Xbox One Update: December 2013

Waiting for you to turn off the system before it downloads and installs the update is to make sure the user doesn't try to do something that could mess with it.  The only downside is that it doesn't restart on it's own after but waits for you to.  That could be to make sure someone is actually home and not away.  What if you don't have it set to go into standby on it's own after a set period of time being idle?  Then it would stay on till you got home, don't think anyone want's that.  Of course I'm sure they'll update the update process itself so we'll see how it is later on.

I turned my Xbox One off (using "Instant On" mode) a few minutes ago. I can hear the hard drive working. So I'm guessing it's downloading the update? :huh:

When I first tried instant On, it took whole minutes for the Xbox to stop making any noise, disk/fan etc.

I completely understand why the system needs to be reboot but they could have made it better.

If some Joe user didn't know about this update and was using instant on, won't he be left clueless why his Xbox doesn't respond to Xbox On anymore?

They could have

- Download the update in the background and go back to "sleep" (instant on) state.

- When user wakes it up the next time, prompt for update, install it, reboot and done!

The only logical way I can see this being possible.

MS don goof.

My xbox has been a lot more stable today, but I feel like the tv image quality has gone down.

I've noticed no change to my picture while watching tv... Does the xbox do any processing to the cable signal?

So, has anyone else been using the system since the update?Notice any changes?I still need run through it a bit more.

I haven't noticed any changes, played about 30 min and the rest just watching tv

Now if they can just get the "Xbox On" command to work properly, like the rest of the commands... it's like a 25% success rate, and like the mic is too low to pick up the command, unless you get really close to the Kinect, I have verified the issue with the console using 2 different Kinects.

Now if they can just get the "Xbox On" command to work properly, like the rest of the commands... it's like a 25% success rate, and like the mic is too low to pick up the command, unless you get really close to the Kinect, I have verified the issue with the console using 2 different Kinects.

I see this mentioned, but it might not be that the command doesn't work, there could be other reasons:

1. Mic needs to be calibrated again with a louder volume set to your speakers for the calibration

2. Maybe there is a placement issue.

So I would highly suggest anyone that is having the problem you mentioned to try recalibrating and crank that sound. You don't need to blow up your speakers, but I can verify that having that volume too low during calibration results in the mic not picking up commands nearly as well and requiring you to be fairly close.

If it fails to improve at all after that, then maybe its a defective Kinect.

I see this mentioned, but it might not be that the command doesn't work, there could be other reasons:

1. Mic needs to be calibrated again with a louder volume set to your speakers for the calibration

2. Maybe there is a placement issue.

So I would highly suggest anyone that is having the problem you mentioned to try recalibrating and crank that sound. You don't need to blow up your speakers, but I can verify that having that volume too low during calibration results in the mic not picking up commands nearly as well and requiring you to be fairly close.

If it fails to improve at all after that, then maybe its a defective Kinect.

Just had the Kinect replaced today, the original one died, (Kinect DIsconnected error, another issue many people are having) Microsoft FedEx'ed me a new one, it works, but same issue with "Xbox On" Command.

1: Calibrated 10+ times on old Kinect and 3-4 times on new Kinect

2:Placement has been in front of the TV just below it, and on-top of it, with a Kinect Mount for the XBox one, and it is direclty in front of user 6-7 feet away. Doesn't matter if you are 6-7 feet or 10+ feet away when you say the command, only seems to work if you are standing right in front of it, 2-3 feet away.

I've re-calibrated it with sound Loud, and REALLY loud, shaking the room, 5.1 surround, and no difference. Plus, room is TOTALLY quiet when I say "Xbox On" so it shouldn't matter. And can't be a defective Kinect, since this is a brand new one. I think it's a problem with their system in low-power mode not powering the Kinect Mic enough to pick up the command while it is in this state. Since all commands when the system is on work fine, even over really LOUD TV.

I've re-calibrated it with sound Loud, and REALLY loud, shaking the room, 5.1 surround, and no difference. Plus, room is TOTALLY quiet when I say "Xbox On" so it shouldn't matter. And can't be a defective Kinect, since this is a brand new one. I think it's a problem with their system in low-power mode not powering the Kinect Mic enough to pick up the command while it is in this state. Since all commands when the system is on work fine, even over really LOUD TV.

