Feel like a Prisoner

its just me but here is what I would do if I was unhappy in my current situation....try to line up another job that i could do for a while till I could get in the job I want and tell the current people 'see ya!"  your performance could suffer if you are unhappy and that will give them an excuse to continue the pressure or even terminate employment.  basically just saying ...get out while you can  no contract is worth your happiness...so when the contract date ends leave!!!  make plans now....good luck

• Like 1

Hello,

I'm not particularly familiar with how UK apprenticeship contracts work, but you initially got this through a governemental or quasi-governmental agency, is that correct?  If so, it may be best to approach them about the situation, as it seems your ersatz employer may be taking advantage of them.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

mdurden: You are 100% right.  You find another job, and then you leave for said other job.  But the OP seems to act like a victim ("woe is me, I never have a say in anything") - people with that attitude annoy me.

There's a saying "they expect the world to owe them a living".  It doesn't mean what people misinterpret: "The world owes me money"... It means that they expect the world to provide the job they want.  That's not how things work - you carve your own world, career, life.

Well do what I had to do when I was at college, sweep factory floors, serve in Casey Jones, do the night shift at 7-11, stack shelves in a supermarket, working in a chemist etcetera.

You ca do this till something better comes along.

I've always found it extremely difficult to even get one such job when I'm unemployed, let alone that many.

Simply too many people applying for them.

• Like 1

If you are unhappy you need to find another job. Pretty simple really. I have done jobs I have hated but that is life. I didn't want to be in my late 20s with no job still living in my parents house like some loser waiting for their unemployment pay check (this is what JSA is I assume?). I didn't want to have to work but I also didn't want to be a waste of space. I had depression after college as I couldn't find work. I remember being told "you gotta go to college you ain't gonna get a job otherwise" and yet for almost a year after college I couldn't get a job better than working at an Amazon or Walmart warehouse. Getting medical help here is hard as we don't have nice things like the NHS to support you when you need it. Don't have a job? No insurance? Oh well you are screwed! I was lucky to get help from my parents and grandparents, saw a doctor, got some therapy and some meds (Zoloft ftw!) which turned my life around. I got a slightly better job than picking up DVDs and books all day, then got a nice little office job, did some training and studying in my own time and now do a job I love (C++ developer).

Sorry I went on a bit of a rant there. I don't mean to be giving you a hard time but you have a job! A lot of people would kill for that. If you don't enjoy it then it is up to YOU to change things. Ain't nobody gonna change things for you. What do you want to do? You need to answer that question first. If you don't know then you need to figure out what it is you do want to do. Everyone has to do this. Nobody is born and just knows what they wanna be. They work out what it is they wanna do with their life and then study/work towards that.

I've always found it extremely difficult to even get one such job when I'm unemployed, let alone that many.

Simply too many people applying for them.

Really? I mean I know getting a decent job can be hard but Walmart are always looking for night staff, etc. Yeah they are ###### jobs but I can't believe they are that hard to get.

<snip> I didn't want to be in my late 20s with no job still living in my parents house like some loser waiting for their unemployment pay check <snip>

God, people like you wind me up.

Really? I mean I know getting a decent job can be hard but Walmart are always looking for night staff, etc. Yeah they are ****ty jobs but I can't believe they are that hard to get.

If they're anything like ASDA, Sainsbury's, Tesco, they're very hard to get.

Why?

Not everyone's mind can handle working almost all of life's daylight hours. Not everyone who is 28, unemployed and living with their parents is a loser.

WE ARE NOT ALL LAZY.

I'm leaving this topic, it's making me angry.

Not everyone's mind can handle working almost all of life's daylight hours.

So work nights then :p But seriously what does that even mean? "Not everyone's mind can handle" ?! Handle what?? Life??

Not everyone who is 28, unemployed and living with their parents is a loser.

Yeah ok not everyone working a job and living with their parents are losers, that is unfair but unless they have a valid reason for not having a job and having to move back home then I don't have much time for them sorry.

WE ARE NOT ALL LAZY.

Not saying everyone is lazy but if you are not working for more than a couple of months (you say getting an job in ASDA (which is Walmart) is hard but anyone can get even a ****ty job in a few months) and are relying living in your parents place with no long term goals in life then what else am I to call people but lazy? If you are sick or whatever then fair enough.

I'm leaving this topic, it's making me angry.

What are you getting angry at? I am actually interested to know as I can't see what there is to get angry about!?