Absolutely love this game, only downside is I can't seem to get the App working properly so I've completed the game but theres a few collectibles I can't get yet.

Also, I love just making the massive bomb and seeing how many Zombies I can kill in one go, think the highest so far was over 700. But averaging at about 400 which is hilarious to do.

I love the game, it's just annoying that you can no longer level up after level 50 and have tonnes of unused points

Is this game like Saints Row is to GTA?

No, it's own stand alone zombie game not really comparable to any other zombie games out there. I haven't picked up the 3rd yet the 1st and 2nd where great. Have been to busy on other games, but after seeing this will be picking up today.

There is now a 13GB update of Dead Rising 3.

:blink:

Is it for the DLC? Seriously... 13GB.

Considering the first DLC pack is out within the next few days, I'd imagine this is related to that.  13GB though? That is ridiculous, hopefully it contains the files for all four packs.

There is now a 13GB update of Dead Rising 3.

:blink:

Is it for the DLC? Seriously... 13GB.

Ridiculous (N)

And I thought 2 GB BFBC/3/4 updates were bad.

This better not be norm for this generation.

I just removed a few posts in this thread for what I think are obvious reasons... I think the people whose posts I hid will prefer that over being warned from the mods ;) Let's keep it intelligent and civil, guys.

Back on topic...

My assumption is they packaged all the DLC into the update for some reason. Maybe something about compatibility for the online co-op?

Just wanted to chime in and say I am still very much enjoying the hell out of this game. It is just fun, which I feel to many games these days have lost that sense of just playing a game to play a game. It does not take itself seriously at all, and it is definitely a better game because of it.

I do think having some release notes with a patch as massive as this one would be a nice touch though.

If it does actually wind up being the DLC, I personally think that is a horrible way to go about delivering it. What if people have no intent of playing the DLC? It seems as if they still need to download this massive "update" even though only a percentage of it is actually a patch to the game itself.

Considering how much I am enjoying the game, I may go ahead and pick up the Season Pass myself, however for anyone out there who may be unfortunate enough to have capped internet and was not sure if they were going to pick up any DLC, etc., I hope they have Auto Downloads on their One turned off, and I also hope the game's social and online features still work as they should without the update itself.

Xbox Wire has an interview regarding the update. Seems it was for compatibility, but there are also a lot of fixes.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/01/games-diving-deep-into-the-add-on-content-of-dead-rising-3

Thought as much. Very lazy. Same sort of thing EA has been doing with BF for years (although someone pointed out to me it was a limit of their engine). Well the engine is now 4 versions older and it needs to be written into it if this is the impact it's having on games.

Content for DLC episodes 3 and 4 added as part of this CU.

This will be due to the co-op. They won't limit the co-op to like for like versions, so there needs to be some shared assets, but there has to be a better way. 13 GB is 3/4s the size of the original game! (base game is 19 GB)

Well, it surely can't be easy -- they're adding new weapons, vehicles, items and other things that they surely want you to be able to use in any version. The nature of the co-op makes it a much different beast than something like an FPS. Certainly not fun for non-DLC owners, and it really illustrates the problem with the storage controls on Xbox One.

Well, it surely can't be easy -- they're adding new weapons, vehicles, items and other things that they surely want you to be able to use in any version. The nature of the co-op makes it a much different beast than something like an FPS. Certainly not fun for non-DLC owners, and it really illustrates the problem with the storage controls on Xbox One.

It's been a recurring problem since last generation regardless of genre. Even when a gamer doesn't buy the DLC, they still need to be using the same patch data (balance updates etc), when he faces an opponent online. However, including the patch and the DLC into one download is one area they can improve on (and developers have already done so).

When it comes to FPS games, this can be much easier to achieve and manage. There is absolutely zero reason that every user needs to be dumped with the DLC in a TU if they don't own it. That is why Halo etc has never had the issue. They simply block them from accessing those lobbies in the matchmaking. On the users end, this is easily explained with the blinking messages "DLC required". So it is definitely technically feasible, you just have developers like DICE who are too lazy to do it.

Dead Rising 3 and other co-op games take another route, and allow the DLC to be shared between the gamers, regardless if they own it or not. On the one hand; great, it's try before you buy. But the downside is obviously the file sizes. Make it optional and everyone is happy.

I don't know that it's as easy as saying they should just make it optional when we don't know the intricacies of the game's design. Saying "just make it optional" could potentially cause even more issues than it fixes, as people with the DLC would only be matched with other DLC owners, even though the DLC itself isn't co-op, but some of the content included in it is. Why fragment the audience?

This caught me off guard.  Yesterday I was checking my internet usage (because 125gig limit doesn't go that far anymore) and I noticed that, although I hadn't used the internet at home yet, I had somehow downloaded 13 gig of data!  My ISP couldn't say from where but they were able to tell me it happened between 4am and 6am (when I was asleep).  Behold, after some sleuthing and making sure my network was secure, I noticed that Dead Rising was trying to install something on my Xbox.  Research found that there was in fact a ridiculously large update that was pushed.

Not much I can do to prevent this; I like my Xbox on constant stand by, which means it will pick up the updates whether I want them or not (generally I do, except at 13 gig).

Wish they would at least let us know when updates are pushed.  I thought my network was compromised until I found this gem.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/20/5328794/dead-rising-3-13-gb-update

Lets try again. What else would you just it, if not an update?

New content?

Update means you update what is already there. I doubt they updated 13GB of the launch game. That's about a 1/3 of the whole game content. This would means they updated lot of textures, sounds, etc

'Dead Rising 3' owners face downloading a 13GB Xbox One patch

by John Callaham

2_1_zombiesl.jpg

"Dead Rising 3," one of the exclusive launch games for Microsoft's Xbox One console, is now the source for one of the biggest game patches in console history. Microsoft announced this week that owners of the open world zombie action game can download a new free update that is 13GB in size.

No, that's not a typo; the free patch for "Dead Rising 3" is larger in file size than many full games released for the Xbox One. Even the hard drive install file size for the full version of "Dead Rising" 3 is "only" 19GB. The Xbox One website has a change list of what's in the patch. In addition to fixing a number of issues, the patch contains locked content that will be unlocked for the third and fourth Dead Rising 3 DLC packs, which won't be released until sometime later in 2014.

While technically gamers can still play "Dead Rising 3" without the patch, they won't be able to play the game online with a friend in co-op mode without installing the update.

Speaking of DLC packs, the first one, called "Operation Eagle," is scheduled to be released today for $9.99. The player takes on the role of Spec Ops Commander Adam Kane as he tries to capture the missing President of the U.S. (while killing or avoiding zombies, of course). The new mission add five new weapons and one new vehicle which will be unlocked in the main game as well.

Source: Xbox Wire | Image via Capcom

What did they do? Repackage all the textures? WTF

Only reading what was written here on Neowin, it looks like they went the Dice (BF3/4) route of including the expansion content in the patch instead of it being a separate download.