Xbox One fastest selling console in U.S in November

xbox one xbox 360 microsoft console sales

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#16 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 12 December 2013 - 23:51

How can the X1 be the fastest selling console in November the US and then the ps4 be the top selling console in November?

Someone is lying or I can't grasp the math involved :laugh:

That link above would seem to say that the ps4 outsold the X1 for November, which clearly would mean its also the fastest selling console as well.

Apparently if you do some "complicated" maths due to the Xbox One only being out for 9 days, it can be fastest, but still have sold less. It goes by day by day average. Obviously the further you go time wise the more you come up against stock issues/shortages, so the less you sell on average. You can't be selling 800k consoles every 24 hours.

#17 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 12 December 2013 - 23:54

If MS had sold the most they'd of said best selling console, not fastest. It's PR spin.

I think I get it.

So this is how MS can say that and be true:

The X1 sold 900k+ consoles in 9 days while the ps4 sold say 1.1million in 15 days.

So in that case, the ps4 sold the most in November, but the X1 sold at a faster rate than the ps4 in November.

That makes more sense.

#18 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 12 December 2013 - 23:55

It's been said, nothing complicated here, the PS4 was on the market longer so it sold more but the Xbox One sold faster for the fewer days it was on the market in November.  Who's to say what the numbers would be if the Xbox One was out for as long?  Either way what MS posted isn't wrong or a lie, just calm down and read it carefully.

#19 OP vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 12 December 2013 - 23:57

Apparently if you do some "complicated" maths due to the Xbox One only being out for 9 days, it can be fastest, but still have sold less. It goes by day by day average. Obviously the further you go time wise the more you come up against stock issues/shortages, so the less you sell on average. You can't be selling 800k consoles every 24 hours.

look at the context of the sentence

November NPD Group figures released today revealed 909,132 Xbox One units were sold in the U.S. in the console’s first nine days, making it the fastest selling console on the market in the U.S.

fastest isn't in relation to the daily figures,but the total figures.

#20 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 December 2013 - 23:58

Yeah, its not big deal. I'm just eager to see the numbers break down for November, especially to see how the WiiU and previous gen consoles did.

The X1 and ps4 seem to be neck and neck, actually closer than I thought it would be simply due to Sony being on the market longer. December will be a very interesting spread. I would say its likely to stay close.

#21 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 December 2013 - 00:00

fastest isn't in relation to the daily figures,but the total figures.

That just means the X1 hit 900K faster than the ps4 did, again, a faster pace.

Still, the ps4 had more units sold for November.

#22 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 13 December 2013 - 00:03

Yeah, its not big deal. I'm just eager to see the numbers break down for November, especially to see how the WiiU and previous gen consoles did.

The X1 and ps4 seem to be neck and neck, actually closer than I thought it would be simply due to Sony being on the market longer. December will be a very interesting spread. I would say its likely to stay close.

I think this whole next generation will stay close yet again unless MS either drops the ball with exclusive games in which case the ps4 pulls ahead or they cut deals with cable providers and the xb1 is sold as a second set top box option subsidized for less, in which case it'll storm ahead. Only time will tell really.

#23 incendy

incendy

Neowinian

Posted 13 December 2013 - 00:03

Pretty impressive numbers, I am really enjoying mine. I think it will do really well, everyone that I have shown it to has either bought one or went in a quest to do so.

#24 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 December 2013 - 00:06

So is someone going to create a general NPD thread or will this be the one to follow for when all of the numbers are released?

#25 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 13 December 2013 - 00:07

Wow

#26 OP vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 13 December 2013 - 00:11

ok so my theory is wrong, some clarification(fastest selling is for weekly basis)

He added that PS4 “led U.S. hardware sales for the month, and marked the highest first month sales of a hardware platform on record.”

He clarified that PS4 had an additional week versus Xbox One, noting that “when looking at sales on an average per-week basis, Xbox One led PS4. Keep in mind, however, that supply typically becomes constrained in the second week after launch.” He added that Xbox One was the “second highest selling platform for the month, which marked the largest launch for a Microsoft console.”

http://ca.ign.com/ar...unch-in-history

#27 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 13 December 2013 - 00:16

I think this whole next generation will stay close yet again unless MS either drops the ball with exclusive games in which case the ps4 pulls ahead or they cut deals with cable providers and the xb1 is sold as a second set top box option subsidized for less, in which case it'll storm ahead. Only time will tell really.

The ps4 will most likely be the leader between the two. For the simple fact that, as microsoft has shown for two generations now, they are incapable of not failing miserably in japan.

#28 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 December 2013 - 00:22

The ps4 will most likely be the leader between the two. For the simple fact that, as microsoft has shown for two generations now, they are incapable of not failing miserably in japan.

That's definitely possible.

The only way that doesn't happen is if the US market goes in favor of the X1 in such a way that it compensates for Japan.

Of course, we also don't know how popular next gen consoles will be anyway, considering Japan's move toward mobile/handheld gaming the last several years.

#29 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 13 December 2013 - 00:32

Wii U 220k

i5bkoO2eLB0tS.gif

#30 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 13 December 2013 - 00:33

Japanese just aren't interested in American consoles. I don't see any games for Xbox One that would appeal to that audience.

I remember when Japanese games used to matter in the US, but it seems like they all fell off a cliff about 10 years ago.