As Xbox One Complaints Increase, Microsoft Promises Improvements

That's interesting. why do you say those are not as accessible?

From the dash, its literally one click to get into the user tile which shows options to get into the friends list and your achievements.

One thing that took me a little time to get use to is the fact that the old 360 mini-guide is gone. I lived in that mini guide for things like checking on friends, achievements and various other settings. Now, the main dash is the new mini-guide. It operates just like the mini-guide did (i.e. you can quickly switch to it regardless of where you are in the system), but now its full featured thanks to the fact that you can literally access anything else in the system without leaving a game or app.

It's not easy to see who is online, who's in a party, that kind of thing. And IF/WHEN you see an achievement pop, hitting the xbox button doesn't do what it did on the 360. It's more cumbersome than it should be.

Complaining about the UI? Its a million times nicer than the PS4's. Only 1 part of the UI has experience any stutter on my system - the little pop up when you hold down the xbox button. More than I can say for my PS4 which certain parts of the UI are a stutter plagued nigthmare. As for app load times - Console turns off/on really fast. Netflix load time is similar to PS4 netflix load time. App switching to loaded apps is instance.

That is hugely subjective. I happen to like the PS4 UI much more because it's faster and better organized. Each console has good things about its OS, but overall the PS4 is much easier to use and navigate. (in my opinion) You also talk about load times, but don't mention game load times; in which, the PS4 performs much better. At least from what I've experienced.

There is no room for that kind of strategy anymore. You don't see Apple releasing a new phone but locking out 3rd parties for 2 months to have the limelight. You get everyone on board from the start (Y)

Mobile Device's and Consoles are 2 different ends of the same spectrum..

Microsoft is really trying to show off that they can do both the software side and hardware side of things and do them to high level is what they are pushing...

I'm not saying this is a great solution, but what I do is close the store app when I'm done, which resets it to start on the home page the next time I go to it.

To close any app, just hit the 'menu' button on the controller and choose quit.

Ultimately, what they need to do is add a 'home' button you could click on while inside the store app.

I tried that but it still resumes the app from where it left off. My only choice was to reboot the Xbox.

I tried that but it still resumes the app from where it left off. My only choice was to reboot the Xbox.

wow... is this due to bandwith or glitch?

Mobile Device's and Consoles are 2 different ends of the same spectrum..

Microsoft is really trying to show off that they can do both the software side and hardware side of things and do them to high level is what they are pushing...

And how's it working out for them if this topic/news in OP, is anything to go by?

I'm not saying it's doom & gloom. In fact it's just history repeating itself (read the first few pages), for both consoles. A lot of features get chopped/delayed to make the deadlines. People just need to be patient.

It's not easy to see who is online, who's in a party, that kind of thing. And IF/WHEN you see an achievement pop, hitting the xbox button doesn't do what it did on the 360. It's more cumbersome than it should be.

That is hugely subjective. I happen to like the PS4 UI much more because it's faster and better organized. Each console has good things about its OS, but overall the PS4 is much easier to use and navigate. (in my opinion) You also talk about load times, but don't mention game load times; in which, the PS4 performs much better. At least from what I've experienced.

Yeah, those are definitely good points about the UI needing tweaks.

As I mentioned before, the load times for games is higher than normal for sure. I also agree that the ps4 load times are faster form my personal experience so far.

Overall, right now I prefer the X1 UI thanks to its overall layout. The general ui has been smooth for me performance wise, so its been no worse than the ps4. Apps seem to load faster on the X1 than the ps4, for example, plus, some apps still crash for me on the ps4 while I have yet to have a crash like that on the X1. As far as organization, in my opinion, its a wash. There are things I like better on the X1, while there are other things I prefer on the ps4. I much prefer the home dash layout on the X1 vs the ps4 (thanks to things like the pin section and the lack of a feed in the home section). I also prefer the X1's activity feed vs the ps4's (partially because the feed on the X1 is not in my face and has sorting/filtering options vs the ps4's feed on the home screen). Both stores have been a wash for me, but I prefer features that Sony has added like being able to download MP or SP on some games first.

I think both OSes have a ways to go to get all the little things right, especially regarding organization and access to all settings. Both lack an easy way to manage storage and both don't offer a separated view of download and then installation progress. I'm eager to see how both progress as time goes on. I hope they take our feedback to heart.

I've had the store problem as well but you don't need to restart, I just said: "Xbox: Go back" to get me back there...I haven't tried on the controller yet, it's probably in the menu settings.

At least Microsoft responds to its customers unlike some companies who say your not using it right or something :D

Congratulations on being an early adopter (like me). I hate to say, but this is what MS is waiting for, your feedback to all the naissance of this first of a kind gaming (entertainment) console. The console is now being used outside of a control environment, so it is time to make the tweaks based on your feedback. :)

Ah I see it now. I just did a little check and I see the issue. It definitely looks like a bug. So if you go back to the store via the small 'Store' tile, it will always take you back to the last place you were, even if you close it. However, if you just go to the 'Store' section on the dash, it takes you to the location you choose. Also notice that you cannot pin the 'Store' tile, it only shows up on the home section after you have accessed it or via the 'my games and apps' tile.

I think I see the problem. Remember, there is no 'home' page for the store. The home page is the right most section of the main dash. So if you close the 'store' app, where should it default to when it is opened again? The obvious thing to do would be to simply send you one screen over to the top level of the store. If it defaulted to say the game section main page every time, that wouldn't be right either.

