Photo

Sound Card - Yes or No?

sound soundcard

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Dedicated Sound Cards

Do You Have a Dedicated Sound Card in Any Current PC?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Would You Consider Buying a Dedicated Sound Card to Use?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do You Think Sound Cards Have Had their Day / Only for Serious Audiophiles?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• 6,708 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 15:22

Hot on the heels of the latest news article and a thread I started just days before asking the same sort of question, it seems the issue of a dedicated sound card is up for discussion.

So to (hopefully) bring it all together, what's you're vote?

Personally, I used to have a soundcard about 10 years ago.  When I built a new system, I missed it out and just used on board which worked fine for my needs.  My latest system doesn't have a dedicated sound card either.

Here's where I am:

My HTPC uses the on board sound but I might be in the market for a sound card.  However I don't think the £50+ will be worth it for the difference it will make and it seems spending less than that is a waste anyway.  So I'm not considering buying one really and think they are only good for serious audiophiles or home theatre people (which is out of my league too!).

#2 Nerd Rage

Nerd Rage

RAGE!

• 889 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 15:38

I don't think they are worth it for my HTPC, as I dont have a 7.1 setup or anything with that.  However, I do have a dedicated sound card for my gaming PC, and I definitely think that is worth while for all the bells and whistles.

#3 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,022 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 15:39

I don't use headphones, but I do have quality speakers (Klipsch 5.1 Ultra), and when I put in my Xonar DX, it made a huge difference over the on-board audio.  I used to have an HT Omega card, which sounded great too, but the software for it was complete garbage.

Most notably, the bass sounded much better, so for anybody that likes to hear the entire sound spectrum, a sound card will give those benefits.  Though if you don't have quality/high-powered speakers or headphones, a sound card probably won't make much of a difference.

#4 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• 5,571 posts
  • Phone: SQNY D5503

Posted 09 December 2013 - 19:09

For all outputs that aren't galvanically separated (which is what you'd achieve by using Toslink) the answer is still resounding yes all the way down.

#5 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• 7,217 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:56

I made a somewhat relevant post, here

Can't wait to complete my little setup.

#6 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,016 posts
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 10 December 2013 - 13:12

I dropped my Xonar DS after upgrading my PC, and aside from the crappier graphic equalizer settings, I've not really noticed a difference between the Realtek sound and the discrete sound card. I think sound cards are mostly only relevant to audiophiles now.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!