• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 10 December 2013 - 17:17

I would say its partly because consumers are becoming smarter with choices and turning away from the ingredients in diet sodas like aspertame. They need to try a natural soda like whole foods and some of the others that are out there

Sounds more like further misinformed than smarter. As the article says, plenty of testing has been done and shown no negative effects at normal consumption levels. It's the people who drink 10 cans of diet soda a day and then have health problems that get pointed to aspartame that give it a bad name.

I don't usually drink diet sodas because I don't usually drink enough soda to care, but from time to time I'll get a diet Dr Pepper or a diet Mtn Dew, those aren't too bad for diet sodas, especially if I'm at a fast food place where they give you a gallon bucket for a drink with no choice but soda (or just plain water, which I do drink a ton of).

#17 ClassicTrekker

ClassicTrekker

Neowinian

• 146 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 17:18

I have been addicted to Pepsi Max - a diet version of Pepsi - for a few years now. Just like T3X4S, I can't really get my day started without one...or two. :) And to me, Pepsi Max tastes just as good as regular, leaded Pepsi. (Just without all those nasty calories.) :)

#18 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,751 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 10 December 2013 - 17:18

brb going to get a cup of ice so I can pour me some more diet dr pepper.. 

#19 teknix360

teknix360

Neowinian

• 119 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus, Moto G

Posted 10 December 2013 - 17:49

Maybe sales fell in the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving because it was $6 for a 12-pack here in Chicago. Last week a big sale started in most of the grocery stores with a 4 12-packs for $10 deal. After some creative shopping trips (limit 8 per person? I think not), my basement is now stacked to the ceiling with 12-packs of diet coke.  :D

#20 Liana

Liana

Tech Girl

• 644 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 18:13

I think consumers are becoming better educated. After reading about the health effects of caramel coloring, phosphoric acid, and caffeine, I decided to stop drinking coca-cola. If I am really craving it, I will get a Virgil's Real Cola instead, which tastes great and doesn't have any of those ingredients I listed.

I also can't believe how expensive soda is becoming. Most fast food places want to charge $1.50 to $2.00 for a fountain drink these days, AFTER filling the cup up with ice first! Or $1.79 for a 20oz bottle at the grocery store? I find it insulting.

#21 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 7,995 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 10 December 2013 - 18:40

I never liked diet pop.  Always tasted metallic to me.  I used to drink a 2L Coke every couple days (sometimes in a full day).  I have since stopped drinking standard pop.  I still drink pop but it is 100% Natural (and tastes way better than Coke or Pepsi).  All 0 calories, 100% organic cane sugar, syrups, water, flavoring. They are expensive though which sucks.  A can of the pop is ~1.00 whereas the small bottles are ~1.29.  

This: http://www.zevia.com/ is the primary brand I drink.

#22 ThaCrip

ThaCrip

Neowinian Senior

• 3,541 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 22:22

Regular soda in the US tastes like crap compared to the real cane sugar versions that are sold in every other country. Just go to Costco (some other stores sell it too but Costco is the biggest I think), and buy the bottles of Coca Cola that are made in Mexico. You'll taste the difference immediately.

The reason I get diet coke when I eat out is because I know I'm already eating unhealthy, I don't need the extra calories from the soda. Hell a Big Mac has 550 calories by itself (no fries, no drink). A cup of regular soda has 300. The Big-Mac will fill me up, but the cup of soda won't hence it's just empty calories.

We still got the real sugar version of Mtn Dew (and some other soda's) here in the USA. it's just listed on the 'Throwback' version of Mtn Dew and yeah you can definitely notice the difference in taste. before i tried that myself a while ago i always assumed people where exaggerating the difference but anyone who regularly drinks Mtn Dew (and i imagine it will be the same with Coca-Cola to) will definitely notice the difference in taste between the 'high fructose corn syrup' (i.e. the regular common one) vs the actual sugar version(i.e. the Throwback one).

but with all of that said... even the regular high fructose corn syrup stuff we typically have here in USA still tastes good (easily better than diet soda) but i do prefer the actual sugar one IF i can find it. but the throwback version of Mtn Dew is more of a luxury thing here as i don't seem to find it in 2-liter bottles much as that's typically what i get in general. i most commonly find it in 20oz bottles and 12packs of 12oz cans.

but thanks for the info on Coca-Cola as i still have never had the real sugar version of that.

as far as the whole McDonalds thing... i would just eat there a bit less and when i do eat there i just would have the big mac/small fries/small drink.

p.s. but as you know... the reason they use the HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) is because it's cheaper to make then using real sugar.

#23 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 00:03

I'm not surprised. Most everyone I know will either buy an energy drink or water these days.

#24 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,736 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 11 December 2013 - 16:27

as far as the whole McDonalds thing... i would just eat there a bit less and when i do eat there i just would have the big mac/small fries/small drink.

Oh I don't eat there a lot either, but on the rare day that I do I get the diet coke or water. I already know that I'm eating unhealthy so why make it worse lol.

p.s. but as you know... the reason they use the HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) is because it's cheaper to make then using real sugar.

Yup. But only in the US because corn farmers get a lovely amount of subsidies from the Government.

Hence why we have 10% ethanol in our gas here, because you know just how good ethanol is for older cars!