Photo

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,290 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:30

Time to go back to Hotmail or even better, pay for hosted exchange.

Google and its nosy tech Nazi approach of "I know what's best for you"

So I'm guessing you don't know what this is.

#17 hyde+

hyde+

High Definition

• 490 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 14:29

So I'm guessing you don't know what this is.

I don't know what this is, either.

#18 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

• 3,013 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 14:36

On the face of it this sounds really good, but I think it will only affect legitimate email campaigns in the long run. Spammers will be unaffected at best and, depending on how it works, could even use it to identify registered Gmail addresses en-masse.

The cynic in me wonders how long it is before Google start selling "email analytics" to those who run email campaigns.

#19 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

• 3,721 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 14:38

only works if they open all the images sent to non-existent addresses too

They wouldn't have to open all of them, just some of them at random.

#20 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,823 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 14:40

Time to go back to Hotmail or even better, pay for hosted exchange.

Google and its nosy tech Nazi approach of "I know what's best for you"

Yea, to bad you cannot disable this option....no, wait.....

#21 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,444 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 14:43

Google's proxy servers request the image each time you open a message which means that spammers will know that your email address is active if they embed unique images in emails. 

From Google's support page:

...senders may be able to know whether an individual has opened a message with unique image links.

If anything, this will lead to more spam.

#22 OP ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 4,863 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 14:51

Only if you actually read your spam, though.

#23 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,823 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 17:32

Google is great about blocking spam.  I never get any spam in my INBOX and it all goes to the spam folder....so I never see it.  Cannot say that for Yahoo email and I dont really use my Outlook account ATM.

#24 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• 12,717 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:47

On the face of it this sounds really good, but I think it will only affect legitimate email campaigns in the long run. Spammers will be unaffected at best and, depending on how it works, could even use it to identify registered Gmail addresses en-masse.

The cynic in me wonders how long it is before Google start selling "email analytics" to those who run email campaigns.

what? how?

They wouldn't have to open all of them, just some of them at random.

that's true, although the exact percentage of opened vs. unopened would have to be worked out so it's a non-negligible amount compared to legitimately opened mail. I suspect that would still account for quite a large volume of traffic.

Google's proxy servers request the image each time you open a message which means that spammers will know that your email address is active if they embed unique images in emails. 

From Google's support page:

i guess that means they don't open anything sent to nonexistent addresses.

#25 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

• 19,290 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:48

From what people are seeing, Google downloads the images when they receive the email (Maybe for non-existent addresses? not sure), and for some users they re-download the images every time the email is opened (Which makes the whole thing useless)

The one upside is that the marketers don't see the source IP/UA info, but they can still detect valid/invalid accounts, and when a user opens the mail.

#26 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

• 3,013 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:36

what? how?

You could send an email with an image that is uniquely named per email address. If Google loads it, the address exists and if it doesn't then the address doesn't exist. It depends on when/how Google loads the image. If they just load all images regardless of the account existing, then it wouldn't work. If they load images for accounts that exist only, then it would work brilliantly. If it only loads when they are viewed then it also works but not as well (depends on the owner of the address opening the email).

I'm not sure what the big deal about marketers knowing the IP/UA is to be honest. It's revealed when the user went to the site to perform whatever action they performed that got them on the marketing list in the first place. It is hardly sensitive information.

#27 OP ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 4,863 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:55

I'm not sure what the big deal about marketers knowing the IP/UA is to be honest. It's revealed when the user went to the site to perform whatever action they performed that got them on the marketing list in the first place. It is hardly sensitive information.

Spammers can use geolocation to customize mails and try passing them as more "legit".

Also you are providing info about what devices you own through the user string, which could be used both for more spam or targeted exploits.

It's not really sensitive, but there's no reason why they should get to know all that just because I watch (or not, if they use 1x1 px) some images delivered to my email address.

Then again rather than allowing all images I'd prefer a combination of the current system with whitelists and loading from the proxy cache for the images you select to be shown (which I'd guess you'd be getting if you opt out of this feature).

#28 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

• 19,290 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:10

Yeah, it's nothing sensitive (it's broadcast anyway), but a advertiser knowing you're in a certain city with a certain device allows them to give you more targeted ads (Like I'm now seeing a bunch of scam ads for Android virus scanners recently, or pop-up ads that throw me to the play store)

Another thing they could use is the device IPv6 address (if it has one), I'm seeing my Android tablet and phone fairly often fail to create privacy addresses, meaning any site that does IPv6 not only knows where I live, but exactly what type of device I'm using (Because by default, the IPv6 address uses the MAC address of the adapter, giving away manufacturer info)

Edit: Remember that for an advertiser, any bit of unique info allows for tracking, even something as simple as an IP/UA mix would allow for pretty good matching.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!