Xbox One Update: December 2013

http://majornelson.com/2013/12/10/xbox-one-system-update/

Xbox One System Update

I wanted to let you know that later today a required Xbox One system update will become available. This update works a little bit differently than what fans are used to on Xbox 360. Here?s what you can expect:

11310812683_2ced9080ab_n.jpg

A. If you are using the Xbox One ?Instant On? (the low power state that allows you to instantly power up your console by saying ?Xbox On?), your console automatically checks for updates when it you turn it off. Once we make the update available (on Tuesday, December 10th, 5:00 PM PT) this means the following will happen:

• Your console will automatically download the update after you turn it off. Once the update has been downloaded in the background, your console will power completely down. Please note: You will need to manually power your console back on after the update has been downloaded. Because the update will power your console completely down, the ?Xbox On? voice command won?t be available until after the update is fully installed.
  • When you turn the console on you?ll see the update being applied. After that, your Xbox One will reboot. You?ll know the update is installing when you see the Xbox logo on the green background (like at the top of this post.) This can take anywhere from 2-5 minutes. Once the update has finished installing, you?ll boot to the Home screen and you?re all set.
  • Don?t worry, if you are out of town for the holidays, you console also does regular checks for updates and will download it in the background even if you have not used you Xbox One in a couple of days.

B. If you are not using the Xbox One ?Instant On? feature, you will be required to download and apply this update after Thursday, December 12th at 4:00 PM PT.

This update addresses the following:

• Addresses SmartGlass issues for some users when coming in and out of connected standby
  • Addresses multiplayer issues for some users when re-joining games
  • Addresses issues with inconsistent notifications for some users
  • Addresses dashboard performance for some users
  • Offers improvements for Xbox One?s TV, system update, and content update services for scaling over time
  • Updated wireless networking driver to improve connectivity issues for some users

We?ve got quite a few updates planned for the next year based on the community feedback we?ve been seeing, and I?ll have details on those in the future.

Thanks and I?ll see you online.

Everything XBO feels less refined than Xbox 360. :/ WTF is with you need to manually turn it on, couldn't that be done automatically on next "instant on"?

-----

Xbox One Update: November 2013

Xbox One Owner Impressions

DirectX 12 Coming to Xbox One

Everything XBO feels less refined than Xbox 360. :/ WTF is with you need to manually turn it on, couldn't that be done automatically on next "instant on"?

Definitely sounds a little messy. Hopefully the console can't be bricked by unsuspecting users if they grow impatient during those 2-5 minutes. I doubt MS would do it this way unless they had no other option.

• Addresses dashboard performance for some users
  • Offers improvements for Xbox One?s TV, system update, and content update services for scaling over time
  • Updated wireless networking driver to improve connectivity issues for some users

Sound good though.

No fix for no battery % for the controller? Thats a major annoyance to me.

It looks like what they fixed are all legitimate bugs in the system, which would all have a higher priority than what you want here.

I wouldn't say that - with most OS updates you need to do a hard reboot and they probably just chose this route instead of the one where your Xbox just all of a sudden turns on for 'no' reason so the user knows what's going on.

I'm kind of surprised to see an update this quickly, so its nice to see they are working on things. Hopefully that means updates roll out as soon as they can going forward.

I know some people were mentioning dashboard slowdowns in another thread, so maybe this addresses that issue for them.

It's interesting that they didn't mention the change to the store that adds the demos section.

Also, I wonder what this part means:

"Offers improvements for Xbox One?s TV, system update, and content update services for scaling over time"

Improvements for scaling over time. Hmm...

Instant On uses standby. You can't apply a system update just by going into standby and coming back out, it requires a cold boot. The easiest analogy is Windows. You have some updates that do not require a restart of your pc, but then some do. If you read through the changes being made, there are clearly things that would require a restart of the X1 (such as updating system drivers), not just putting it to sleep and waking it up.

So the system downloads the update while the system is off and then starts the update process. The process includes a restart of the system. Since this is all automatic without your knowledge, you may not even be at the X1 when it happens, so MS decided to just have it shut off instead of telling it to immediately restart the system. That way, when you get back tot he X1, you'll switch it on and it will finish the update. If it were to immediately restart, the system would just be sitting there on until you came back to it.

Notice that if your X1 is not set to go into standby, the process is simple: You'll be prompted to download the update while your using it and it will go through the entire process of rebooting, etc, to complete the update. In fact, that is more like the 360 method. I think it just sounds confusing written out like that frankly. Remember, the 360 low power state is not the same the the 'standby' feature of the X1. On the 360, you were still technically shutting the system down since its not like it would remember play states or pop you right back into what you were doing.

I'm kind of surprised to see an update this quickly, so its nice to see they are working on things. Hopefully that means updates roll out as soon as they can going forward.

I know some people were mentioning dashboard slowdowns in another thread, so maybe this addresses that issue for them.

It's interesting that they didn't mention the change to the store that adds the demos section.

"Offers improvements for Xbox One?s TV, system update, and content update services for scaling over time"

Instant On uses standby. You can't apply a system update just by going into standby and coming back out, it requires a cold boot. The easiest analogy is Windows. You have some updates that do not require a restart of your pc, but then some do. If you read through the changes being made, there are clearly things that would require a restart of the X1 (such as updating system drivers), not just putting it to sleep and waking it up.

