Android Phone and iPad

I don't like Android, could have been because I first tried on a HTC Aria and then the Samsung Note 1. But the Nexus 5 has me curious, and I was wondering how many people are running an android phone and using an iPad. I love the ecosystem, being able to text from my iPad is nice. But, if I switch to the Nexus 5, how can I continue using the ecosystem I'm in? I know I can use Dropbox to sync my photo's to each device, I know I can text from my iPad using my email as well.

What else can I do? I'd like to hear some recommendations.

Edit: Would the Nexus 5 be a good upgrade from an iPhone 4S? I also use an iMac, I had issues with the Note 1 due to using OSX.

I use bluetooth to send a photo between my devices...  If I need to send photos at once, then I can email them to myself and download them on other device.

About texting. I use Airdroid so I can send/receive text on PC.  I don't have any mac pc/laptop yet.  Airdroid can let you manage your files on PC. Not a problem.

You can send email to iPad users via email... they receive them via either email or iMessage.

I don't have any cloud storage setup yet... I mean skydrive, dropbox, etc.

Alright, if I go with a Nexus 5, I just want the smoothest transition. I do remember having issues with transferring my contacts from my iPhone to Note.

I don't want my Gmail contacts in my phone.

Would the Nexus 5 be a good upgrade from an iPhone 4S? I also use an iMac, I had issues with the Note 1 due to using OSX.

Alright, if I go with a Nexus 5, I just want the smoothest transition. I do remember having issues with transferring my contacts from my iPhone to Note.

I don't want my Gmail contacts in my phone.

You can back contacts up and pick what you want for the new device...

if you don't want gmail contacts, then don't enable the email sync. Or don't use google services on it...

You can use other account such as outlook, yahoo, etc.. so you can use it for sync data, contacts, etc.

You can back contacts up and pick what you want for the new device...

if you don't want gmail contacts, then don't enable the email sync. Or don't use google services on it...

You can use other account such as outlook, yahoo, etc.. so you can use it for sync data, contacts, etc.

Anyway I can sync my contacts without syncing my email contacts from gmail?

Anyway I can sync my contacts without syncing my email contacts from gmail?

Yes as long as you have google/gmail sync off while your favorite account sync is on. such as Outlook, Yahoo, etc.

You can disable contact or gmail on that sync options like this:

Screenshot_2012-08-24-06-48-23.jpg

Not my image but I found it on Google.

Okay, if I uncheck Contacts, it won't sync my email contracts correct?

Only thing I'd want synced are my emails unless I can get emails still without it being synced and my Chrome account.

Is it a worth upgrade from the 4S?

If you have contacts saved on your phone (or save them to Outlook or whatever you prefer), then you shouldn't have a problem. And you have Google's contact sync off.

If not, you won't be able find contact when you compose an email unless you have the email addresses memorized.

Yes it is worth to upgrade from 4S ...  but it is up to you to upgrade or not.

I left Apple phone world years ago. I have iPad 2 for home use only but will replace the iPad with new android tablet.. not sure what to get yet.

I have Tab 3 for traveling.

I have had the nexus 5 for about a week now and i LOVE it.  the screen is gorgeous, the phone is fast, and on LTE, you definitely notice a difference when browsing the web.  The only draw back is the battery, i think it has a 2300 mAh battery, so if you are a heavy user, you may find your battery almost dead if not dead by the end of the day, there are solutions for that, but other then that the phone is solid and runs great.

Well I usually have to charge my iPhone 4S throughout the day when I use it heavily.

Very tempting. I could easily just organize my Gmail contacts, I did buy an app for the Note 1 that transferred the contacts over.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, if I uncheck Contacts, it won't sync my email contracts correct?

Only thing I'd want synced are my emails unless I can get emails still without it being synced and my Chrome account.

Is it a worth upgrade from the 4S?

N5 is worth the upgrade over the 4s.  If looking to xfer contacts, just do a simple search.

http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-transfer-contacts-iphone-android-186636/

If you're already invested in the Apple ecosystem, why not upgrade to the 5C/5S? It will integrate better with your Mac/iPad. This is not to say you can't make it work with an Android phone, but there will be challenges in keeping data in sync/integration with iOS/OS X. For pictures, you could also use Google+ auto backup/Dropbox/Other cloud services on either iPad/Nexus 5 (or any other Android smartphone). Looks like contacts sync questions have been answered.

On the other hand, the Nexus 5 is a great device given its pricing. It is a very quick device - I have never used a phone that just felt snappier, battery life is excellent. The only downsides I can tell you are: 1) Sound - just absolutely terrible 2) Camera - meh overall, it's hit or miss with pictures and videos. 3) Build quality - coming from an HTC One, so this is bound to happen. Given the price point, I can give the N5 a break on all these things. 

