Photo

Network setup assistance needed

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 cbrookhart

cbrookhart

Neowinian

Posted 10 December 2013 - 19:26

I had a Netgear WGR-614 router that was capable of speeds up to 54Mbps. I recently upgraded my router to a Netgear WNDR 3400 N600. In all, I have 7 wireless devices. At any one point in time though, I have a printer, laptop, Roku player, and my desktop computer connected to the router. All devices operate in the 2.4Ghz band, even though the router can also suppprt 5GHz.

The internet speed I have is 20Mbps, and I get this speed when I run speedtest.net from my desktop (wired connection). When I run speedtest.net on my laptop, the speed I get is an average of 2-4Mbps. The speedtest peaks at 10 when it first starts and then drops to 2-4 for the remainder of the test.

The Roku player often loses the network connection and has difficulty reconnecting. Sometimes, it doesn't even see my network. Playing content on HBO has been difficult because it keeps stopping every five minutes to buffer content The Roku player isn't able to play content in HD.

I spoke with Best Buy computer personnel just to see what they would say, and they said something about how my Internet speed was getting cut in half. I have a router capable of 300Mbps but only 20 is going out. They recommended that I upgrade the Internet speed. The max speed available in my area right now is 50Mbps, but it will be getting upgraded to 100Mbps after the first of the year.

I don't know where I can relocate my router to where I can get a better signal, but the Roku is located in the front of my home and the router is located down the hall and in another room at the back of my home. I am considering upgrading my Internet speed, but I don't know if that is going to make a difference.

#2 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 90
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 10 December 2013 - 19:52

If you can not even get 10 over wireless now, how is increasing internet going to help that?? Who exactly where you talking to at BB, the check out girl? Maybe the guy that checks your receipt when you leave?

you have this

20Mbps internet --- router --- 4mbps wireless
20Mbps internet --- same router --- 20Mbps wired

And they told you if you did this

50Mbps internet --- same router -- MAGIC Happens 50Mbps wireless???

I am at a loss to think anyone could suggest that??

So your now running N, are your clients 802.11n capable? What is the make and model of your roku? Your other devices wireless is somewhat new?

It means nothing to upgrade your router to N or even AC, if all your wireless clients are B or G only..

What settings are you running on wireless - 20mhz, 40 on your N channels. Are you running N only mode, or are you set to B/G/N or some combination? What security settings WPA2 with AES I would assume?

#3 winrez

winrez

Chronic Master Debater

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit, Windows 8 64-Bit, Windows RT 8.1 (Surface)
  • Phone: Samsung Focus WP7.8/ Nokia Lumina 520

Posted 10 December 2013 - 20:08

Kind of sounds more like it could be do to low signal strength

How many walls/floors between the router and Roku? Are there devices that could interfere with your signal in between router & the Roku such as cordless telephone, a microwave or Xmas tree lights?

If this is the case there are a couple things you could do;

1) reposition the router

2) remove interference

3) purchase a range extender to install midway

I would also check into Budman's suggestions regarding router settings

Hope that helps :)

#4 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 25

Posted 10 December 2013 - 20:45

what budman said.

#5 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 December 2013 - 22:02

If you can not even get 10 over wireless now, how is increasing internet going to help that?? Who exactly where you talking to at BB, the check out girl? Maybe the guy that checks your receipt when you leave?

you have this

20Mbps internet --- router --- 4mbps wireless
20Mbps internet --- same router --- 20Mbps wired

And they told you if you did this

50Mbps internet --- same router -- MAGIC Happens 50Mbps wireless???

I am at a loss to think anyone could suggest that??

So your now running N, are your clients 802.11n capable? What is the make and model of your roku? Your other devices wireless is somewhat new?

It means nothing to upgrade your router to N or even AC, if all your wireless clients are B or G only..

What settings are you running on wireless - 20mhz, 40 on your N channels. Are you running N only mode, or are you set to B/G/N or some combination? What security settings WPA2 with AES I would assume?

Don't knock the checkout girl.  They sometimes have great advice...plus they can be damn cute.

#6 Blaze_Zewi

Blaze_Zewi

Neowinian

Posted 10 December 2013 - 23:35

I had a Netgear WGR-614 router that was capable of speeds up to 54Mbps. I recently upgraded my router to a Netgear WNDR 3400 N600. In all, I have 7 wireless devices. At any one point in time though, I have a printer, laptop, Roku player, and my desktop computer connected to the router. All devices operate in the 2.4Ghz band, even though the router can also suppprt 5GHz.

