Is my SSD failing? (screenshots included)

According to the text on the first picture, it actually gives 88% because of the write errors. 

It is possible that is where the errors come from. It does make sense if you do 100 - 11 - 1 = 88. But what is the real world basis for a formula like that? What does 88% even mean if it is just 100% minus raw error counts? It is as if someone decided that each error is worth 1% point. Why exactly? Who knows. It just seems to be some arbitrary formula that the devs of the software put in there without much thought. They even manage to give an estimation of days left somehow -- something that would be impossible to give reliable estimates for given there is no MWI on the SSD. Honestly, I think most of these back-of-the-envelope estimates are there to trick the user into thinking the software is feature-filled and worth paying for it instead of using free alternatives.

In general, HDD Sentinel probably shouldn't be reading raw values and using those to indicate health -- drive firmware is suppose to decode that for you and indicate via a normalized value if there is an issue. The OPs drive may have an issue if errors keep accumulating now, but the smart indicators aren't saying there is an issue in any normalized value and they certainly aren't indicating a wear-out issue on the drive as other posters seem to assume based on SSDLife's results.

On a side note, SSDLife's check is actually good under normal circumstances because it is based on the manufacturers idea of health -- known limits for program/erase cycles and the amount of program/erase cycles that have occurred in the drive. Pretty straight forward to compute the amount of cycles left compared to total and get a percentage from that -- that's exactly what the MWI value in smart attributes is -- a percentage computed doing using that information. You can actually do it by hand if you have the right smart information and P/E totals for your drive. Fairly easy to do with Intel's drives anyway.

Ordered a new SSD.

Old: Kingston SSDNow V Series 64GB SATA II (?92 with kit)

New: SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB SATA III (?65, no kit)

Very tempted to ghost my drive to avoid the hassle of clean-installing Windows and getting everything back to how it was.

Buy a decent drive

There more than likely a reason the 128gb sandisk is only ?65 compared to ?100ish for a 128gb vertex 4

I paid around the same for my Kingston 120gb. the extra cost was because it was more expensive when he first bought the original one (with kit) and otherwise you're just paying for brand name and yes a little extra performance.

SSD prices are coming down now anyway compared to a couple of years ago.

Did you use a UPS, with spike protection ?

Maybe voltage spikes shortened the SSD life.

I would zero out the old drive, after you replace it, and see if it will work.

You may find this interesting to read.

Buy a decent drive

There more than likely a reason the 128gb sandisk is only ?65 compared to ?100ish for a 128gb vertex 4

The drive I've purchased gets very good reviews and is put in Tier 2 (of 8 or so tiers) on Tom's Hardware SSD hierarchy.

If you suggest I buy a better one, I suggest you have more money than sense and got ripped off. You'll feel annoyed I wrote that but that's how I feel about you telling me to "buy a decent drive".

• Like 1

The SanDisk looks alright to me. Better than the one you are replacing by a big margin. Make sure you update to the latest firmware and do a clean install of 8.1 so that Windows sets everything up correctly. Don't ghost as you want Windows to ensure it configures itself correctly rather than use the config from your old drive.

The SanDisk looks alright to me. Better than the one you are replacing by a big margin. Make sure you update to the latest firmware and do a clean install of 8.1 so that Windows sets everything up correctly. Don't ghost as you want Windows to ensure it configures itself correctly rather than use the config from your old drive.

Psssh, effort :P But I shall do it :)

Psssh, effort :p But I shall do it :)

Will be worth it :) You should see at least a double read speeds so worth the couple of hours getting everything set up properly :) Also (your sig say 8 not 8.1) is a great time to do a clean install of 8.1 rather than doing an upgrade :yes:

Will be worth it :) You should see at least a double read speeds so worth the couple of hours getting everything set up properly :) Also (your sig say 8 not 8.1) is a great time to do a clean install of 8.1 rather than doing an upgrade :yes:

Oops, should update that. I've had 8.1 for a long time.

The drive I've purchased gets very good reviews and is put in Tier 2 (of 8 or so tiers) on Tom's Hardware SSD hierarchy.

If you suggest I buy a better one, I suggest you have more money than sense and got ripped off. You'll feel annoyed I wrote that but that's how I feel about you telling me to "buy a decent drive".

lol not annoyed at all

was just a suggestion, the drive i bought i paid the extra for because it has a 5 year warranty, worth it in my opinion

well, considering the general health of the drive i would start looking for a new one. Also I've seem SSDLife Pro going ape ###### on a new Kingstong SSD (reported bad drive, multiple times until suddenly it was all OK, even if others SMART apps reported that SSD as OK in the first place).

• Like 1

Did you use a UPS, with spike protection ?

Maybe voltage spikes shortened the SSD life.

I would zero out the old drive, after you replace it, and see if it will work.

You may find this interesting to read.

Agreed with this. There's no indication that the drive is a goner unless R/W or transmission errors persist.