• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#46 BetaAddict

BetaAddict

Uncomplicating the complicated

• Phone: MotoX, Nexus 7, Android 4.4

Posted 08 December 2013 - 17:20

PS4 is sold out for 3 stock drops.

I've heard rumours that the stock drop expected on the 20th of December is going to fall short of pre-ordered 2nd drop numbers (there aren't going to be enough) and that third drop which was due early January is looking like being pushed back to March.

A complete disaster for the PS team here. Microsoft have tons of stock in channel and are just continuing to pump it in.

It does seem like MS is winning the supply race, people are saying there's a large wait for a PS4 depending on market. The XB1 seems to go out of stock for a short time and then a new batch hits the channel.

Sony decided to do a much broader launch than MS, which is why MS appears to be winning the supply race in the US and other major markets they know they have a chance to capture large share. While this means that supply is spread thinner, Sony is playing the larger game of appeasing more markets. People who really want a PS4 will wait around for one. After all, this generation of consoles is expected to last at least until 2020.

#47 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 08 December 2013 - 17:25

I wrote a line about infamous and then removed it :p I don't think Infamous will stand up to either Titanfall or Destiny. I don't follow PS3/4 games so just guessing here but Destiny/Titanfall are in a different league. :p

I'm sure you mean a different league sales wise. 

In the grand scheme of things, you could be right.  Lets face it, shooters sell very well compared to almost any other genre.  If Destiny and Titanfall live up to the AAA hype, then they are likely to be huge sellers.  There are just most fans of shooters then for any other genre.

inFamous is going to be a good game and I think it will sell well, but maybe not fps/tps levels of sales. Again, I don't know what the previous games did sales wise.  It'll get a boost as well as it will be the lone AAA new release for the ps4 when it launches  and many people are eager to get it with the slim selection of games, including myself.

#48 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 December 2013 - 17:29

Sony decided to do a much broader launch than MS, which is why MS appears to be winning the supply race in the US and other major markets they know they have a chance to capture large share. While this means that supply is spread thinner, Sony is playing the larger game of appeasing more markets. People who really want a PS4 will wait around for one. After all, this generation of consoles is expected to last at least until 2020.

That's true, but then no one suggested this when Sony announced 1 million in 24 hrs for 2 regions and MS announced 1 million in 24 hrs for 13 regions.

MS had the broader launch for a couple weeks and the same could apply to them.

But fast forward to today and it has flipped with Sony releasing in 32 regions and the X1 in 13.  Sony announces 2.1 million in 32 regions and suddenly it puts MS' 1 million in 13 regions into perspective.

#49 GotBored

GotBored

Moved to NeoGAF

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 08 December 2013 - 17:55

TitanFall does look good and I'm sure will sell plenty of copies, but it's not an Xbox One exclusive. It will be on PC and 360 also.
..and probably PS4 if it does well after its released. EA are publishing it, so expect them to milk it as much as they possibly can.. I'm thinking a Wii, 3DS, Vita, Android, IOS and anything else out there versions if it sells well.

For Destiny, Sony may have exclusive content for the game but exclusive content means nothing. An extra map, or gun, maybe camos? Realistically these don't really add much extra value to a game. I definitely wouldn't buy a console because one has more exclusive content for the same games.

inFamous on the other hand is a great IP and is a Sony exclusive which pushes PS sales. Xbox has Halo.

#50 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 December 2013 - 18:43

TitanFall does look good and I'm sure will sell plenty of copies, but it's not an Xbox One exclusive. It will be on PC and 360 also.
..and probably PS4 if it does well after its released. EA are publishing it, so expect them to milk it as much as they possibly can.. I'm thinking a Wii, 3DS, Vita, Android, IOS and anything else out there versions if it sells well.

For Destiny, Sony may have exclusive content for the game but exclusive content means nothing. An extra map, or gun, maybe camos? Realistically these don't really add much extra value to a game. I definitely wouldn't buy a console because one has more exclusive content for the same games.

inFamous on the other hand is a great IP and is a Sony exclusive which pushes PS sales. Xbox has Halo.

The point about Titanfall makes sense, but that ignores the fact that if a sequel is made, that is in the future.  So your talking about a AAA shooter that is only available on one next gen console, the X1.  It will most definitely have an impact on X1 sales if its a good game.