The internet speed I have is 20Mbps, and I get this speed when I run speedtest.net from my desktop (wired connection). When I run speedtest.net on my laptop, the speed I get is an average of 2-4Mbps. The speedtest peaks at 10 when it first starts and then drops to 2-4 for the remainder of the test.

The Roku player often loses the network connection and has difficulty reconnecting. Sometimes, it doesn't even see my network. Playing content on HBO has been difficult because it keeps stopping every five minutes to buffer content The Roku player isn't able to play content in HD.

I spoke with Best Buy computer personnel just to see what they would say, and they said something about how my Internet speed was getting cut in half. I have a router capable of 300Mbps but only 20 is going out. They recommended that I upgrade the Internet speed. The max speed available in my area right now is 50Mbps, but it will be getting upgraded to 100Mbps after the first of the year.

I don't know where I can relocate my router to where I can get a better signal, but the Roku is located in the front of my home and the router is located down the hall and in another room at the back of my home. I am considering upgrading my Internet speed, but I don't know if that is going to make a difference.

Was your old router able to push out ~15-20 Mbps on wireless?

On your new Netgear 3400 router under Advance Setting tab -> QOS uncheck WMM setting. That should fix your weak wireless connection.

#7 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2013 - 00:19

802.11g is quite capable of 20mbps, but its possible the router had an issue with nat/firewall and pushing that from wan to lan. I had an old 54g version 1 or something that could max out about 15Mbps from wan to lan. But could do say 22-23 peak over wireless to lan.

What outsome details it going to be difficult to pinpoint his issue - but I can tell you for sure that bumping his internet to 50 is not going to fix his wireless issue ;)

#8 OP cbrookhart

cbrookhart

Neowinian

Posted 11 December 2013 - 19:44

All devices are b/g/n capable. I think the new router did help some, because I never got 4-7Mbps on a wireless speedtest.

I went to the computer department at Best Buy and spoke with someone there. I specifically mentioned that I had 20Mbps Internet, and I got that at the desktop. I mentioned I had a much slower connection on the wireless end, and I was having problems being able to stream content from the Roku (Roku 2 XS). Best Buy did in fact say that I could either get the N600 router OR upgrade my Internet. I think now that they were just saying that to get me to spend money, but another reason I think the new router helped is because I was able to stream HBO (but not high quality) whereas with the old router I couldn't stream HBO.

There are many other wireless networks in my area, but I can't really do anything about that. I suppose there could be interferance since the router is located down the hall and in another room, where it sits near the wireless printer. There are also two modems where the router is located -- one is a cable modem and the other is a modem for phone service. There is also a HVAC space on the way to where the router is located.

#9 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2013 - 20:39

Probably need to get better signal strength to the room that the roku is in.  I put a wireless access point in the same room as my roku.  It covers the 2nd floor of my house quite well where a single wireless router couldn't cover that area of the house that well.

#10 OP cbrookhart

cbrookhart

Neowinian

Posted 11 December 2013 - 21:02

I changed the WMM setting and that actually made the connection worse.

Now I can't get over 2Mbps and Roku content plays in poor quality. I guess I need a range extender.

If I were to get a wireless access point, would something like this work?  http://www.bestbuy.c...point&cp=1&lp=6

#11 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2013 - 21:07

Looks like it would work with the least amount of effort.

Just curious, what is your signal strength in the room with the Roku?

#12 OP cbrookhart

cbrookhart

Neowinian

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:36

Before changing the WMM settings, I got anywhere from 4-7Mbps where the Roku is. Now I'm getting 1-2Mbps. If I clear all the browser cache, cookies, and history, and then run a speed test, the result is a bit better.I was thinking that another part of the problem was all the devices operating in the same wireless band.

#13 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:48

That wasn't my question. It is even simpler than that....how many bars do you see in that room?  It is a 1-5 answer, or 1-3 depending on what wireless software you looking at. It will be in your sys tray. 

#14 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 December 2013 - 13:40

from a windows 7 or 8 laptop in the same room as your roku.. Can you run the command or look at the interface via gui?

examples
wirelesscmd1.png

guiwireless.png

The command line command will give us more info to work with.

Now this connection is crap, its a wireless card I have in my desktop but it doesn't even have antenna connected to it, and its under my desk, etc. But you can see its got great signal bars but only at 72 mbps for trans and recv

#15 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 December 2013 - 16:12

Even at 72Mb/s you are getting more than what he requires to have to get the speeds he is looking for.