The tutorial stops abruptly after that which can leave you a bit lost (still a w.i.p)

Beta sector is still providing a challenge if I tackle more than 4 mobs so I can hold off until the wipe for now, not even going to try and craft the boss drop into anything that can progress me to new places.  :)

I'm trying to make a space helmet so I can visit asteroids/moons, I don't want to lose 4k pixels just to see what it looks like.

I had about 700 holiday spirits and crafted a few things which I destroyed shortly after, they were no use to me, I think they can make Christmas food items so I'll probably use them all on candy canes and be a toothless ape. :D

Ahaaaa! Cheers Loui. Well need to get a wee game a day :)

I don't think the space helmet actually does anything, you'll need the survival kit which can only be acquired in the delta sector.

Also when you want to travel to the beta sector after the distress beacon, just sit in the chair in your ship and zoom out with right click. Then click the beta tab on the top right side of the map.

I got to the gamma sector and kinda burnt out because of the wipe, I keep saving pixels to craft stuff then promptly dying and losing most of them :'(

I don't think the space helmet actually does anything, you'll need the survival kit which can only be acquired in the delta sector.

Also when you want to travel to the beta sector after the distress beacon, just sit in the chair in your ship and zoom out with right click. Then click the beta tab on the top right side of the map.

I got to the gamma sector and kinda burnt out because of the wipe, I keep saving pixels to craft stuff then promptly dying and losing most of them :'(

Oh boo, guess no asteroids for me till after the wipe then :(

You ever think of making a pixel compressor? It takes 40% but soon death tax will be 30% so not a huge loss

I spent 10k on raw alien meat :D I figured 2k of cooked meat would be handier than pixel blocks right now :p

Damn it! Think I pretty much now NEED to get us all a wee server to play on. (So as y`all can keep me right, getting confused already!)

Will be a deffo once wipe is over. I,ll keep you all posted.

Dont see the ?7 or whatever it is a month being a bank breaker lol.

Glad to hear the wipe has finally happened. Honestly think it was a mistake announcing it so early before it rolled out. I've barely touched the game because what's the point.

Will get stuck in now though (Y)

Pixel compressors are a waste of time, you want the ore to pixel converter thing, forgot the name, but it's very useful

Yeah, the refinery's a huge help.

Like most here, glad the wipe has happened. I was waiting for it to happen (like a few others).

I did already clear the game and was at the endgame.

Hopefully now with this big engine change out the way. They can get back to what they originally planned and that is add new content on a almost daily basis.

• 4 weeks later...

This topic seems to have died off. Has everyone lost interest in SB? Dev posted a new update on their blog:

Hi guys,

So today we spent our Sunday having a long (5 hours!) design discussion in which we are pencilling in the finer details of the games progression.

As we said before, the current progression is entirely temporary, existing to provide temporary gameplay whilst we work on the engine. Today I want to share more with you about the games new structure and the beginning of the game.

First of all we?re removing the different universe sectors. In the final game there will be only three sectors. The sector the majority of the game takes place in, a pvp sector and a creative sector without dangers.

Instead of progressing through the game sector by sector, you?ll advance by upgrading your tech to allow you to visit planets that were otherwise inaccessible due to hazards. An example being a planet with no breathable air. Progression will be less linear and more akin to the kind of progression you find in modern metroidvanias.

We?re building the game with 3 main paths of progression that branch off later on. Farming, adventuring and building. We want players to be able to advance through the game whilst doing whatever they enjoy most.

At the beginning of the game (what would be the alpha sector in the current progression) you start on a ship with a broken fuel module, giving you access to only one planet. Through a series of quests you?re taught how to farm, find trophies in dungeons and build the beginnings of a settlement. Completing these quests will give you the pixels you need to use your ships 3d printer to produce a new fuel module. Which in turn allows progression to the other planets in your current solar system.

At this stage were introducing a new planet type called an outpost. A small and safe planet populated by members of every race. A safe haven for trade and quest taking. You?ll learn how to generate pixels through selling crops, taking quests, selling trophies found in dungeons and renting out houses in your settlement.

From here each of these roles will expand outwards as you progress (for example animal farming becomes an optional part of the farming progression).

More on that later

http://playstarbound.com/23rd-february/

(moving this to GH as it's multiplatform & christening it an Official topic :P)

I have put more than 100 hours into this game and its absolutely amazing love it. Which is odd being that i did not care too much for Terraria.

