chromecast

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 +AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 10 December 2013 - 19:18

Of course you can play your media files to your TV with Chromecast. 

Select a movie, then select Chromecast ... BAM you have a movie playing on TV.

That reply had nothing to do with my comment. :laugh:

#17 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 10 December 2013 - 19:28

That reply had nothing to do with my comment. :laugh:

Yes it is...  you can play from your media server...  you have plex server... so you have plex client on your phone/tablet... you can play media on your TV as long as you have a button that allow you to send media to the TV.

No matter what brand you have... such as plex, airplay, etc...  as long as you have the supported devices in order to work.

I have media server on my network... so I could play media on my 50" TV/tablet/phone... anytime.

Like I said earlier...  you do the research and learn...  it is simple.

#18 +AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

Posted 10 December 2013 - 20:37

Yes it is...  you can play from your media server...  you have plex server... so you have plex client on your phone/tablet... you can play media on your TV as long as you have a button that allow you to send media to the TV.

No matter what brand you have... such as plex, airplay, etc...  as long as you have the supported devices in order to work.

I have media server on my network... so I could play media on my 50" TV/tablet/phone... anytime.

Like I said earlier...  you do the research and learn...  it is simple.

Haha, that's still not what I said. I was wondering if kicking a video off to play from my phone sends the video FROM my phone, or from my server. It makes a big difference. When you cast a tab, it sends directly from that device. When you play Netflix, Hulu, etc, it connects directly to their server and doesn't actually stream through your device. I haven't gotten home to play with it yet though, nor does it seem like it actually works yet without crashing, but it would be interesting to know.

I would assume they would have gone with direct from server streaming rather than from device, though from device might help with some compatibility. Your Plex server doesn't necessarily have to be on the local network, I don't know if that would complicate streaming to the Chromecast, but I can't see why since it would have to be accessible either way.

#19 +AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

Posted 12 December 2013 - 20:35

So, to update, I finally got a chance to play with Plex with Chromecast last night. It is a little buggy still and crashed once or twice, but it did work, and pretty well. It does stream directly from the server because I got a force close one time on the app and it just kept playing like nothing happened, so that's nice as well. Let them clear up any bugs and I'll be looking to change up my parent's media setup at their house soon to this. I think it would be easy enough for them to use from any phone they have.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!