I'm kind of on the fence about what I think of this article.  Something tells me this is monkey-see-monkey-do, you see in the media all the time of people giving each other kisses on the hands, and it's usually not portrayed in a negative way.  A 6 year old just copies what he sees.  He had to have learned this behaviour from somewhere, right?  Surely he needs to be told it's not appropriate to just kiss girls' hands at school, but a record for it seems a little far.  That suspension doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things except a day off for him.

So who asked the girl?

I mean... Sexual harrasment can't be that if it's consensual.

Also, do they take the sexual maturity of a six year old into account here?

These stories are so weird.

Awesome, so the kid is written off before he's even had a chance to understand the concept he is being branded with. I mean, maybe we should keep an eye out for the kids playing soldiers because clearly they have a desire to kill.

In fact lets just lock up all kids and stop them using their imagination because god knows where it could lead them in the future. I litereally cannot get over how angry any of this makes me, kids are kids. They don't play games or do things because deep down they are serial rapists murderers etc, they are playing games!

He's not being written off. He's being corrected.

How bout we just teach him to keep his hands to himself?

I'm kind of on the fence about what I think of this article. Something tells me this is monkey-see-monkey-do, you see in the media all the time of people giving each other kisses on the hands, and it's usually not portrayed in a negative way. A 6 year old just copies what he sees. He had to have learned this behaviour from somewhere, right? Surely he needs to be told it's not appropriate to just kiss girls' hands at school, but a record for it seems a little far. That suspension doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things except a day off for him.

A sensible response. I don't think he should have a record either. But I think the behavior should be recorded for some amount of time, and cleared if he does not continue such behavior. Roughhousing, kissing girls regardless of where, without their consent ... abnormal. To me, these are signs of something possibly wrong with this kid. It could be nothing, documenting it isn't going to hurt.

It's seems apparent that the little girl told which means it was unwelcome since both parents weren't called in and both kids weren't disciplined. You simply don't have the right to experiment, touch, or play doctor, or anything else with someone else's kid. That's not what they're in school for.

The only issue here as I see it, is whether or not the kid should have a permanent record, and he shouldn't if this is the end of it. But the school acted responsibly. Any adult that thinks it's ok to touch another's child against their will, well that's what the 2nd amendment is for ...

when i was 6 i slapped my teachers butt & she smiled at me (perry elementary school) :)

but later in life i got kicked out of a few schools. i'm not proud of it or denie it

but this kid kissed a girls hand & got suspended what a joke

He's not being written off. He's being corrected.

How bout we just teach him to keep his hands to himself?

Corrected? He's a kid who doesn't even understand the concept he is being labelled with. What happened to kissing a person on the hand being an act of politeness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand-kissing

I was seven when I kissed a girl on the lips for the first time. She was the love of my childhood. We grew up together and remain like siblings to this day.

"To love all ages are submissive" - A. Pushkin.

p.s. that kiss was consensual; I had asked her for the permission before I did it.

I'm wondering if there would be the same outcry if it was a six year old girl kissing a six year old boy ?

If he was uncomfortable with the gesture would her name be splashed all over the media and the internet and would she be suspended from school ?

Or would the usual "guys and girls are different" response and no more said about it ?

Would the boy be told to "man up" ?

In many parts of the world a child's hand kiss is a greeting to elders, or with older folks the chivalrous greeting a male gives a female.

I've seen it in my own native area (many central Europeans, Russians and Scandinavians) and in the US South. For all we know this little guy has seen it in those contexts, or on TV, and now he's getting hammered.

Stupid.

I'm wondering if there would be the same outcry if it was a six year old girl kissing a six year old boy ?

If he was uncomfortable with the gesture would her name be splashed all over the media and the internet and would she be suspended from school ?

Or would the usual "guys and girls are different" response and no more said about it ?
Would the boy be told to "man up" ?

Interesting question. I wonder if those who think it's OK to kiss another parents daughter, would feel the same about some boy kissing their son.

For all we know, he could be exposes to improper behavior at home. I haven't heard anything about a father, so stepfather's and boyfriend's do strange things with step kids. That's why if it's unwelcome, you report it, and you correct it.

The only issue here is publicizing it and the severity of classifying him as a sex offender.

In many parts of the world a child's hand kiss is a greeting to elders, or with older folks the chivalrous greeting a male gives a female.

I've seen it in my own native area (many central Europeans, Russians and Scandinavians) and in the US South. For all we know this little guy has seen it in those contexts, or on TV, and now he's getting hammered.

Stupid.

