Teenager furious after paying

A TEENAGER has been left fuming after mistakenly buying a photo of an in-demand computer console online.

Peter Clatworthy thought he had paid ?450 for an XBox One console on eBay, but actually received a picture of one in the post.

The 19-year-old student, of Bilborough, had saved up in order to buy a limited edition Day One version of the console as a surprise Christmas present for his four-year-old son, McKenzie.

He has now contested the purchase with eBay, which has investigated and stated he should get a full refund from the seller.

Mr Clatworthy said: "I've had to make a joke out of it because I was that angry. At least we've now got something to laugh about in the years to come.

"I always buy stuff on eBay and this had never happened before."

Mr Clatworthy made the purchase on November 28, paying ?450 plus ?8 packaging.

Despite the listing stating it was a photo of an XBox One Day One edition console, Mr Clatworthy said he'd expected to receive the console as it was listed in the video games and consoles category on eBay.

He said: "It said 'photo' and I was in two minds, but I looked at the description and the fact it was in the right category made me think it was genuine. :huh:

"I looked at the seller's feedback and there was nothing negative. I bought it there and then because I thought it was a good deal.

"It's obvious now I've been conned out of my money."

Mr Clatworthy received the photo in the post on Monday, saying: "They'd written on the back of it 'thank you for your purchase'. I was fuming."

The XBox One was released in the UK on November 22, with a special Day One edition reserved for those who picked the machine up on its first day of sale.

Since then, there have been reports of people buying empty XBox One packaging via eBay, and paying hundreds of pounds for the privilege.

When the Post searched for 'XBox One Day One edition consoles' on the website yesterday, a number of genuine consoles were up for sale.

There was, however, one lot of 'XBox One Day One edition retail packaging' which received 80 bids and sold for ?7,200.

Mr Clatworthy was informed by eBay yesterday that, as he paid via PayPal, he can expect to receive a full refund from the seller, who has until Monday to pay up.

A spokesman for eBay, the online marketplace, said: "We don't allow listings which mislead, and will take action against this seller.

"Customers can shop with confidence on eBay as we guarantee you will get your item or your money back. Mr Clatworthy is covered by the eBay money-back guarantee and we will be contacting him to put things right."

Tessa Coates, Trading Standards Officer at Notts County Council, said: "We are not aware of an eBay scam of this nature.

"However, we would encourage all eBay buyers to pay for their goods using PayPal to give them extra protection.

"PayPal states that if the item doesn't match the seller's description or gets lost in the post then it will give the buyer their money back."

She added: "Our main tips for buying online generally this Christmas is make sure you're getting a good deal, know who you're dealing with and protect your personal and financial information."

Read more: http://www.nottinghampost.com/Warning-student-pays-pound-450-photo-Xbox/story-20263203-detail/story.html#ixzz2md2K9tjt

This kid deserves to be scammed, it looks like a photo but i bought it anyway..

It's not even a good photo :D  they must have got loads of people because this looks like he got the back end of the print run :laugh:

Oh, it's a "computer console?"  Is the journalist 85?  Why not just call it a "TV video game VCR?"  And it's a surprise for his four-year-old?  BS!  It's a gift for himself!

He'll probably get his money back. eBay tends to heavily favor buyers.

Unless the seller has emptied his paypal account and can't be contacted ;)

I bought something on eBay once and got scammed (nowhere near as bad as this though lol and it only cost $20), contacted eBay and they started their investigation. They sided with me and said I should get my money soon, then they replied back and said "the seller has emptied his paypal account and so we've contacted law enforcement to see if they can track him down, but at the moment there's nothing we can do. We'll keep you informed if anything changes." And that was the last I heard from them...and this was 10 years ago lol.

while i think it is horrible , people need to pay more attention to what they are spending their money on. 

Read more: http://www.nottinghampost.com/Warning-student-pays-pound-450-photo-Xbox/story-20263203-detail/story.html#ixzz2md2K9tjt

This kid deserves to be scammed, it looks like a photo but i bought it anyway..

It's not even a good photo :D  they must have got loads of people because this looks like he got the back end of the print run :laugh:

So he's a 19 year old, with a 4 year old son, who bought an item that SAID it was a photo...

yeah, I'm thinking he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer... and sure, he bought an xbox one for his 4 year old.... what was the 4 year old going to play on it ? not an abundance of child friendly launch titles for 4 year olds :p

OK, I understand it is crappy for someone to knowingly sell a picture of something hoping it will not be read closely.  But 19 and has 4 year old ?  Something tel .... meh Im not saying anything that hasnt already been said - the guy is an absolute idiot -

The saying, A "sucker is born every minute" was created for people like this.

Wait - can a 4 year old even play a console game ?  I mean really play it ?

Guy doesnt exactly look like Oxford material

Stupid is as stupid does. 

No sympathy. The advert was clear. He read and understood it and took a gamble. He should get nothing. 

• Like 2

Reminds me of back in 2007 (I think) when I tried to use eBay to buy my first 360. The seller took my money and never sent me a 360. eBay only refunded $200 because that was their max bid insurance at the time, so I was still out $200. eBay refused to hold the seller accountable and I never got my money back. It's the reason why I haven't used eBay since, and will never use it again.

I'm glad this kid is getting a full refund though. Hopefully the seller gets banned too.

So he's a 19 year old, with a 4 year old son, who bought an item that SAID it was a photo...

yeah, I'm thinking he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer... and sure, he bought an xbox one for his 4 year old.... what was the 4 year old going to play on it ? not an abundance of child friendly launch titles for 4 year olds :p

If that is the situation, why would he get a refund?

It's a shame that Ebay sides with these people.  Why in the world would anybody bid that much money without reading (or understanding) what they are putting their money on?  Granted this one was obviously some sort of stupidity trap, but the seller clearly described it correctly.  This sort of thing happens all the time.  

I had a Wii box laying around a few years ago, and instead of recycling it, I decided to list it on Ebay since a lot of people genuinely like to have the original box for things (myself included).  I started it at around $10, which would be reasonable for something like that, and exclaimed multiple times in the description that it was just the box and the console wasn't included. Amazingly, a bunch of idiots still bid it up to over $100.  Of course immediately after they had sent the payment, they email me whining about how I'm conning them, blah blah blah.  They opened a case, Ebay sided with them, and it was a tremendous waste of my time.

The sellers are the ones that make the money for Ebay, so it's pretty sad that they get treated like crap.

The first two wtf about this article is that:

He had a kid at 15 years old.

He's buying a 4 year old an xbone.

So that he bought a picture off ebay doesn't cause you to wtf?

He put on a photo of a condom.

This is why you should make expensive purchases of highly desirable items from Amazon or from a retailer!

This is why you should make expensive purchases of highly desirable items from Amazon or from a retailer!

Yup. Wasn't even like he was getting the console for any less than what's available than on the highstreet.