Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mindovermaster

My Sound, my Beautiful Sound!

39 posts in this topic

I was just taking a call on skype, all I can hear is feedback. I had no microphone in, just wanted to hear a few ppl talk. And now when I play any sound, I get bad stuttering. With Pandora, RhythmBox, even in my games.

I just thought it was a Skype fault, so I just restart Skype, nope, restarted the computer, nope. I reached back on my computer by the I/O area, and reinserted the speaker wire. nope.

I'm at a standstill atm... There a way you can re-insert the driver for it? Running Debian Wheezy 7.

PC Overheating ?

Too many programs running ?

Nope, it's at a cool 28C. (CPU that is) I'll let it cool overnight, though. Hopefully that will do some good.

Next thing I'd try is a live Linux distro (and see if the same thing happens). Could possibly be a DMA problem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_memory_access

I'm rather confused about what you mean by DMA problem here. I don't think the OP is playing back from a device that is in PIO mode. Is that what you mean? Can you be more specific?

I would definitely try a LiveCD and see if that has the issue as a trouble shooting mechanism.

If it does the same with a live CD, then your sound chip is borked; just RMA it.

My sound is onboard. I'll try a live-CD later. At most, I'll just back everything up and reinstall with Debian 7.2.

My sound is onboard. I'll try a live-CD later. At most, I'll just back everything up and reinstall with Debian 7.2.

That won't help if it is hardware though, if it is, just get a inexpensive PCI sound card.

If it IS hardware, yes, but I do not know that yet.

1 person likes this

OK, I just tried Ubuntu 13.10 Live-CD, sound played fine on Rhythm Box and Youtube.

This is not a hardware problem, it is software driven. Any pointers?

At issues like these, this is about where I usually give up with Linux. Way too complicated for something that in this day and age should be one of the things that just works.

1 person likes this

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1288881

Not sure if this will provide anything (it IS marked as solved), but same issue you are having

Yeah, this is to do with skype, it looks like, not other applications.

At issues like these, this is about where I usually give up with Linux. Way too complicated for something that in this day and age should be one of the things that just works.

I've been on Linux solid for a year, I'm not backing down.

1 person likes this

Yeah, this is to do with skype, it looks like, not other applications.

I've been on Linux solid for a year, I'm not backing down.

Alright, if it is a SW issue, try purging your audio subsystem including configuration files and reinstalling them scratch. I think Debian uses ALSA/Pulse audio. Here's a link that does this for Ubuntu/LinuxMint in the third post from the bottom. The steps would probably not be exactly the same for Debian though (packages could be different, you may not be using apt-get).

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=32478

Yeah, Debian uses pulse-audio. I'll try that, Thanks ;)

They saying to remove pulseausio? I WANT pulse audio, though I did purge it and reinstall, no diff.

I did try to download those files they specify, but it isn't in debian repositories.

Umm, odd thing happened. I just wanted to see if plugging my headphone into my case front port. It played fine. So, what exactly does that mean now....  :huh:

Umm, odd thing happened. I just wanted to see if plugging my headphone into my case front port. It played fine. So, what exactly does that mean now....  :huh:

Maybe your headphones are getting a different configuration from the speakers for some reason. What happens if you plug your speakers there (if possible)?

Get new speakers? Try different ones? 

Try deleting your pulseaudio cookie (either ~/.pulse_cookie, or ~/.config/pulse/cookie, I forget which) and restarting. If that fails, try renaming your ~/.pulse to something else (e.g. ~/.pulse.backup) and restart again. You'll need to reconfigure Pulseaudio again if you've made changes, but it should restore you a default config which will hopefully get you up and running again.

Try deleting your pulseaudio cookie (either ~/.pulse_cookie, or ~/.config/pulse/cookie, I forget which) and restarting. If that fails, try renaming your ~/.pulse to something else (e.g. ~/.pulse.backup) and restart again. You'll need to reconfigure Pulseaudio again if you've made changes, but it should restore you a default config which will hopefully get you up and running again.

I did that, no dice. :(

Get new speakers? Try different ones? 

Speakers are not the issue. It worked fine on a Live-CD, so is not the issue here

Maybe your headphones are getting a different configuration from the speakers for some reason. What happens if you plug your speakers there (if possible)?

I'll try that, but IMO, that isn't really a solution.

If nothing can be resolved here, I can just do a reinstall. It's nothing like reinstalling Windows. :laugh:

If nothing can be resolved here, I can just do a reinstall. It's nothing like reinstalling Windows. :laugh:

You're not wrong there!

maybe it's the audio jack that's not functioning correctly?

Speakers are not the issue. It worked fine on a Live-CD, so is not the issue here

maybe it's the audio jack that's not functioning correctly?

Nope, worked fine in Live-CD.

If no one has any more suggestions, I'll just reinstall the OS tomorrow. There's a lot of other things that I don't understand, also...

Nope, worked fine in Live-CD.

If no one has any more suggestions, I'll just reinstall the OS tomorrow. There's a lot of other things that I don't understand, also...

And then you'll found out that it is still broken upon reinstall because of Linux Kernel regressions ;-)

And then you'll found out that it is still broken upon reinstall because of Linux Kernel regressions ;-)

how come if it worked on a Live CD? My question about the audio jack was it can get "stuck", passing between headphones connected and no headphones connected, i had a board that did just that and sometimes it had sound, other times it went the audio was all strange and weird.

OP: if you can do a volume backup (just in case), reinstall and check if it's an update causing that.