Man commits suicide at mall after girlfriend insists on buying more shoes

An aggravated man leapt from an upper-level mall balcony to his death because his girlfriend refused to stop shopping, witnesses said.

Tao Hsiao, 38, was at the Golden Eagle International Shopping Center in Xuzhou, China, for five hours on Dec. 7 when his lady insisted that they check out another shoe store, reported Chinese news site 

"He told her she already had enough shoes, more shoes than she could wear in a lifetime and it was pointless buying any more," an eyewitness said, according to Gawker. "She started shouting at him accusing him of being a skinflint and of spoiling Christmas, it was a really heated argument."

Tao apparently could not handle any more name-calling ? or shopping for that matter.

Security footage shows Tao ? in an apparent burst of anger ? throw the shopping bags to the ground before jumping over the seventh floor railing.

Tao reportedly crashed into holiday decorations on the ground floor and died upon impact.

Other shoppers gaped as paramedics rushed the man away on a gurney.

A mall spokesperson said that no one else was injured as a result of the suicide and that his body was removed from the premises quickly, according to the Inquisitor news site.

"This is a tragic incident, but this time of year can be very stressful for many people," the spokesperson added.

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1542366#bmb=1

I'm not sure whether laugh or cry at this  :s

Let's face it... It probably had more to do with living in China than the shoes. It's disturbing how the Chinese are so often willing to commit suicide at the drop of a hat.

I don't want to call you out, but are you sure, historically I could say the same about another race that has men prone to committing suicide for similar reasons.

Although.....

After 5 hours I'd probably sooner kill myself than go to yet another shoe store with my wife :p

<ducks to avoid backhand>

I don't mind shopping at all, but I am not a fan of shopping at malls though. I hate how dry the air is at malls and I get disoriented after an hour or two also, especially when malls are super busy. Finding where you came into the mall when leaving is a major headache sometimes too.

Let's face it... It probably had more to do with living in China than the shoes. It's disturbing how the Chinese are so often willing to commit suicide at the drop of a hat.

he's probably expected to buy everything she wants.

I don't mind shopping at all, but I am not a fan of shopping at malls though. I hate how dry the air is at malls and I get disoriented after an hour or two also, especially when malls are super busy. Finding where you came into the mall when leaving is a major headache sometimes too.

Same here. If I had stayed at the mall for five hours I would either want to kill myself or my wife. :)

• Like 3

I suspect this went a lot deeper than just being upset about his wife's shopping. Either that, or he was really ill-equipped to deal with this problem.

His girlfriend will probably feel bad now.

That's what I was thinking. Can you imagine being her, living the rest of your life thinking that someone killed themselves rather than spend another minute listening to you go on?
  • Like 3

"Security footage shows Tao ? in an apparent burst of anger ? throw the shopping bags to the ground before jumping over the seventh floor railing."

He thought he could fly.

......  ly I could say the same about another race that has men prone to committing suicide for similar reasons.

<ducks to avoid backhand>

What race has men prone to committing suicide ?