So MS needs to add a way to get back to the top level of the store while inside the store (i.e. jump straight to the Store section of the dash) and change the small tile behavior to go to the same place when its been closed.

I didn't notice the problem before because I always go to the right to access the Store and not by clicking on the small tile.

If you've accessed part of the store, and later on want to look at the store at something else, it'll take you to the page you were last at every time. If you press B to go back it'll exit the app. You are literally stuck on that page.

I just realized (and hence quoting this post again) that this behavior is exactly same as Windows Phone's Settings "app" since WP7 Mango. It irritates me even today.

The only issue that bothers me is the party chat. Sometimes it switches from headset to TV and my friends can't hear me. The only way is to leave the party chat and start all over again. Also... why isn't voice enabled by default?

The only issue that bothers me is the party chat. Sometimes it switches from headset to TV and my friends can't hear me. The only way is to leave the party chat and start all over again. Also... why isn't voice enabled by default?

Even though I'm not in a Party, It tells me I have to set my Party to whatever game Im playing when I launch it, and get random people joining my party, even though I'm not in one. Seriously confusing me.

Also... why isn't voice enabled by default?

Probably because most people don't realize Kinect is always listening. There was this thread on reddit where somebody was planning "a session" with his wife while playing Killer Instinct online. His opponent later told him "good luck getting laid". :laugh:

My only real complaint, apart from that slight store issue. Is the damned YouTube app and it's ridiculously oversensitive voice controls. I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to say "Stop Listening" during videos on it, even when no one in the room says anything even similar to the "youtube" prompt

Probably because most people don't realize Kinect is always listening. There was this thread on reddit where somebody was planning "a session" with his wife while playing Killer Instinct online. His opponent later told him "good luck getting laid". :laugh:

That's pretty funny lol :woot: . However there's an option to turn off Kinect Chat. I always do since I like using the headset instead.

I think like any 1.0 product, it needs some polish.  I look forward to seeing what improvements make their way into future updates (And how the software evolves over the life of the console.

I do like the console, but few things are ever perfect...

If you've accessed part of the store, and later on want to look at the store at something else, it'll take you to the page you were last at every time. If you press B to go back it'll exit the app. You are literally stuck on that page.

This is a big one for me...

And for a console that was supposedly pushing digital so hard...  No demos?  What in the heck is that?  lol

This is a big one for me...

And for a console that was supposedly pushing digital so hard...  No demos?  What in the heck is that?  lol

Yeah, that is an issue, but remember, if you simply got to the store by going to the right side of the dash, you'll always get the main page for the category you pick. They just need to improve how that 'store' tile behaves.

I agree about the demo thing. I'm glad demos are now showing up, but I really hope we get back to a point where new releases come with demos.

I think the goal was to get the final full versions out first, being launch and all, then demos would come.   So we're now seeing them show up.   Going forward we'll see the demos first and then the final games later, or at the same time.   It's just a different set of priorities for the launch window.

2. You cant play music while you game without snapping the music app, thereby losing a chunk of your gaming screen (unless im just an idiot and havent figured it out)

I hope that's not true, otherwise that's completely stupid. Thankfully, if they were really that shortsighted, I'd be willing to bet that should be an easy enough fix. (I hope)

Can't download games while in standby, I had to leave my Xbox on for 18 hours to download Battlefield 4.

Ouch. How fast is your internet though? Just curious.

I hope they come out and give us a timeline, even if its vague.

And see, I hope they don't. Update us with solid information as soon as they are reliably able to report. I'd rather they stop shooting themselves in the foot.

I hope that's not true, otherwise that's completely stupid. Thankfully, if they were really that shortsighted, I'd be willing to bet that should be an easy enough fix. (I hope)

Ouch. How fast is your internet though? Just curious.

And see, I hope they don't. Update us with solid information as soon as they are reliably able to report. I'd rather they stop shooting themselves in the foot.

It is true that you can't play music without it being snapped. It is silly, but it also is an easy fix. Skype can already play audio in the background without being snapped, so all they will have to do is enable that for the Xbox Music app as well.

The saving grace is that they are not being limited by the OS, its a full windows OS after all.

As far internet speeds go, I haven't done any timing tests on downloads, but so far the downloads I have done seem to be in line with my internet connection speed. I haven't downloaded a 20+ GB game yet though.

BF4 is big, iirc, I'm not surprised it takes all day to download for people.   We're talking 30-40GB for some titles.  This could just be messy early code for launch games and the sizes could drop, one would hope anyways. 

It is true that you can't play music without it being snapped. It is silly, but it also is an easy fix. Skype can already play audio in the background without being snapped, so all they will have to do is enable that for the Xbox Music app as well.

The saving grace is that they are not being limited by the OS, its a full windows OS after all.

As far internet speeds go, I haven't done any timing tests on downloads, but so far the downloads I have done seem to be in line with my internet connection speed. I haven't downloaded a 20+ GB game yet though.

That's all I really wanted to know. Wanted to make sure there wasn't any download speed limit or whatever. I guess those days are long gone though haha. :P

NBA2K14 is actually the largest game, but honestly the file sizes seem to be all over the map:

NBA2K14 - 43GB

COD - 39GB

Ryse - 35GB

BF4 - 34GB

Forza 5 - 32GB

Just Dance - 22GB

AC4 -21GB

DR3 - 20GB

Need 4 Speed Rivals - 16GB

Madden 25 - 13GB

NBA Live 14 - 9.5GB

FIFA 14 - 9GB