It can't be a problem with the system in low power because not everyone is having your problem. I am not having your problem. That's why I suggested that something might be faulty.

As far as it not mattering since the room is quiet, I don't think that is true. I think the calibration actually adjusts how sensitive the mic is, in order to say work farther away or while there are other sounds in the room.

So if you have calibrated and it didn't fix anything, complain to MS and see what they say. Anyone having this problem should tell them about it because it shouldn't be happening.

I need more testing however it is possible they have fixed my panning judder issue i was having in the UK. More testing needed on good panning content but so far so good.

Just had the Kinect replaced today, the original one died, (Kinect DIsconnected error, another issue many people are having) Microsoft FedEx'ed me a new one, it works, but same issue with "Xbox On" Command.

2:Placement has been in front of the TV just below it, and on-top of it, with a Kinect Mount for the XBox one, and it is direclty in front of user 6-7 feet away. Doesn't matter if you are 6-7 feet or 10+ feet away when you say the command, only seems to work if you are standing right in front of it, 2-3 feet away.

I know exactly what you're talking about.

Same issues.. Saying "xbox on" after it's been off all night doesn't get recognized easy enough.

I've repeatedly had to say it 3 or 4 times at some points for it to actually hear me. Usually after getting right in front of it for it to hear me.

Seems to me it isn't hearing the command effeciently enough after being in the standby Instant On mode overnight as it does when you are actively using it. If you actively use the voice commnads, and even turn it off and back on a minute later, it seems to repsond well enough there. But overnight, it doesn't want to hear you in a dead silent room in the morning.  Like it's in too deep a sleep mode.

I maybe imagining it but Forza 5 doesn't play as smoothly since the update, anyone else notice this, am in the UK?

EDIT

I fixed this by getting the X1 to redetect the TV and set it to HDMI rather than HDMI(Auto) then changing the resolution from 640 to 1080P.

Have you tried "Yo... Xbox On". Or something like that? Sort of waking it up, ready to listen.

Does it work if you say it loud enough?

Have you tried "Yo... Xbox On". Or something like that? Sort of waking it up, ready to listen.

Does it work if you say it loud enough?

Doesn't really matter how loud you say it, it only seems to work for me if I get like real close to the sensor 2-4 feet away, then I can say it normal or loud. If I say it normal or loud from 8 feet, it doesn't wake.

Well there has to be some variable that is different for those having the problem and those that are not.

Maybe its the range. My couch is 6 feet away and I can get the X1 to turn on with a normal voice whether that is from sitting overnight or after its been on during the day.

I'll try it from say 8 feet away and see if it is unable to pick me up like xendrome has run into.

Booting from cold start now definitely feels faster for me. I don't have the Instant On feature active as my One is plugged into a plugboard with other stuff that gets switched off at night, I don't turn the console off anyway unless I want it fully off, if I'm in the middle of something I leave it on :)

I completely understand why the system needs to be reboot but they could have made it better.

If some Joe user didn't know about this update and was using instant on, won't he be left clueless why his Xbox doesn't respond to Xbox On anymore?

They could have

- Download the update in the background and go back to "sleep" (instant on) state.

- When user wakes it up the next time, prompt for update, install it, reboot and done!

Dude, I knew about the update and I still forgot why my Kinect wasn't responding. Then it clicked afterwards, but whatever, hopefully they smooth out these things.

Booting from cold start now definitely feels faster for me. I don't have the Instant On feature active as my One is plugged into a plugboard with other stuff that gets switched off at night, I don't turn the console off anyway unless I want it fully off, if I'm in the middle of something I leave it on :)

I can second your observation.

I did a quick test and my cold boot times went from 30 seconds to 21 seconds. So they did something to cut those times.

That's good news, I bet they'll make it even faster with a few more updates as they optimize it more and more.  I really want to see what benefits come to the games.

Off topic- but which mount did you pick up?  there is only 1 on amazon and the only review says it wont work with the new kinect

http://www.amazon.com/LETECK-Xbox-One-Kinect-Camera-mount/dp/B00GU0H5X4/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1386874002&sr=1-1&keywords=kinect+tv+mount