Back to the Start: imagining a better Windows

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#121 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 15 December 2013 - 22:02

I remember quite a substantial bit of vitriol being spewed when the Search bar and UAC were introduced with Vista. This is the sort of thing that we may expect to come about every four to five years as the OS inevitably changes. Thing is, XP hasn't stopped working, so folks who consider Search and UAC to be deal-breakers are still able to use it. Seven isn't broken either, and obviously many people to whom aspects of 8 are deal-breakers continue to use 7. That's perfectly fine.

True - in fact, I have pointed that out, time and time again.

All I have been trying to do is point out that the generalizations I've been hearing from the anti-ModernUI side are not general at all - I couldn't do what I do every day if they were.  If you can't, fine - say so; I'm not going to hate you for that.  However, don't project subjective experiences as objective, especially when the data set is one user.  While there are quite a few users - maybe a LOT of users - that have trouble with, or simply can't, use ModernUI on traditional hardware - have you even considered it may NOT be the fault of the UI?  There ARE folks that are not merely change-resistant, but actually change-averse, if not outright change-hostile. (We've ALL seen them - and in every aspect of life.)  ModernUI is a massive sea-change - and it doesn't make it any easier that it's throughout Windows.  However, given those same new form-factors (which are necessary, as even the anti-Modern crowd admits), and previous failures at niche-specific Windows, therein lies the problem - supporting new hardware where the traditional UX doesn't fit while maintaining consistency.

#122 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 16 December 2013 - 16:16

Since setting up a customers new Windows 8 machine, he has called me TEN TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FML!!!!!!

#123 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 December 2013 - 21:23

Since setting up a customers new Windows 8 machine, he has called me TEN TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FML!!!!!!

Again, warwagon , I never said that the change is for everyone - not ever.  All I have said is that insisting that the change is for nobody is arrogant and the height of hubris.

It would, in fact, be just as absolutist as insisting that the change is for everybody to insist that the change is for nobody.

#124 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:45

Apparently he should have waited until 8.2 when we get our start menu back and a Window 7 like experience.

#125 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 December 2013 - 18:48

Apparently he should have waited until 8.2 when we get our start menu back and a Window 7 like experience.

Apparently, Growled.

With that line of thinking, I have no problem with - in fact, I never have had a problem with that.  In fact, even Microsoft has no problem with that - won't Windows 7 be supported for several more years yet?

#126 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 December 2013 - 17:26

- won't Windows 7 be supported for several more years yet?

I think until 2015. I stay on Windows 7 because I like it better. It's not like you are being forced to update. Everything still works fine on Windows 7.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!