You're right. However, for all we know he's being molested. The roughhousing and kissing of little girls could be him acting that out. We don't know. That's why abnormal behavior should be addressed by responsible adults.

In either case, your kid does not have the right to exercise his issues, or chivalry on someone else's child.

I was seven when I kissed a girl on the lips for the first time. She was the love of my childhood. We grew up together and remain like siblings to this day.

"To love all ages are submissive" - A. Pushkin.

p.s. that kiss was consensual; I had asked her for the permission before I did it.

That is absolutely critical. Grow up touching people without their consent, and you'll end up as an adult being touched without consent by a dude name Bubba after he makes you make his bunk.

They're six. :| :huh:

So are all the six year old's who don't touch others. And it says the little girl wanted the behavior to stop. So it's not a they situation, it's a him. He needs to understand personal space and boundaries. Six year old commit heinous acts, usually because something has been done to them. Why not address questionable behavior, and why not raise your six year old properly?

The sex offender status is debatable. Disciplining the behavior and asking the parent to correct it, is not IMO.

Do you know that 35% of sex crimes against minors are committed by juveniles? I'm not saying that's what this was, what I'm saying is you can't ignore it, nor should the parents, definitely not the school. All the other kids aren't having a problem. Correct this one, while it is a non-serious issue.

Interesting question. I wonder if those who think it's OK to kiss another parents daughter, would feel the same about some boy kissing their son.

For all we know, he could be exposes to improper behavior at home. I haven't heard anything about a father, so stepfather's and boyfriend's do strange things with step kids. That's why if it's unwelcome, you report it, and you correct it.

The only issue here is publicizing it and the severity of classifying him as a sex offender.

You're right. However, for all we know he's being molested. The roughhousing and kissing of little girls could be him acting that out. We don't know. That's why abnormal behavior should be addressed by responsible adults.

In either case, your kid does not have the right to exercise his issues, or chivalry on someone else's child.

That is absolutely critical. Grow up touching people without their consent, and you'll end up as an adult being touched without consent by a dude name Bubba after he makes you make his bunk.

So are all the six year old's who don't touch others. And it says the little girl wanted the behavior to stop. So it's not a they situation, it's a him. He needs to understand personal space and boundaries. Six year old commit heinous acts, usually because something has been done to them. Why not address questionable behavior, and why not raise your six year old properly?

The sex offender status is debatable. Disciplining the behavior and asking the parent to correct it, is not IMO.

Do you know that 35% of sex crimes against minors are committed by juveniles? I'm not saying that's what this was, what I'm saying is you can't ignore it, nor should the parents, definitely not the school. All the other kids aren't having a problem. Correct this one, while it is a non-serious issue.

Right. Let's hyperbole this all they way to sex offender's list.

Your paranoid attitude, is exactly why we are in this PC ######. I think you should also agree that girls should cover their body from their neck down. Quick, hide under a rock!

When I was six I kissed a girl in school; she hit me in return. The teacher yelled at us to "cut it out!"

Nowadays we would probably have been arrested, sent to counseling, and been a breaking news story on all major cable news networks.

Madness...

The school my mum works in has the children change the words in the nursery rhyme "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep". Black has to be replaced with rainbow so the rhyme doesn't get mistook as been racist... pretty sad the world has come to this.

Does it make the sheep gay?

Sometimes I wonder if these people remember what it was like to be 6 years old. Like others here, when I was younger (probably about the age of the boy in the article, maybe a year or two older) there was a girl that I liked in my class and I would kiss her all the time on the forehead/cheek. Thinking back I didn't even know why I was doing it, I had seen adults kiss one another as a sign of affection and I wanted to show my affection similarly. However, at such a young age it was entirely innocent. I didn't even know that the little guy downstairs was for anything other than peeing.

Here's the point: Ok yes, the boy should be taken to the side and told that if someone doesn't like something then he shouldn't do it. The overreaction of the school was silly though, branding it as sexual harassment.

School caves, girls mother (teacher at the school...hmmmm) supported the school.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/12/us/six-year-old-kissing-girl-suspension/index.html

Jade Masters-Ownbey, the mother of the girl Hunter is accused of kissing, told the local newspaper that the school district was right in protecting her daughter.

The mother, who is also a teacher in the school district, said Hunter had tried to kiss her daughter "over and over" without her permission, according to Canon City Daily Record.

"I've had to coach her about what to do when you don't want someone touching you, but they won't stop," Masters-Ownbey told the newspaper

Gooldy, the superintendent of Canon City Schools, told HLN on Tuesday that students aren't labeled sexual harassers after the first innocent grade-school kiss. But if unwelcome contact or touching continues, it will be noted in the student's file, he said.

looks like we have a sexual predator in training on our hands. never judge by hearing only one side of the story.