Having said that, I'd still go iPhone in your situation.

If you're already invested in the Apple ecosystem, why not upgrade to the 5C/5S? It will integrate better with your Mac/iPad. This is not to say you can't make it work with an Android phone, but there will be challenges in keeping data in sync/integration with iOS/OS X. For pictures, you could also use Google+ auto backup/Dropbox/Other cloud services on either iPad/Nexus 5 (or any other Android smartphone). Looks like contacts sync questions have been answered.

On the other hand, the Nexus 5 is a great device given its pricing. It is a very quick device - I have never used a phone that just felt snappier, battery life is excellent. The only downsides I can tell you are: 1) Sound - just absolutely terrible 2) Camera - meh overall, it's hit or miss with pictures and videos. 3) Build quality - coming from an HTC One, so this is bound to happen. Given the price point, I can give the N5 a break on all these things. 

Having said that, I'd still go iPhone in your situation.

Don't get me wrong, if the iPhone had a bigger screen like the Nexus 5, I'd stay. But, I also want to lean towards a cheaper ecosystem like the Nexus branding. I use to upgrade every year on my devices, but then unlocking iPhone's became harder and costs more money. It was nice with ultrasn0w, but that is gone, so I don't make as much if at all any money.

But that's not the main reason, the main reason is screen size and I'd like to further my knowledge with different phone systems. My wife is afraid I'll spend the money and then not like it.

I do have a question about the Nexus 5 though, I was under the impression it works on Sprint / AT&T / T-Mobile. I went to Best Buy and they told me it only works for Sprint.

Don't get me wrong, if the iPhone had a bigger screen like the Nexus 5, I'd stay. But, I also want to lean towards a cheaper ecosystem like the Nexus branding. I use to upgrade every year on my devices, but then unlocking iPhone's became harder and costs more money. It was nice with ultrasn0w, but that is gone, so I don't make as much if at all any money.

But that's not the main reason, the main reason is screen size and I'd like to further my knowledge with different phone systems. My wife is afraid I'll spend the money and then not like it.

I do have a question about the Nexus 5 though, I was under the impression it works on Sprint / AT&T / T-Mobile. I went to Best Buy and they told me it only works for Sprint.

You are correct, it works on Sprint / AT&T / T-Mobile. The only major carrier in the US that doesn't support the Nexus 5 is Verizon, but probably because Verizon screwed the Galaxy Nexus over big time. 

Anyways, the screen is nice, 5" display at 1080p. Many people complain about color accuracy, and it not being over-saturated like most other smartphones. You can head over to Anandtech - they have done a great review. The Nexus 5 will have a big following revolving around ROM's, and if that's not your style, Google will do quick updates.

Another option - If you want to get to know Android better, you can also pick up a Android tablet like the Nexus 7. If you like what you see from the Nexus 7 (or another Android tablet) and migrate to the Nexus 5/another Android smartphone.

You are correct, it works on Sprint / AT&T / T-Mobile. The only major carrier in the US that doesn't support the Nexus 5 is Verizon, but probably because Verizon screwed the Galaxy Nexus over big time. 

Anyways, the screen is nice, 5" display at 1080p. Many people complain about color accuracy, and it not being over-saturated like most other smartphones. You can head over to Anandtech - they have done a great review. The Nexus 5 will have a big following revolving around ROM's, and if that's not your style, Google will do quick updates.

Another option - If you want to get to know Android better, you can also pick up a Android tablet like the Nexus 7. If you like what you see from the Nexus 7 (or another Android tablet) and migrate to the Nexus 5/another Android smartphone.

How did Verizon screw Galaxy Nexus?

I bought my mom the Nexus 7, it was nice but I didn't use it much since I didn't want to start installing all the apps my iPad Mini has. I figured if I force myself to use the Nexus 5, I can either enjoy it or hate it and wait for Apple to release more screen sizes.

How did Verizon screw Galaxy Nexus?

I bought my mom the Nexus 7, it was nice but I didn't use it much since I didn't want to start installing all the apps my iPad Mini has. I figured if I force myself to use the Nexus 5, I can either enjoy it or hate it and wait for Apple to release more screen sizes.

The whole point of Nexus devices is fast updates from Google. Verizon delayed all updates from Google, and made a huge mess out of the phone. Verizon also delayed the launch, blocked Google Wallet, added some bloatware, and blocked WiFi hotspot capabilities. They ruined the Nexus experience. 

The whole point of Nexus devices is fast updates from Google. Verizon delayed all updates from Google, and made a huge mess out of the phone. Verizon also delayed the launch, blocked Google Wallet, added some bloatware, and blocked WiFi hotspot capabilities. They ruined the Nexus experience. 

Ah, thank you for clearing that up.