Photo

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,894 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:55

id rather a taser hit someone than a bullet. The police should only use them as last resort. I'm not sure it was a last resort situation in this case.  I mean creating a disturbance is grounds for being shot these days?

What do you expect? With a society that lives by the gun, dying by the gun will be commonplace.

Sorry dude, but that's life.

#17 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,789 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:42

id rather a taser hit someone than a bullet. The police should only use them as last resort. I'm not sure it was a last resort situation in this case. I mean creating a disturbance is grounds for being shot these days?

Some of the reports haven't been that enlightening about this guy. He had a LONG rap sheet, including firearms charges, and was well known to the NYPD. He was also a formidable ~250 lbs, and when the cops fired he had reached into his pocket and acted like he was brandishing a weapon.

The bad part of this was how poorly the cops performed in terms of clearing the background before firing and just p*ss poor marksmanship & shot selection.

#18 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,290 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:36

What do you expect? With a society that lives by the gun, dying by the gun will be commonplace.

Sorry dude, but that's life.

I don't accept that answer. Just because someone has a gun doesn't mean they have to use it. 

Some of the reports haven't been that enlightening about this guy. He had a LONG rap sheet, including firearms charges, and was well known to the NYPD. He was also a formidable ~250 lbs, and when the cops fired he had reached into his pocket and acted like he was brandishing a weapon.

The bad part of this was how poorly the cops performed in terms of clearing the background before firing and just p*ss poor marksmanship & shot selection.

Doesn't matter if he had a long criminal history, they wouldn't know that till they ran his name anyway, they could of gotten close enough with 3 or 4 police officers to tase this guy as he was reaching into his pocket. The police preformed poorly on all aspects in my opinion. 

#19 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,894 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:44

I don't accept that answer. Just because someone has a gun doesn't mean they have to use it. 

Tell that to all the gun toting US citizens and cops that seem to have developed a "Shoot first, ask questions later" philosophy.

#20 He's Dead Jim

He's Dead Jim

Neowinian Senior

• 2,237 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:49

someone must've shouted; "he's in the minaret" just as the cop drew...

#21 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,290 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:50

Tell that to all the gun toting US citizens and cops that seem to have developed a "Shoot first, ask questions later" philosophy.

You might want to actually head over to a forum like Calguns.net and say that to them. I know for a fact that the majority of gun owners are not the shoot first and ask questions later kind.

#22 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,894 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:53

You might want to actually head over to a forum like Calguns.net and say that to them. I know for a fact that the majority of gun owners are not the shoot first and ask questions later kind.

Read the ENTIRETY of my sentence.  I'm not pointing at all gun owners, dude. Just the ones with a "shoot first ask later" philosophy.  I was quite specific, you know. ;)

#23 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,290 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:57

Read the ENTIRETY of my sentence.  I'm not pointing at all gun owners, dude. Just the ones with a "shoot first ask later" philosophy.  I was quite specific, you know. ;)

The point is I don't know of anyone that has that mindset. I have several shooting buddies I even have a friend that owns a gunshop, plus the countless hours I spend on firearms forums. I haven't came across anyone that advocates shooting first and asking questions later. 

#24 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 06 December 2013 - 13:01

You must not have any cops on your message boards then. :laugh:

#25 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,290 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 13:01

You must not have any cops on your message boards then. :laugh:

We do, lots of cops and military both active and retired. The cops do tend to get protected on the forums though. Like a thread like this would be shut down within minutes. 

#26 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,390 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted 06 December 2013 - 13:02

'Merica again.

#27 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,290 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 13:04

'Merica again.

I bet we could find something F'd up happening in Australia. Stuff happens in every country.. 

#28 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,327 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 13:25

they wouldn't know that till they ran his name anyway, they could of gotten close enough with 3 or 4 police officers to tase this guy as he was reaching into his pocket. The police preformed poorly on all aspects in my opinion. 

He was so well known, they knew him by looking at him.... this is not uncommon. BTW, it's pretty fun to play Arm Chair Police Officer from your house behind a computer, no? My point is, you don't really know all the facts of the case, so to try to resolve the could have should have would have stuff from here, seems a bit like a waste of time.

#29 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,290 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 13:28

He was so well known, they knew him by looking at him.... this is not uncommon. BTW, it's pretty fun to play Arm Chair Police Officer from your house behind a computer, no? My point is, you don't really know all the facts of the case, so to try to resolve the could have should have would have stuff from here, seems a bit like a waste of time.

You could say having an opinion on any topic on this forum is a waste of time. 

#30 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 06 December 2013 - 13:29

As much of a waste as trying to defend it, is it not? That's what we do on message boards, we discuss stuff openly. If you have facts that contradict, then by all means share. It's not like any of this means anything anyway, haha.