Desktop-Based Web Streaming Of Google Play Content For Chromecast

Google Chromecast owners can now stream Google Play music and movie content direct from the web, as well as from smartphones and tablets, thanks to the Google Cast extension for the Chrome desktop browser. Oddly, Google?s own media store isn?t the first to do this, as Netflix on the web can play nice with the Chromecast extension, as can YouTube. But Play media access means Google?s $35 wonder device is everything the Nexus Q was not, and a device only limited by software and time.

When the Chromecast first launched, it was sort of like a knock-off designer handbag: Not the thing you really want, but close enough and so cheap it didn?t matter. Slowly but surely, however, Google has been improving its streaming dongle to the point where it?s quickly becoming a true competitor for Apple?s AirPlay and Apple TV devices, which is a much-needed ingredient currently missing from Google?s ecosystem.

Web-based streaming is also something that AirPlay can handle, thanks to the ability to connect an AirPlay display in the latest version of OS X. Chromecast also still can?t mirror a display entirely, which is something AirPlay can handle that?s incredibly useful for presenters, educators and many others. AirPlay has also been used by many developers as a way to program experiences designed to take advantage of using both a small and a big screen at one time, which is likewise something Google hasn?t really implemented with Chromecast just yet.

Earlier this week, Google added a good list of new content partners to Chromecast?s stable of supported software, and each drove up the value of owning one considerably in my opinion. In the same way that Apple keeps improving the Apple TV via content partnerships and service improvements, Google keeps doing the same with Chromecast, but the short-term potential here is even greater, I think, at least in terms of immediate impact for a huge group of Chrome and Android users.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/13/google-turns-on-desktop-based-web-streaming-of-google-play-content-for-chromecast/

They are really shifting for this, is this what they will integrate into chromecast, is this a early beta release for it?

They are really shifting for this, is this what they will integrate into chromecast, is this a early beta release for it?

Chromecast is not in beta.  If anything, it is still in developement stage.  When CC was released, there were not many apps that supported it.  Slowly the list is growing.  I dont think any apps will be integrated in to CC, rather the app has itself has to support it separately.

With Plex streaming the Chromecast just became the best $35 you could spend on a home theater setup. I wouldn't quite say Chromecast is in beta or development really. The product is complete and works great. There just isn't a lot that supports it yet. The concept may still be in development, but most new products always are. At first when they only had Netflix, Youtube and a couple other ways to stream, you might consider if it was worth it, but now that the list grows, it becomes less and less of a question. I'm going to replace my Macbook hooked up to my bedroom TV with a Chromecast now that Plex is supported (well, maybe in a week or two after they clean up a few bugs in the app).

Chromecast is not in beta.  If anything, it is still in developement stage.  When CC was released, there were not many apps that supported it.  Slowly the list is growing.  I dont think any apps will be integrated in to CC, rather the app has itself has to support it separately.

What I meant was, are they going to use CC as a stepping stone to this?? It was a paraphrased pun!

My questions is how fast/smooth is it on Chromecast? I've got a high end Samsung BDP and it has Plex, however, the interface is extremely laggy and slow. When I use my laptop with Plex MC on it, it's smooth, fast, and to me much better looking (along with options you don't see in the Samsung Plex App)

With Plex streaming the Chromecast just became the best $35 you could spend on a home theater setup. I wouldn't quite say Chromecast is in beta or development really. The product is complete and works great. There just isn't a lot that supports it yet. The concept may still be in development, but most new products always are. At first when they only had Netflix, Youtube and a couple other ways to stream, you might consider if it was worth it, but now that the list grows, it becomes less and less of a question. I'm going to replace my Macbook hooked up to my bedroom TV with a Chromecast now that Plex is supported (well, maybe in a week or two after they clean up a few bugs in the app).

My questions is how fast/smooth is it on Chromecast? I've got a high end Samsung BDP and it has Plex, however, the interface is extremely laggy and slow. When I use my laptop with Plex MC on it, it's smooth, fast, and to me much better looking (along with options you don't see in the Samsung Plex App)

It's actually very fast and smooth. You click cast and the CC jumps straight into the app and starts negotiating a link to stream. Usually doesn't take more than 5 or 10 seconds or so. It also has HDMI controls so you can click cast and it'll turn on your TV and tune it to the right input and everything. There's not really any UI to lag because it's only a receiver. The UI for Plex, for example, would just be Plex on your phone.

It's actually very fast and smooth. You click cast and the CC jumps straight into the app and starts negotiating a link to stream. Usually doesn't take more than 5 or 10 seconds or so. It also has HDMI controls so you can click cast and it'll turn on your TV and tune it to the right input and everything. There's not really any UI to lag because it's only a receiver. The UI for Plex, for example, would just be Plex on your phone.

Unfortunately my receiver is I/O center so it would have to be plugged in here and my experience with HDMI's CEC+ and all of that junk has never been successful (and god forbid you mix brands). I guess for the moment I'll stick with my server + HTPC setup as it's doubling as a gaming setup as well. 

Unfortunately my receiver is I/O center so it would have to be plugged in here and my experience with HDMI's CEC+ and all of that junk has never been successful (and god forbid you mix brands). I guess for the moment I'll stick with my server + HTPC setup as it's doubling as a gaming setup as well. 

Ahh yes, the receiver could cause a little confusion, but I still don't think it would change anything. Worst case CEC doesn't work like you say, and you change the input yourself. This is the first device I've even ever tried to use CEC with, so I've been pleasantly impressed, but I don't have a traditional entertainment setup to complicate things.

The main reason I was looking at this was for a client install too to use him as the test but he has all the same setup as me (receiver, etc)

Oh well, I'll probably still buy just to toy around with.