Tablet for Mother

My mother is almost 50 years old and is currently using an Android phone, which she still doesn't understand since none of her kids live near by anymore to help teach her. So, I was wondering what tablet should I get my mother that will keep it simple but still be able to learn on it. I'm currently thinking of getting her a Nexus 7 LTE plan and I showed her my iPad Mini via Skype and she said that the size would be perfect for her.

Should I get her the Nexus 7 or should I look at something else? I was thinking of the Kindle, but I'd rather not go that route.

I would get her the N7 2013. Kindles are nice and all, but the N7 can do more and vanilla Android isnt hard to navigate and use. Plus the N7 will be updated a lot more often and will also have better community support.

Yeah I figured it would be a better experience for her. If only I could grab a 16GB LTE and not the 32GB one.

Edit: Nevermind, guess 32GB is the only LTE + WiFi.

Does she need LTE? She can also tether her cell phone if she has a device that can do so.

FireOS is crap, and you can't change the browser which by all reviews I have seen is awful so I would avoid the kindle fire series. The Nexus 7 is an amazing device for the money, you can't go wrong.

Does she need LTE? She can also tether her cell phone if she has a device that can do so.

I'm not there, so I have no clue what she can and cannot due. Only reason I'm getting her LTE is because she doesn't have the internet and it would be easy for her.

if you want to try something other than android,get her a surface 2. best tablet on the market.

I'm sure Windows 8 will confuse her like it does to majority of older people.

I'm not there, so I have no clue what she can and cannot due. Only reason I'm getting her LTE is because she doesn't have the internet and it would be easy for her.

I'm sure Windows 8 will confuse her like it does to majority of older people.

not really,it can be very simple. open apps by touching them, return home by clicking the windows button. cant get any simpler than that. the desktop tile is removed by default anyways.

not really,it can be very simple. open apps by touching them, return home by clicking the windows button. cant get any simpler than that. the desktop tile is removed by default anyways.

No LTE support.

No LTE support.

oh,missed that part. theres a nokia one with lte support though.

True, but not worth the $500 price.

If you ask me you can't get easier than iOS for non tech people.

I couldn't agree more, but I assumed since she has an android phone might as well go with an android tablet. Plus, price is good for the Nexus 7.

• 1 month later...

If you just wanted to get her an Android, I'd go with a Samsung. They are nicely made and easier than some to use. However, for any non-tech person I would get them an iPad. 

Agreed on Samsung - Mom has a Galaxy Tab 2 (7" wireless-only), which she takes everywhere.  If the Tab is too small, consider the Galaxy Note series (larger screen, and, like the Tab, comes in either straight-wireless or wireless+LTE).

Agreed on Samsung - Mom has a Galaxy Tab 2 (7" wireless-only), which she takes everywhere.  If the Tab is too small, consider the Galaxy Note series (larger screen, and, like the Tab, comes in either straight-wireless or wireless+LTE).

I  went with the Nexus 7. She dint even know what it was at first. To think shes the reason i got into electronics, lol.