Xbox One Update: December 2013

I can second your observation.

I did a quick test and my cold boot times went from 30 seconds to 21 seconds. So they did something to cut those times.

I was just a little concerned on the reboot where the update actually installs, it sticks on the Xbox One boot screen for ages, it makes you think it's stuck, but you can hear the hard drive chattering if the room is quiet and you listen carefully. They should put in a progress dialog to let you know, like on the 360, and a bit like the Windows Update dialog, or like on Windows 7 after updates when you reboot, it could say something like, "Installing updates. Please don't turn off your Xbox One console, it will turn off automatically once finished". Once it had turned itself off and I switched it on again, I then noticed the improvement.

I wonder how many people turned their console off forcefully during that update period, thinking it had frozen/crashed/got stuck...

I didn't notice anything about the update. Turned my Xbox on and by-time it turned the TV and my AV equipment on, it was already on the dash.

Other than the obvious issue of having to turn it on manually, it was seamless.