800W PSU if needed

The Core i5-4670 is nearly $100 cheaper. I should probably go for that to save money. I'll go for the ASUS motherboard. Hopefully Newegg or NCIX will have a nice deal for it with the Core i5-4670.

As for the RAM, 8GB is the sweet spot for me.

An i7 is completely wasted in a gaming PC. I'd just stick to an i5.

Agreed. I don't see the point in spending nearly $100 more for little-to-no gains in FPS.

#7 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 03 December 2013 - 18:53

Hello,

With that said, I have no preferences. What I want is the best bang for the buck. I don't care if it's Intel, AMD, or NVIDIA. What I do care about is long-term viability.

In that case, go with Intel. Intel's i line basically, although is expensive up front, gets you the best bang for buck.

Also I recommend NVIDIA. Longer driver support :)

#8 +Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 03 December 2013 - 19:05

Hello,
In that case, go with Intel. Intel's i line basically, although is expensive up front, gets you the best bang for buck.

Also I recommend NVIDIA. Longer driver support :)

I could say the exact opposite. Intel vs AMD vs NVIDIA is a choice, nothing else.

#9 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

Posted 03 December 2013 - 19:13

I could say the exact opposite. Intel vs AMD vs NVIDIA is a choice, nothing else.

This is Neowin. Intel and Nvidia or don't post.

#10 Decebalvs Rex

Decebalvs Rex

Transylvanian

• Phone: HTC HD2 WP 7.8

Posted 03 December 2013 - 19:16

I always tell people : GPU , GPU , GPU > CPU > MOBO.

I have a friend wich bought 300$ mobo, 300$ cpu and 200 $ gpu.  Guess his face when he popped up Battlefield 4, hah !

You can start with the first i5 in the line , cheapest. Mobo , don't make it expensive , look everywhere : H87/z87 are the same in performance terms , perhaps a few useless features in minus - take the HXX mobo.

Add a PSU with can provide 20% more than your system will eat , 8 GB of ram wich is more than enough and a badass GPU.

=

Badass rig.

#11 +Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 03 December 2013 - 19:52

This is Neowin. Intel and Nvidia or don't post.

And a AMD person says that? That's low.

#12 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:23

That's what I was thinking. A cheaper CPU/motherboard and a more expensive video card. More and more games are GPU-limited so my FPS gains would be minimal with an expensive CPU. I don't think I need a CPU with virtualization technology but I'll go with it because it's cheaper than the unlocked model. Is 16GB necessary? I think I'd be okay with 8GB. That's what I have in my current gaming PC and I have never run out of memory.

ASUS, I'll most likely go with them for the motherboard. I haven't had any issues whatsoever with my ASUS P5K motherboard. The Core i7-4770 is pretty expensive. The Core i5 is cheaper and performs just as well in most games.

The Core i5-4670 is nearly $100 cheaper. I should probably go for that to save money. I'll go for the ASUS motherboard. Hopefully Newegg or NCIX will have a nice deal for it with the Core i5-4670.

As for the RAM, 8GB is the sweet spot for me.

Agreed. I don't see the point in spending nearly $100 more for little-to-no gains in FPS.

Finally a sane person who understands this. Just for reference: http://www.ocaholic....php?itemid=1061

#13 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:53

Honestly my old Core i5 750 @3840 is still doing the job just fine in new games like Metro Last Light.

I would definately not recommend a core i7.

#14 +zhiVago

zhiVago

World Citizen

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:05

What do you guys recommend?

I would recommend thinking through the purchasing strategy so to speak.

You say you want the best bang for the buck today and the ability to upgrade 1-2 years down the road. In some scenarios, this could mean taking two mutually exclusive paths.

In any case, GPU's performance should take a priority over CPU since gaming is important to you. Another point of consideration is that the faster your storage solution is, the faster your games will load.

So, here's my recommendation:

• Intel Core i5-4670K ~ $240CAD
  • Asus Z87-Plus or Z87-Pro ~ $170-200CAD;
  • Asus GTX770 ~ $360CAD;
  • 8GB Corsair Vengeance ~ $100CAD;

+ tax.

It's gonna be tight on the budget. So you may want to downgrade the CPU a little. In any case, you should stay with a Haswell (i3 or i5), a 6MB L3 cache i5 is preferable.

If this setup doesn't turn you on and you want something entirely different, I recommend checking out these two articles:

Best Graphics Cards For The Money: November 2013

Best Gaming CPUs For The Money: November 2013

#15 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:35

will you overclock?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!