Wait, what does time have to do with the pc being a convergence device? Just because they have played games for a long time doesn't change the fact that they were probably the first single device that could do so much.

In fact, the pc platform is the most flexible device out there.

You can build an htpc that can handle the duties of media playback and gaming very well. Consoles are slowly but surely heading in that same direction.

When did PC's start becoming convergence devices? PC's have ALWAYS had the capability to run apps from day one (whether it is a browser or a game). Xbox's have just RECENTLY started to converge into the PC market by being able to run apps outside of gaming (such as IE). Xbox is still a far restrictive platform compared to the PC. With the Xbox One, they are trying to build an experience outside of gaming, hence convergence. 

I am going to file my taxes on Xbox One next year.

Like headache inception. Doing something headache inducing in a way that is headache inducing  :laugh:

When did PC's start becoming convergence devices? PC's have ALWAYS had the capability to run apps from day one (whether it is a browser or a game). Xbox's have just RECENTLY started to converge into the PC market by being able to run apps outside of gaming (such as IE). Xbox is still a far restrictive platform compared to the PC. With the Xbox One, they are trying to build an experience outside of gaming, hence convergence.

I'm not saying that pcs have become convergence devices. I'm saying they have always been a general purpose device (a device where many different uses 'converge'), something that can be made to work well for many different things.

As technology has improved, pcs have gotten smaller and more powerful in small packages. Now we can build pcs that can take over the role of say a console or other living room devices.

For consoles like the X1, they still have a long way to go, but they have slowly started moving in the direction of devices that are more general use. Now that the X1 is using standard pc hardware and runs a pc os at its core, that's the beginning of a process that could lead to more pc-like functions showing up on a console.

I'm not saying that pcs have become convergence devices. I'm saying they have always been a general purpose device (a device where many different uses 'converge'), something that can be made to work well for many different things.

As technology has improved, pcs have gotten smaller and more powerful in small packages. Now we can build pcs that can take over the role of say a console or other living room devices.

For consoles like the X1, they still have a long way to go, but they have slowly started moving in the direction of devices that are more general use. Now that the X1 is using standard pc hardware and runs a pc os at its core, that's the beginning of a process that could lead to more pc-like functions showing up on a console.

Yes, PC's were always general purpose devices. My point is I don't like consoles becoming converging devices; they should just stick to playing games and media. Don't try to give consoles PC like functionality. If I want to perform functionality such as typing a word document, browsing the internet, I have 2 PC's for that. I wish Microsoft would shift their focus (R&D) into games rather than putting effort of getting IE11 on Xbox. 

Yes, PC's were always general purpose devices. My point is I don't like consoles becoming converging devices; they should just stick to playing games and media. Don't try to give consoles PC like functionality. If I want to perform functionality such as typing a word document, browsing the internet, I have 2 PC's for that. I wish Microsoft would shift their focus (R&D) into games rather than putting effort of getting IE11 on Xbox.

Wait, you think MS invests R&D to get IE on the X1? Oh come on. MS happens to be investing large sums of money into gaming and first party studios.

All of this other stuff is a free bonus thanks to them using Windows 8 as the core for the X1 OS. The only extra work that was involved would be to get the voice controls and gamepad controls working with IE.

All MS has done is 'port' IE. Even porting is too strong a word since the X1 is literally an x86 pc with windows on it. I'm really not sure why this is something to resist and avoid in the long run. This doesn't take anything away from what the console's primary use is: gaming. Its a little extra features that is there for those that want it and easily forgotten by those that don't.

Heck, its likely that there will come a point where MS opens up the app store for anyone to release apps like the windows store. That will result in so many possibilities software wise and yet it still wont harm the gaming experience or be some massive investment of R&D from MS. This brings it all full circle back to the pc. The pc may be a general use device, but it can still be used by us in a way that focuses on just a couple tasks and do those tasks very well. My only point is that I wouldn't be so fearful of consoles being more pc like. To me, that just means they become more flexible and open usage wise.

Speak for yourself. I used IE on my Xbox (360) yesterday to watch a movie online. It is useful when apps are not available for everything (before someone brings this up, I am only talking about legitimate sites).

No one is going to buy a console just to use the browser.

All of these little things that people find they can do with it are just added value to those that are interested. These are people that were already getting a console for other reasons.