Photo

Cloud Storage for Photos - What do you use?

cloud

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 teknix360

teknix360

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy Nexus, Moto G

Posted 10 December 2013 - 17:29

Which cloud services do you use to store your photos?

I have around 50GB and increasing of photos now, and I am looking for the best place to store these photos in the cloud. Right now I am using a combination of Dropbox, Box.net, and Google Drive to store them all. It's a hassle to remember which photos are on which service. I am currently using the free level of all of those sites, which is why they are split up between the 3. :wacko:

I am looking to do this the right way now, and purchase cloud space to store my photos properly. My requirements are a service that has browser based access, folder sync across PCs, and an Android app. I am looking at purchasing additional GB from Google Drive or maybe SkyDrive. I like sorting my photos into folders, so Flickr doesn't work for me. I do have paid webhosting, but I've never been able to find a reliable, easy to use gallery web app. 

Anyway, I would like to hear what everyone else uses.  :yes:

#2 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

I'm sorry, do you still exist?

• Phone: Stock LG Nexus 5

Posted 10 December 2013 - 17:31

I was using Dropbox (53GB) exclusively however, now I'm just allowing Android to upload photos to G+ (15GB) automatically because of some of the features (Free unlimited space if I knock down the resolution and photo editing/enhancing).

#3 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 10 December 2013 - 17:39

Low resolution (for viewing and sharing) - Google+

High resolution (for backup/archiving) - Amazon Glacier

#4 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 10 December 2013 - 17:40

skydrive

#5 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 10 December 2013 - 17:41

Mega is pretty decent, 50GB for free, I use that to backup my photo's taken from my phone.

I also use Flickr to an extent but that's only photograph's I think are worthy of showing to the world, although you can choose to disable public viewing and flickr gives you 1TB of storage.

#6 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 10 December 2013 - 17:43

I just let Skydrive handle it. Works nicely, especially with the bonus storage space from Office 365.

#7 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 10 December 2013 - 21:03

Man I wish I had a fast enough internet connection to upload my 50gb worth of photos to somewhere, anywhere!

#8 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 10 December 2013 - 21:10

SkyDrive

#9 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 10 December 2013 - 22:08

Mega is pretty decent, 50GB for free, I use that to backup my photo's taken from my phone.

I also use Flickr to an extent but that's only photograph's I think are worthy of showing to the world, although you can choose to disable public viewing and flickr gives you 1TB of storage.

I'm using Flickr at the moment.  All my photo uploads are automatically set to Private.

It works pretty well for what it is, but I do have a few complains (for what it is worth):

* Downloading "actual size" pictures off the web interface takes an insane amount of clicks and isn't supported currently in the new "beta" version.

* No way to select multiple photos for download

* No way to link a photo directly (like if I wanted to include a picture in this message right here, I'd have to use a service like Imgur)

* The website and the mobile app default to a very inactive "news feed" because Yahoo wants very desperately for Flickr to compete with social sites like Instagram.  Vast majority of users are using it for the 1TB cloud storage.  Just annoying to have to switch to my photostream every time I open the app.

If Yahoo can fix those things, then I think Flickr would be ideal.

I'd prefer something more like Dropbox I think now...just I don't want to pay for the solution.  I have about 25GB worth of photos.

#10 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 10 December 2013 - 22:21

Nowhere, I have a RAID setup at home (two mirrored disks) and a monthly backup of that RAID that is usually over at my grandparent's on an encrypted external HDD.

I've got about 400GB of photos, most in RAW. It'd take me three months with my data limit to get them uploaded anywhere...

#11 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 10 December 2013 - 22:30

I have a NAS.

#12 Rudie32

Rudie32

Rudie Belova

Posted 10 December 2013 - 22:31

I  use google plus now that it uploads my pictures at full resolution. I really like the auto upload feature so i never lose a picture. Rather helpful.

#13 winrez

winrez

Chronic Master Debater

• OS: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit, Windows 8 64-Bit, Windows RT 8.1 (Surface)
  • Phone: Samsung Focus WP7.8/ Nokia Lumina 520

Posted 10 December 2013 - 22:46

all photos I take are automatically uploaded to skydrive

#14 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 10 December 2013 - 22:47

I got the 50GB free Dropbox storage when I got my Galaxy S4. Sadly it didn't go to 100GB when my Note 3 came with 50GB free advertised. They auto upload there.

#15 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 10 December 2013 - 22:49

Man I wish I had a fast enough internet connection to upload my 50gb worth of photos to somewhere, anywhere!

You can use media server and you save your photos/videos on it and share them across the network with the rest of computers/devices...

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!