So the system downloads the update while the system is off and then starts the update process. The process includes a restart of the system. Since this is all automatic without your knowledge, you may not even be at the X1 when it happens, so MS decided to just have it shut off instead of telling it to immediately restart the system. That way, when you get back tot he X1, you'll switch it on and it will finish the update. If it were to immediately restart, the system would just be sitting there on until you came back to it.

Notice that if your X1 is not set to go into standby, the process is simple: You'll be prompted to download the update while your using it and it will go through the entire process of rebooting, etc, to complete the update. In fact, that is more like the 360 method. I think it just sounds confusing written out like that frankly. Remember, the 360 low power state is not the same the the 'standby' feature of the X1. On the 360, you were still technically shutting the system down since its not like it would remember play states or pop you right back into what you were doing.

And yes Microsoft are completely able to reboot your PC instead of shutting it off completely to update, What's their excuse for the Xbox One?!

I'll take any improvements that they out out.

I have yet to experience any of the issues noted above.

And yes Microsoft are completely able to reboot your PC instead of shutting it off completely to update, What's their excuse for the Xbox One?!

Um, did you even read my post before you quoted it?

I'll repeat it for you.

My assumption is that MS decided that it would be best to not force the console to restart since it is very likely that the user would not be sitting there and then the system would just be left running without the user knowing. There may be user prompts that are needed for the second half of the update as well.

Otherwise, I agree that there is no reason that the system couldn't reboot itself and finish the update. Once we see the update in action, we will get a better idea of why its going that way. If there are no prompts, then I would say MS needs to improve the process to just reboot the X1 on its own to complete the update and then put itself back into standby. They would also need to post a notification or something, so that when you came back to your X1, you wouldn't be shocked to find that whatever you had running before is now closed due to the restart.

Mine is currently off, so I'll be watching for it to shut down completely.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but my PS3 can be off, it comes on to check for update automatically, installs update, shuts off. Why would the Xbox just stay on until you came back? I rather have updates installed automatically, without me having to do any interventions. If they want to show a pop-up when I turn the system back on indicating what has updated (like my DirecTV receiver), then that would be a bonus. The user shouldn't have to do anything in 2013 regarding OS updates on a console.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but my PS3 can be off, it comes on to check for update automatically, installs update, shuts off. Why would the Xbox just stay on until you came back? I rather have updates installed automatically, without me having to do any interventions. If they want to show a pop-up when I turn the system back on indicating what has updated (like my DirecTV receiver), then that would be a bonus. The user shouldn't have to do anything in 2013 regarding OS updates on a console.

I'm saying they might have some kind of user prompts for this particular update.

I think the update would definitely need to at least alert you though. The issue here is different from your ps3. The ps4 and X1 can go into standby. So take the X1, while its in standby, it can save the state of whatever your doing on the X1. If an update comes down and forces a reboot, you lose that save state. After the update is done, it would then need to go back into standby if the system is going to be left in the mode that you left it in. When you come back to your console, your going to find that whatever you had left open, was closed thanks to the reboot. At that point, it would be nice to know why that happened.

how do we do if it updated...any change in the OS version ? I had it off all day and turn it was around 8:30..didnt notice a thing.

Well if the above instructions are correct, then you would know because the system would need to finish the update after you turned it back on.

Also, you would notice that it was taking longer to boot up because it would be powering up from a shut down, not from running in standby like it usually does.

Well do keep in mind that even though they said the update would start rolling out at 8pm EST, that doesn't mean everyone gets it at once.

Just like with windows updates or even updates on the 360, there is a regional rollout as it populates all the update servers.

I can hear some activity from mine as well, so it may be getting the update. We will know for sure when you see the white light on your power brick turn orange, that tells you that the system is completely shut down.

I completely understand why the system needs to be reboot but they could have made it better.

If some Joe user didn't know about this update and was using instant on, won't he be left clueless why his Xbox doesn't respond to Xbox On anymore?

They could have

- Download the update in the background and go back to "sleep" (instant on) state.

- When user wakes it up the next time, prompt for update, install it, reboot and done!

I completely understand why the system needs to be reboot but they could have made it better.

If some Joe user didn't know about this update and was using instant on, won't he be left clueless why his Xbox doesn't respond to Xbox On anymore?

They could have

- Download the update in the background and go back to "sleep" (instant on) state.

- When user wakes it up the next time, prompt for update, install it, reboot and done!

I completely agree that they could do that. Maybe that's the plan for future updates or maybe they had another reason, I don't know.

I do know that if they do as you suggestion, some people will still be upset because they have to wait for the update process to complete vs the system doing it all without their knowledge.

If it wasn't for the fact that the xbox on command doesn't work when the system is completely off, then I think their current method would be ok.

I just realized that today is patch Tuesday, coincidence that Xbox One got updated today or sign of things to come? :)

I just realized that today is patch Tuesday, coincidence that Xbox One got updated today or sign of things to come? :)

I hope its a sign of things to come. It would be nice to see them releasing patches each Tuesday pace wise.

I still haven't gotten the update yet though.

Alright, well I finally got the update. After it had shut off, it took about 4 minutes to complete the update. At first glance, I can't see any differences, but the list of fixes were things I either was not experiencing or wont be able to see if its better until I have used the system a bit more.

Hopefully the rest of you can chime in with any changes you notice.

I haven't got the update here in the UK yet, when i went to bed the update was 1hr from rolling out and my X1 was in instant on standby mode.

Edit

I just turned it off again and it has now started to update.