Photo

Network setup assistance needed

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 89
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 16:23

Exactly!! My point..

But lets keep in mind wireless is Shared.. So I would suggest do your speed test, show your details. Then make sure every single wireless devices is OFF on your network. And do your tests again.

But for all we know your router talking to your device is only transmitting at some really low number?

G wireless is quite capable of 20Mbps -- normally you might only see 15 to 18.. But good wireless G is going to be 19 to 23 at the peak, etc.

But without some actual details, I agree for all we know his roku has 1 bar and is at a much lower rate. It could be something as stupid as his wireless antenna is loose on his router? Have you checked that? With all the other wireless off other than your 1 test laptop.. What speeds and bars do you get when say in same room as your router vs when your near your roku location?

What does your wireless landscape look like.. Can you run say http://www.metageek....ducts/inssider/ what else is on same channel as you?

#17 OP cbrookhart

cbrookhart

Neowinian

Posted 13 December 2013 - 14:40

That wasn't my question. It is even simpler than that....how many bars do you see in that room?  It is a 1-5 answer, or 1-3 depending on what wireless software you looking at. It will be in your sys tray. 

4-5, but mostly 4.

#18 OP cbrookhart

cbrookhart

Neowinian

Posted 13 December 2013 - 14:52

Here are the details of my wireless connection:

wifi connection status.jpg

wifi details.jpg

#19 OP cbrookhart

cbrookhart

Neowinian

Posted 13 December 2013 - 15:11

Here's a screenshot from the insider application.

insider screenshot.jpg

There are anywhere from 2-4 overlapping channels. Roku support suggested picking channel 11 for the router, but I previously had it on auto. All the wireless networks near me seem to either be on 11 or 6.

I bought a range extender, but haven't connected it yet.

#20 OP cbrookhart

cbrookhart

Neowinian

Posted 13 December 2013 - 15:47

I hooked up the range extender and connected my laptop to the new SSID created by the range extender. I am now getting 20Mbps on a wireless connection.

Now for the other problem --- it is not surprising to me that the Roku player locked up when I switched to the HDMI input for the Roku. After restarting it, it had no network connection. Now the Roku won't connect to my original network or the extended network.

#21 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 December 2013 - 15:48

If you can not even get 10 over wireless now, how is increasing internet going to help that?? Who exactly where you talking to at BB, the check out girl? Maybe the guy that checks your receipt when you leave?

you have this

20Mbps internet --- router --- 4mbps wireless
20Mbps internet --- same router --- 20Mbps wired

And they told you if you did this

50Mbps internet --- same router -- MAGIC Happens 50Mbps wireless???

I am at a loss to think anyone could suggest that??

These people are trained in sales, not troubleshooting.  They're better equipped at selling you a toaster than giving you technical advice.

Just like if you want decent car advice, you don't talk to the guys in the dealer's showroom.  You talk to the mechanics working in the garage.

#22 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 December 2013 - 15:55

"All the wireless networks near me seem to either be on 11 or 6."

Well then why are you not on 1? Why would you pick 11 if there are overlapping networks there? Did the person at BB tell to pick the channel number with the most networks on it as well? ;)

Range extenders will cut your bandwidth /2 use AP vs wireless range extenders/repeaters.

You don't show what the ssids are around you, make sure your SSID that you broadcast is UNIQUE to the others around.

#23 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 25

Posted 13 December 2013 - 16:00

I hooked up the range extender and connected my laptop to the new SSID created by the range extender. I am now getting 20Mbps on a wireless connection.

Now for the other problem --- it is not surprising to me that the Roku player locked up when I switched to the HDMI input for the Roku. After restarting it, it had no network connection. Now the Roku won't connect to my original network or the extended network.

Try resetting the Roku.

#24 OP cbrookhart

cbrookhart

Neowinian

Posted 13 December 2013 - 22:27

I got everything working now. As for the channel, I selected the channel to use. I'll have to try out other channels until I find the optimal one.

Should I take the range extender back and get an access point? What would the difference in speed be?

#25 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 December 2013 - 22:55

The difference in speed with a extender/repeater is HALF of whatever your wireless would be without it. Since your repeating/retransmitting everything.

http://www.smallnetb...eless-extenders
Because most wireless extenders use a single radio to receive and then retransmit each data packet, bandwidth is cut in half vs. what you would see in the same location when connecting directly to the base router. So wireless extenders are best used to bring wireless to a location where your main router's signal is very weak or doesn't reach at all. Wireless extenders are not useful to increase throughput due to the 50% throughput reduction.

Now if all your doing with it it streaming from the internet and your internet is only 20Mbps - I doubt you should have a problem with N seeing 20Mbps.. But if what you want to do is move files around your network over wireless, wireless to wireless is by itself /2 to your bandwidth anyway.. So if your doing wireless to wireless transfers you get /2 if you then are going through the repeater you would see another /2

#26 OP cbrookhart

cbrookhart

Neowinian

Posted 11 January 2014 - 21:06

I ended up purchasing a Netgear Range Extender, and brought it home and set it up on the network. For a few days, the range extender was working perfectly. One day, the range extender was showing a poor signal after showing an excellent signal for the past few days. The poor signal seemed to only be temporary and the range extender resumed showing an excellent signal.

Since the range extender had temporarily gone to a poor signal, I had someone come out and take a look at the setup. The network setup itself was fine, but through the use of a network signal analyzer application, it was determined that there was a dead spot in the area where I am using the Roku and my wireless laptop. There is some signal getting to the area, but nowhere near the max speed I have from my ISP (20Mbps).

Based on the dead spot, it was recommended that I take out the range extender and replace it with a powerline adapter. I've got one powerline adapter in the room where the cable modem and router are located and the other adapter is in the front of my home (where the dead spot is). This setup worked, but as was the case with the range extender, the Internet became slow again and I wasn't getting good speed). I disconnected from my network and connected to my ISP's cable WiFim, but that proved to be even slower. I disconnected from that network but couldn't get connected back to my own network.

I've been in contact with the person I had come out the first time, and now they are recommending that I get a Netgear N300 router and connect that into the powerline adapter to essentially create another network. I've also since gone back to Best Buy and asked about what I can get in order to have faster web browsing and get closer to the max speed. They suggested I could get an AC router. The first time I asked Best Buy about my network situation, they said either upgrade the Internet speed or get a Netgear N600. I got the router since the one I previously had was at least 7 years old. When the Roku still wasn't working well, I went back and asked what I can get. They then recommended the range extender. Best Buy has since now recommended getting an AC router since the range extender was removed and Internet speed has suffered as a result.

I understand that Best Buy is in the business to make money, so they can just recommend products to purchase all day long. I don't know that I really have the ideal setup that I need or would like to have. I'm getting different products recommended each time I go to the store. I'm fine with the Internet speed being cut in half from 20 to 10 with the range extender, because the range extender solved both problems -- Internet speed and Roku streaming. There's still the question though of why the range extender momentarily showed a poor signal.

I'm trying to determine if getting a second router is going to be the best solution or if I need something else.