Teenager furious after paying

He is 19, he is a student, he has a 4 year old kid.  And yet he had such money to waste without verifying his acknowledged doubts that this was just a photo?

We're living in a ######ed up world.

It doesn't excuse the fact that the buyer clearly saw it say "photo" and proceeded regardless.

From the article it only said photo in the title. It was listed in the console hardware section and in the description said it was an Xbox One. He put that listing out there with the intention of misleading people into buying it. That is fraud and hence why Ebay/PayPal refunded him. 

Unless the seller has emptied his paypal account and can't be contacted ;)

I bought something on eBay once and got scammed (nowhere near as bad as this though lol and it only cost $20), contacted eBay and they started their investigation. They sided with me and said I should get my money soon, then they replied back and said "the seller has emptied his paypal account and so we've contacted law enforcement to see if they can track him down, but at the moment there's nothing we can do. We'll keep you informed if anything changes." And that was the last I heard from them...and this was 10 years ago lol.

May be law enforcement is still working on to track that dude. 

The most prominent field in a whole listing...  It is not fraud, ebay refunded because they have very liberal policies towards buyers.

It also included the wrong description, using eBay's description for the physical console, listed in the console hardware section, it used the eBay stock photo of the console, not a photo of his actual product. The things telling him its a physical console outnumber the one listing which included "photo" in it. It reeks of deliberately misleading customers. That is fraud. 

No.  It's not.  It clearly states in the title.

It stated in the description that it was a console. In the subsection for consoles. If youre misleading the customer with false information to get them into a sale, its fraud. The description listed it as a physical console, not a photo. It was listed in the hardware section, not photo section. This is false information. Its fraud.

So he's a 19 year old, with a 4 year old son, who bought an item that SAID it was a photo...

yeah, I'm thinking he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer... and sure, he bought an xbox one for his 4 year old.... what was the 4 year old going to play on it ? not an abundance of child friendly launch titles for 4 year olds :p

Call Of Duty Ghosts most likely.

No it's not.  Keep saying it is, but really you're flogging a dead horse.  The most prominent field, the title, states photo.

One field with photo in it doesn't exclude the fact every other field in the listing told him it was a physical console, not a photograph. If you're providing false information to get a sale, it is the textbook description of fraud. 

He provided false information and gained a sale he wouldn't have otherwise gotten. That one field doesn't mean the other fields don't exist, they were there, telling him it was a console, not a photo of a console. Its still fraud, even with the one field saying photo.

If you're too lazy and can't be arsed to read the description of the auction, then that's the risk you take.

Learn to read before clicking buy it now and making a contract with the seller.

No it's not.

Fraud = wrongful deception used for the purposes of financial or personal gain. The listing contained lies and deceit on multiple areas of the listing. It was deliberately listed under the console section, not the photo section, if someone genuinely wanted to buy a photo, the listing wouldn't be visible to them, it was put in place to appear to people trying to buy the physical console, the description said it was the physical console, not a photo, the stock sales photo for eBay was shown, not a photo of the paper. Do you have anything to show it isn't fraud? Or are you arguing that a single piece of truth makes all the lies, misinformation and deceit go away? You've repeatedly stated "it isnt" with nothing to back it up.

If you're too lazy and can't be arsed to read the description of the auction, then that's the risk you take.

Learn to read before clicking buy it now and making a contract with the seller.

The description stated it was the physical console, not a photo, and it was listed under the console hardware section .

Im actually a seller, and I can tell you 1 thing for certain. You are able to spend the money as soon as you get it, if you are a reputable seller. Withdraws maybe a different story, we usually dont withdraw from paypal, just use it to buy other things online. There is no wait time to 'spend' the cash. 

But, with paypal, you are required to have a bank account on file, along with a verified address, otherwise you cannot use paypal in full. Once them 2 are verified, they pretty much can track you down if need be. Which is good imo.

Don't trust PayPal with your money, any significant amount get it banked. It's unlikely you would receive any problems being small time account but heard so many stories of accounts being locked up or hacked. Not worth the risk.

There should be zero contest here and E-Bay should stick with the policy that it is sold exactly as the listing is.

The problem here is eBay* want people to bid and sell with confidence. With these measures in place it helps. Unfortunately it just protects idiots.. i personally agree that he shouldn't get his money back since he already stated he knew it said photo.

It's a tricky one because it's sellers like this that ruin eBay, out to mislead and make money off the not-so-switched-on.

eBay can get very complicated very quickly.. not a single member of my family have a clue how to use it, infact my sister has been scammed with event tickets before, they don't really know what they are looking for, not aware of the dangers and happily bid away thinking it 'just works'.

How clearly labeled was it? 

Clear enough for him to work out it was a photo before placing a bid.

Why are you buying a $500 device for a 4 year old? Short answer, its not for the kid...its for him.  I am also willing to bet this is the same kind of person working at retail and demanding more $$$ for doing so.

You are a teen...you have a kid...the kid doesnt need this...you need to support your kid and 500 will do more buying food and clothes.

the end.

tbh i think he shouldve lost his money. He knew it was a photo, because it clearly said it was a photo, but gambled on it anyway. Wouldve been a good life lesson tbh......you get screwed over if you're an idiot.....maybe it wouldve done him some good to lose his money, would be more careful and show more respect for it i think

Dont get me wrong i still think the seller is an douche but in his defense he did clearly state it was a photo, whenever i buy something, i know this might sound a bit crazy but when i buy anything, i read the title and description (not the automated stuff ebay adds there) and if there is any doubt i will ask the seller a question. I dont really pay much attention to the category part as i find half the stuff on there is in the wrong one anyway. I just throw my money out there and hope i get what i want rather than what it said it was

I would maybe show a little sympathy if the guy had said "i missed the photo part" as he was too excited to buy it, but the fact he saw it, thought about it being a photo and still went ahead

• Like 2

Why are you buying a $500 device for a 4 year old? Short answer, its not for the kid...its for him.  I am also willing to bet this is the same kind of person working at retail and demanding more $$$ for doing so.

You are a teen...you have a kid...the kid doesnt need this...you need to support your kid and 500 will do more buying food and clothes.

the end.

Why does the reason he was buying an Xbox One matter in the first place?

It shows evidence of how stupid he is, and why he fell for this auction.

:shifty:

Does it have to matter to express my opinion on the story?  The guy is an idiot.  An idiot for buying a 4yr old an xbox, an idiot for having a kid that young, and an idiot for reading the sale item when it said PICTURE and still buying the "device".  I see darwin in this kids future.

Does it have to matter to express my opinion on the story?  The guy is an idiot.  An idiot for buying a 4yr old an xbox, an idiot for having a kid that young, and an idiot for reading the sale item when it said PICTURE and still buying the "device".  I see darwin in this kids future.

The guy isn't an idiot for buying it for his son.

Obviously it wouldn't just be for him.  I have purchased consoles in the past so that my daughter and I could play games together.

Did I say it was for her?  Of course.  Was it actually a family gift, leaning towards being mine?  Yep.

I wouldn't say I am an idiot though.  This guy is, of course, but not for the reasons he wanted the console.

the end.

i doubt the guy has a job, a 19-year old with a 4 year old son is most likely living at home leeching off society.

I wouldn't say I am an idiot though.  This guy is, of course, but not for the reasons he wanted the console.

Well, you have a job and probably a wife/stable family and income.  So I wouldnt call you an idiot either.  But for a single young parent, probably living at home, a 500 XBOX is not something a kid that age needs or the dad for that matter.  If the kid was older, financially sound, and had a stable living environment...then I'd have no comment.