Suggestions for Freelance Graphic Design Monitor / Light Gaming

Hey guys,

I'm looking around at the moment for a monitor upgrade. I'm a freelance graphic designer currently making-do on an old LG L226WTQ 22" monitor at 1650x1050 resolution; it's time I went for a new 24-27" monitor - I got this one around 2004/5 if not slightly before, but I have a few concerns. I'm really looking at IPS panels at the moment.

First of all I currently have a DVI connection, which has served me well, but am wondering if it's going to be phased out in the new few years in favour of HDMI and Display Port. I was looking into the Dell P2414H as it's a nice size and I could pay for one now and potentially move to a second one for further productivity in the future. What puts me off is it's lack of a HDMI port, noted as a con in some reviews, and it's relatively low resolution at 1080p.

I've looked into the P2714H, which has the same basic problems and other 27" monitors with higher resolutions but I can't decide what the best monitor is. I'm either looking to spend money for a 27" monitor that will have a good, high resolution for graphic design - something like 1440p - or getting two lower resolution monitors at 24" for productivity.

Add to this the fact that I like to play BF3/4 and Planetside 2 and games like Bioshock and Tomb Raider, I'm looking for excellent colour reproduction for the graphic design element, but I don't want any lag or problems while gaming.

So I'm looking for your advice. I'm willing to spend up to a maximum of ?450 for the right monitor and I've currently got my eye on either the Asus PA249Q or the Dell U2414H, which has just been released and has better connections than the P model. But I'm open to suggestions.

Am I blowing smoke here and worrying over DVI/HDMI/DP connections and resolutions when I'll likely be able to have my cake and eat it with graphic design and gaming on a standard 1080p monitor, or if there a better alternative out there I've not considered?

Dell has a new 24in IPS 4K display that is rather nice.

http://dcse.dell.com/us/en/gen/peripherals/dell-up2414q/pd.aspx?refid=dell-up2414q&s=gen

Whether it?s video editing, CGI animation or application and game development, the DellTM  UltraSharp 24 Monitor ? UP2414Q gives you an up-close-and-personal view.
  • Our Our highest pixel density sharpens the tiniest details in videos and images for stunning results.
  • Ultra HD 3840 x 21601 packs in four times the resolution of Full HD.
  • Get a clear and consistent view with an ultrawide 178?/178? viewing angle.
  • Keep your virtual workspace organized with the Dell Display Manager?s Easy Arrange feature that lets you neatly display windows side by side.

Stunning color precision and performance

PremierColor technology delivers vivid, true-to-life color and professional tools for detailed projects.
  • Work confidently knowing your monitor is compatible with major industry color standards, and has wide color coverage such as 99% AdobeRGB and 100% sRGB.
  • Get exceptional color accuracy and consistency, right out of the box, with precise factory calibration to a Delta-E<2.
  • Reveal a high level of detail, even in dark areas, with a color depth of 1.07 billion colors.
  • Fine-tune your colors using the Custom Color mode, or make further adjustments with the user-accessible hardware look-up table (LUT).
  • Create a custom color palette using Dell UltraSharp Color Calibration Solution software with the optional X-Rite i1Display Pro colorimeter2 (sold separately).