android google java oracle

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,364 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 14:08

So whom do you think should win this ######?

Well Google already lost on the actual code claims (The rangeCheck function, which Oracle claimed was super important, but everybody else realised it wasn't, and the unit tests), what they're fighting over now is whether or not you can copyright an API, which I think is a terrible idea and shouldn't happen.

A copyrighted API isn't covering the code itself (That already can be copyrighted), what we're talking about then is copyrighting how the code is invoked.

Edit: If I have a REST API for a web service, does that mean I can copyright certain URLs? etc.

#17 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,762 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 23:44

^ That RangeCheck function was pathetic. That's pretty much how ANYone writes a bloody range check function so claiming copyright on that is just ######.

#18 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:36

Edit: If I have a REST API for a web service, does that mean I can copyright certain URLs? etc.

According to Oracle, yes.

#19 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• 1,772 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:09

But the thing is, if you have a website, the content of the URL is already copyrighted. So functionally, there's no difference between a REST API and a URL.