Disable hibernate/standby???

I've heard that you can save a lot of spave and speed up your system if you disable hibernate and standby on your computer.

Hibernate is easy to turn off...and standby I have no idea where to turn off...

Is it true?

turning off Standby wont be any different. So Hibernate is the only one you need to worry about. To turn it off though you need to go in the BIOS and disable ACPI.

standby doesnt take up any space at all....all it does is shut off as much devices on your computer as it can.and keeps power flowing to the critical parts like the RAM to keep your place and puts your computer in a low power state.

hehe.. let me add that it depends on which version of standby you use. The reason why i don't even use Hibernate is that standby (S3 version) will shut off da PC totally... and it boots back in waaay less time than hibernate :) I never turn off my PC though so that's a feature that i don't use.. :)

Freexa - what you're talking about is the S1 Version of standby :)

1. Change Your System to "Standard PC" Over "ACPI" In Device Manager. Just go to update driver and choose standard pc from the list. no need for a BIOS Change or anything.

Or

2. Just Go To Power Properties and Uncheck the Hibernation Check Mark, This will give you back the Amount of RAM You Have In Hard Drive Space.

Originally posted by freeza

damn

LOL my computer must be old,, how the hell can i upgrade to at least S2 or S3

hehe.. there is no S2, just S3 but maybe a BIOS update will add that functionality to your PC if it's not too old or a OEM system like dells and all that. If you bought your mobo between Jan00 to now then it should have it (brand new, not a brand new old model) hehe.

I wouldn't mess with bios settings for something like that.

Just disable hybernate support inside the Power control panel.

Also System Restore will use up some extra space as well, disable that in my computer properties (somewhere).

he probably has a piece of hardware that xp doesn't like for standby, thats the only thing i can think of, there's really no 1 place where you can disable standby.

for example if i install my piece of junk encore dxr3 from creative, the system disables standby. because its a device that doesn't work properly in that mode.