I have put more than 100 hours into this game and its absolutely amazing love it. Which is odd being that i did not care too much for Terraria.

For me its because not everything is out to kill you and once you are bored or finished looting the lands you can find a new place to loot. :D

Same, I tried so hard to get into Terarria. Could never get anything beyond 1st tier or 2 before getting bored.

But im also at about 75hrs+ in this game and loving it. Fact I`m off to get the last of this Rubidium mined :p

This blog slipped by me, from yesterday:

So there will be a new update coming down the pipe soon, and there?s a couple of bits here that need explaining.

We?re changing the way we do releases slightly. There will be a new ?unstable? branch which you can select on steam, which will receive updates sooner than the regular branch that you get when you install starbound. Anybody who is interested in helping us test the releases is encouraged to try it out, but please please note that unstable may destroy your saves and be generally, well, unstable. Yes, we know this is a testing branch for our beta, which is also for testing, but we?re trying to keep the big ugly data destroying bugs to a minimum so we figure this will help. We put some tests in your tests so you can test while you? anyway,

The next thing that needs mentioning? update sizes! It seems every time there is a starbound update it?s 500 ? 700 MB, regardless of how tiny it is. This is due to two things:, One, our windows binaries had full debugging information because (for silly technical reasons) that was the only way we could get stacktraces from crashes. Well, not anymore! Windows binaries are now built at debug level 1 (as opposed to 2) which means that instead of starbound.exe being 450MB it?s more like 30MB. So there?s that.

The OTHER thing that was causing large updates was our pak file system. Whenever we updated pak files, we tended to completely rebuild the pak file with just a file or two changed, which was enough to make the steam binary diff system go bonkers and just basically re-download the whole file again. This is also fixed! We now add to the pak file in place, so minimal changes occur (and at the end of the file) that make steam deltas very small. This is important as we want to start doing more frequent content updates (as we?ve mentioned).

That?s the good news, the BAD news is that in order to make this happen, you?re going to have to download the entire pak file again, so the first update will kinda suck (pak file format change). But, it should get better after that. To all those that have bandwidth caps, I?m very sorry :(

The update should include several bugfixes and updates to heck, the treasure horde, and the skyrails system at least, probably post a full changelog later. The update will hit ?unstable? tonight, and probably ?stable? tomorrow depending on how things go.

-kyren

In short, Starbound > properties > beta > unstable, for access to potentially buggy but earlier releases :D

Source: http://playstarbound.com/nother-update-new-unstable-branch-on-steam/

Need more end game items. Got my Impervium setup and am now just farting about various planets looking for better weaponry and plans.

Nothing so far :(

That and feeding what I can to the 3D printer.

Might start looking at mods and/or making my own now.

• 6 months later...

Hi guys

So it?s no secret that a bunch of early access projects have run into trouble lately. From running out of money to ceasing development for political reasons. It?s not the best time to be a part of the early access party and it?s easy to see why people are worried about the health of the Starbound project.

I wanted in no uncertain terms to assure everyone that there?s no chance of Starbound going that way. Not only is the development of Starbound extremely healthy. (More so than it?s ever been in fact, with more team members than ever and all of us in the same location). But Chucklefish could fund the development of Starbound for another 9 years at least. Even if we didn?t make another penny in that time. This includes all our office costs, salaries and every other kind of company expenditure.  Not only that but every member of the team is super dedicated to getting Starbound to where THEY want it to be. Which is 1.0 and beyond.

So why don?t we hire a bunch more programmers and finish Starbound faster?

I?m afraid it just doesn?t work that way, bringing on a new programmer requires a huge amount of invested time. Programmers need to learn the code base, they need existing programmers to teach them the code base. It takes months of getting up to speed to reap the rewards of that investment. Then you have a huge communication overhead as well as all the businessy time sinks that go along with a new hire. Not to mention finding room to house those additional hires (We would have to move to a bigger office!).

So I hope this is reassuring to the worried out there. Starbound is coming and you can check our progress on the Starbound blog and by opting into our nightly builds.

http://blog.chucklefish.org/?p=327

Anyone still playing?

Come to the pc darkside!

It's really not so bad! :laugh:

Haha.

I think I've held off more because I've heard a bit of drama about the state of the game so would rather just play a finished product. Terraria was amazing on Vita till the update corrupted my save....

• 2 months later...

The sprite art is almost on Metal Slug levels. So pretty.

...you and I remember Metal Slug very differently. :S