The fact that it is on pc and 360 will affect that in some way, but I really don't think it will negate all of its affects. For those that are not big pc gamers and also bought into next generation consoles or are going to buy in, that game could drive them to the X1.

#51 Showan

Showan

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 521

Posted 08 December 2013 - 18:59

The point about Titanfall makes sense, but that ignores the fact that if a sequel is made, that is in the future.  So your talking about a AAA shooter that is only available on one next gen console, the X1.  It will most definitely have an impact on X1 sales if its a good game.

The fact that it is on pc and 360 will affect that in some way, but I really don't think it will negate all of its affects. For those that are not big pc gamers and also bought into next generation consoles or are going to buy in, that game could drive them to the X1.

Thing is, Microsoft and EA have struck some kind of deal. Because TitanFall on the One, will be the definitive version. Using Azure servers and all.

#52 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 08 December 2013 - 19:47

I find it a bit odd though it's early still but titanfall isn't the only exclusive in 2014 for the xbox one that I expect to see. Yes, there's halo as well but I think we're in for more than just that. MS is hinting at having a number of projects in the works for the first year and after that as well. The best thing to do is trickle out exclusives through the whole year if possible. Titanfall is set for March and I expect halo in November, that leaves lots of room for a few more games out of their first party teams to fill.

#53 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 December 2013 - 20:15

I find it a bit odd though it's early still but titanfall isn't the only exclusive in 2014 for the xbox one that I expect to see. Yes, there's halo as well but I think we're in for more than just that. MS is hinting at having a number of projects in the works for the first year and after that as well. The best thing to do is trickle out exclusives through the whole year if possible. Titanfall is set for March and I expect halo in November, that leaves lots of room for a few more games out of their first party teams to fill.

Oh I agree, there will clearly be more.

Both Sony and MS are holding their cards for next year.  Both have exclusives being worked on as we speak that we know nothing about. 

#54 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 08 December 2013 - 21:51

I'm sure you mean a different league sales wise. 

In the grand scheme of things, you could be right.  Lets face it, shooters sell very well compared to almost any other genre.  If Destiny and Titanfall live up to the AAA hype, then they are likely to be huge sellers.  There are just most fans of shooters then for any other genre.

inFamous is going to be a good game and I think it will sell well, but maybe not fps/tps levels of sales. Again, I don't know what the previous games did sales wise.  It'll get a boost as well as it will be the lone AAA new release for the ps4 when it launches  and many people are eager to get it with the slim selection of games, including myself.

Yes, I meant sales wise. Destiny is a system seller (until proven otherwise). Its beta is going to be Playstation exclusive for some period of time.

Destiny is not Playstation exclusive either but it is launching first with exclusive content on PS4. When bungie loyalists have to buy a next gen system, where will they go? especially when Halo is not made by them now.

#55 macrosslover

macrosslover

Muad’Dib

Posted 08 December 2013 - 22:15

Destiny is not Playstation exclusive either but it is launching first with exclusive content on PS4. When bungie loyalists have to buy a next gen system, where will they go? especially when Halo is not made by them now.

He said the beta is going to be a timed exclusive for Playstation which is true.  I personally don't think the exclusive content for Destiny on the PS4 will stay exclusive beyond the launch window.  For the amount of years they are expecting to support the game it's just going to get to the point where everything is released on all platforms at the same time just because it makes financial sense.

#56 incendy

incendy

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 08 December 2013 - 22:18

Best Buy has PS4's in stock in San Francisco right now, not sure about elsewhere.

#57 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 December 2013 - 00:14

Well yeah, but they are also low on stock in all markets, where as MS is pushing tons of stock into channels in all of their markets.

Microsoft are making more consoles, by a long way, but you are right it is amplified by this effect.

Also, the latter part isn't entirely true. We are seeing a lot of conversions at retail because people can't get PS4s until March/April. As a result, lots of impromptu XBox One sales. I'd say about 40-50% of people coming through the door looking for PS4 are getting cross sold on the spot in the locations I've seen. People want their consoles for Christmas, and given there is no backwards compatibility, there's not much to hold them to a console they currently have.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!