usa zero-calorie carbonated consumers complaints obesity aspartame fda

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,707 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:57

Coca-Cola Co. (KO) and rivals hoped zero-calorie recipes would lift the $75 billion U.S. soda industry after Americans began scaling back on full-calorie carbonated soft drinks in the late 1990s amid obesity concerns. For a while they helped: Diet soda's share of consumption rose from 26% to 31% between 1990 and 2010, according to Beverage Marketing Corp., even as many consumers complained about the taste.

Now diet soda is the industry's weightiest problem. Store sales of zero- and low-calorie soda plunged 6.8% in dollar terms in the 52 weeks through Nov. 23, while sales of regular sodas dropped 2.2%, according to Wells Fargo, citing Nielsen scanner data. As a category, diet soda has contracted more than regular soda for three straight years.

"We are seeing a fundamental shift in consumer habits and behaviors," PepsiCo Inc. (PEP) Chairman Indra Nooyi said recently.

PepsiCo gets about a quarter of its U.S. revenue from soda. Coke and Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc. (DPS) both derive more than half their U.S. sales from soda.

Soda isn't the staple it once was. In a March survey by Mintel, 34% of those aged 18 to 36 considered it a "treat,'' a higher proportion than among older drinkers. Meanwhile, about 20% of Americans say they are on a diet, down from more than 25% a decade ago, according to NPD Group.

But the biggest drag is health fears about artificial sweeteners found in diet soda—mainly aspartame, but also sucralose and acesulfame potassium.

The American Beverage Association says such sweeteners are among "the most studied and reviewed ingredients'' over four decades, and are safe weight-loss tools, positions echoed by the American Diabetes Association and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.

The Food and Drug Administration and other government agencies around the world also vouch for their safety.

The Internet has amplified fears. Among the top 10 Google search results for "diet soda'' on a recent day: "10 Reasons to Give Up Diet Soda,'' "No, seriously: Diet sodas are terrible for you, too'' and "7 side effects of drinking diet soda.''

more

#2 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• 945 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:05

GOOD ! More Diet Coke for me !!

#3 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,707 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:23

Lips that touch Diet shall never touch mine :p

#4 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• 945 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:24

Lips that touch Diet shall never touch mine :p

awww man, I was totally hoping we would kiss someday... damn !

#5 Bonfire

Bonfire

Neowinian Senior

• 7,005 posts
  • Phone: Rotary Dial

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:26

Maybe because diet soda tastes nasty and is probably more unhealthy than regular soda. If you're going to diet either quit drinking soda or don't.

Personally I quit and don't miss it at all now. :)

#6 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• 945 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:33

I dont drink for sake of Diet - I drink Diet Coke for the same reason everyone else drinks Diet Coke - its addicting as hell.  And once you start drinking it, all other soft drinks taste horrible.

#7 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,707 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:36

^ Weird -- I have never been addicted to soda. :huh:

#8 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• 945 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:44

Im telling you - like crack cocaine - Diet Coke is evil.  Just like coffee drinkers, I cant get started in the morning until I grab a Diet Coke... and a couple painkillers.. THEN I can start moving :D

#9 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,530 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:46

^ Weird -- I have never been addicted to soda. :huh:

it does happen dude, I consider myself a cola addict.

#10 ThaCrip

ThaCrip

Neowinian Senior

• 3,541 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:01

i can't believe people can drink Diet soda as it tastes like crap compared to the real thing.

regular Coke and Mtn Dew are hands down my favorite soda's in the long term. everything else is a pretty distant 3rd to those two even though once in a while ill drink something else like Dr Pepper or Sprite etc.

#11 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,736 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 10 December 2013 - 16:51

i can't believe people can drink Diet soda as it tastes like crap compared to the real thing.

regular Coke and Mtn Dew are hands down my favorite soda's in the long term. everything else is a pretty distant 3rd to those two even though once in a while ill drink something else like Dr Pepper or Sprite etc.

Regular soda in the US tastes like crap compared to the real cane sugar versions that are sold in every other country. Just go to Costco (some other stores sell it too but Costco is the biggest I think), and buy the bottles of Coca Cola that are made in Mexico. You'll taste the difference immediately.

The reason I get diet coke when I eat out is because I know I'm already eating unhealthy, I don't need the extra calories from the soda. Hell a Big Mac has 550 calories by itself (no fries, no drink). A cup of regular soda has 300. The Big-Mac will fill me up, but the cup of soda won't hence it's just empty calories.

#12 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,255 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 16:53

Never liked the taste of diet soda.

#13 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

• 4,109 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 16:58

I would say its partly because consumers are becoming smarter with choices and turning away from the ingredients in diet sodas like aspertame. They need to try a natural soda like whole foods and some of the others that are out there

#14 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• 2,942 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 17:03

I would say its partly because consumers are becoming smarter with choices and turning away from the ingredients in diet sodas like aspertame. They need to try a natural soda like whole foods and some of the others that are out there

Are they becoming smarter?

My guess, as soda consumption goes down, diet soda consumption will naturally fall faster, because the more soda becomes an occasional treat rather than a regular staple, the less "diet" matters. If you drink soda only occasionally, it doesn't matter whether it's diet or not, because you won't get fat from a single drink; and diet tastes worse. 

#15 MtnDewCodeRedFreak

MtnDewCodeRedFreak

Since May 2001

• 1,950 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 10 December 2013 - 17:14

See my username. :D

Yup, the red Mtn Dew is my top fave ever. Diet sodas ..... ugh. No thanks.