Photo

Questions before switching ISPs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 capr

capr

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:14

Neowin, what questions would you like answered before you switch isps. Assume the new guy is more costly, but offers a fiber solution, gigabit network and everything.
Get technical if that's what it would take. Speed, throughput, latency, redundancy... what else would be good?

#2 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:47

When I was shopping around for ISPs the other month I didn't really get overly technical, although that's mostly because the choice around here isn't huge. I just compared the speeds with the price and went with the best option (150 Mbit/s for about 80CHF a month).

#3 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 21

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:04

Price to speed.

#4 OP capr

capr

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2013 - 18:56

Price to speed? what if there is 2 competitors with the same speed/price. You flip a coin? I am trying to find out what the Techie audience is looking for so please get technical. 

#5 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 21

Posted 11 December 2013 - 19:39

Around here it is price to speed, there really are no other performance bench marks.  I have verizon dsl at about half the speed of comcast, while it is half the cost of comcast it also is half the speed.  Those are the only two choices I have, well there is sat service but I wouldn't go that route with having the other two available and I would go air card before that.  So it really comes down to price to speed for me.  There are sites out there that rate isps, I believe speedtest.net rates them if you can get the same service at the same price from multiple companies.

#6 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 11 December 2013 - 22:58

all the things you listed you shouldn't be taking their word for anyway. try it out for a month and make your own measurements.

the list of things i would find out about, some you may be able to get by yourself off their website:

- is it a symmetrical connection? if not, what's the up/down rated speed?

- do they traffic shape in any way?

- are there any restrictions on usage? (a lot of people prohibit hosting "servers", for example, or have FUPs)

- do you need to sign a contract?

- what's the process for terminating the subscription?

- do you rent or own the equipment?

- how does repair work? what is whose responsibility?

- do they charge you additional for anything?

- read their TOS carefully

#7 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:21

Oh, forgot one thing: what's the data cap and how do they handle overages?

#8 OP capr

capr

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 December 2013 - 18:58

thanks primexx. those are all good questions. I am putting a case study together and am trying to find the extremes of what people care about. 

#9 MillionVoltss

MillionVoltss

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 December 2013 - 19:09

Reliability is the also important, will it always be the connection speed that you've paid for.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!