Sometimes I wonder if these people remember what it was like to be 6 years old. Like others here, when I was younger (probably about the age of the boy in the article, maybe a year or two older) there was a girl that I liked in my class and I would kiss her all the time on the forehead/cheek. Thinking back I didn't even know why I was doing it, I had seen adults kiss one another as a sign of affection and I wanted to show my affection similarly. However, at such a young age it was entirely innocent. I didn't even know that the little guy downstairs was for anything other than peeing.

Here's the point: Ok yes, the boy should be taken to the side and told that if someone doesn't like something then he shouldn't do it. The overreaction of the school was silly though, branding it as sexual harassment.

First paragraph, American age of consent is 16-18 with I think the average being 16. Isn't it as low as 14 in many European countries? It may be cultural.

Second Paragraph, agreed. Not sure who got the media involved. I don't have a problem with it being labeled as sexual harassment, but there's no reason anyone had to know other than the parents.

The kid just needs parenting. I'm guessing it's innocent though his discipline for horseplay would make me think this kids needs "something." I mean, how does a 6-year old end up disciplined for horseplay? He clearly needs to learn about boundaries.

As for the girls mother working for the school, that's probably why this parent has clearly educated her daughter on what to do if someone touches you inappropriately. Tell! Many kids don't. Good for her.

When I was six I kissed a girl in school; she hit me in return. The teacher yelled at us to "cut it out!"

Nowadays we would probably have been arrested, sent to counseling, and been a breaking news story on all major cable news networks.

What do you think has changed since you were six? Just curious ...

Right. Let's hyperbole this all they way to sex offender's list.

Your paranoid attitude, is exactly why we are in this PC ######. I think you should also agree that girls should cover their body from their neck down. Quick, hide under a rock!

Responding to hyperbole. It's never as pleasant when it's turn around on you.

There's no paranoia involved, a kid touched another kid he had no right to, that is fact. As for girls covering their body, that's their choice, and if they choose to have it uncovered, you still don't have the right, nor does your kid, to touch it. See, I'm not the one trying to control women you are the one making this about the control of women or girls. You're the one trying to control them by saying anyone should be allowed to touch them. You cannot and the six year old cannot. It has nothing to do with politics.

It is attitudes like yours, that lead to black and white laws protecting the rights of individuals, not just girls.

It is interesting how your mind made the leap from, he should be allowed to touch/kiss her, to well then if he can't why doesn't she just cover her whole body. Very telling. And this is why you don't let strangers touch your little girls.

looks like we have a sexual predator in training on our hands. never judge by hearing only one side of the story.

You just have a kid that needs parenting and to learn about boundaries and respecting the person, personal space and right to privacy of others. But a pattern of this sort of behavior should absolutely be recorded in his record. And if this is indeed recurring behavior, his parents are unfit for, to this point, not addressing and correcting it.

Responding to hyperbole. It's never as pleasant when it's turn around on you.

There's no paranoia involved, a kid touched another kid he had no right to, that is fact. As for girls covering their body, that's their choice, and if they choose to have it uncovered, you still don't have the right, nor does your kid, to touch it. See, I'm not the one trying to control women you are the one making this about the control of women or girls. You're the one trying to control them by saying anyone should be allowed to touch them. You cannot and the six year old cannot. It has nothing to do with politics.

It is attitudes like yours, that lead to black and white laws protecting the rights of individuals, not just girls.

It is interesting how your mind made the leap from, he should be allowed to touch/kiss her, to well then if he can't why doesn't she just cover her whole body. Very telling. And this is why you don't let strangers touch your little girls.

Why should I feel unpleasant when it's turn around on me? I am a guy and I have the right to let people kiss my hand if they are willing to. I also tend to agree that women possess the same right.

As for the rest of your post, way to go for reflecting on yourself. All I have said were hyperbole and paranoia, but you, elaborated to controlling women, etc. The reason you came to that is because YOU like to control women, and project it to others, in order to rationalize it. Of course, when hand-kissing is already so abhorrent, what will you do when people do this.

By the way, your post is VERY politically correct. I will nominate it to NK leaders.

You just have a kid that needs parenting and to learn about boundaries and respecting the person, personal space and right to privacy of others. But a pattern of this sort of behavior should absolutely be recorded in his record. And if this is indeed recurring behavior, his parents are unfit for, to this point, not addressing and correcting it.

We all learn by our mistakes. Hopefully he will learn from this and not do it again. Let's not kid ourselves, as young boys we've all been there.