Shooting reported at Colorado High School

Quote from CNN's official Facebook page

CNN

BREAKING NEWS: There has been a shooting at Arapahoe High School in Centennial, Colorado, the local sheriff tells CNN affiliate KMGH.

More info here

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/13/us/colorado-school-shooting/index.html?sr=fb121313coloradoshooting330p

I don't live too far away from the high school, it's about a 30 minutes drive from where I am...

I hope there aren't any fatalities god forbid :(

The shooter has died from self-inflicted wound according Sheriff Grayson Robinson, according to CNN via TV

Lately it seems there have been a lot of reports of suicide.  Also, a friend of mine blew his brains out about a month ago over a girl.  I always wonder what was going through their mind the last 5 minutes.  I think it would be interesting to "hear" their thoughts before they do the deed.

As for the friend of mine, apparently their recent newborn was starting to look a little hispanic (neither him nor the mom were hispanic) and she was a piece of trash to begin with.  But he walked up to her, and apparently said, "this is what you made me do" then put a gun against his temple and pulled the trigger.  I recently sold him my ThinkPad and I emailed him a week prior asking him how the laptop was treating him and how he was doing.  He said "Actually, I am in the lowest point of my life right now, call me."  It was @ 6:00am and I was getting ready for work, so I told him I would call him later in the day.  I called around 10:00 and got his VM.  Never talked to him again.

Sorry for hijacking the thread - and taking this into another direction, and making it about me - but I havent talked to anyone about this and I guess I wanted someone to "hear" the story.

Lately it seems there have been a lot of reports of suicide.  Also, a friend of mine blew his brains out about a month ago over a girl.  I always wonder what was going through their mind the last 5 minutes.  I think it would be interesting to "hear" their thoughts before they do the deed.

As for the friend of mine, apparently their recent newborn was starting to look a little hispanic (neither him nor the mom were hispanic) and she was a piece of trash to begin with.  But he walked up to her, and apparently said, "this is what you made me do" then put a gun against his temple and pulled the trigger.  I recently sold him my ThinkPad and I emailed him a week prior asking him how the laptop was treating him and how he was doing.  He said "Actually, I am in the lowest point of my life right now, call me."  It was @ 6:00am and I was getting ready for work, so I told him I would call him later in the day.  I called around 10:00 and got his VM.  Never talked to him again.

Sorry for hijacking the thread - and taking this into another direction, and making it about me - but I havent talked to anyone about this and I guess I wanted someone to "hear" the story.

if you need to talk, most of us here will hear you out, as it is good to get it off your chest, make a topic in member's metro :)

I'll read (listen)

• Like 2

Sad, sad news. :(

It is really sad news, but unfortunately it doesn't come has a huge surprise. Where did the kid get the gun??

It is really sad news, but unfortunately it doesn't come has a huge surprise. Where did the kid get the gun??

The news I saw said it was a shotgun.  In a lot of states I believe you can buy long-guns at 18, so he may have actually bought it himself.  Handguns are restricted until you're 21, but I believe you can buy rifles and shotguns at 18 in most places.

Given that the shooter was dressed in tactical gear, molotov cocktails, and a bandolier with plenty of ammo, he had intended to do some serious damage.  Very fortunate that an off duty deputy was working the school, armed, as a resource officer.  His quick response ended the assault in 80 seconds vs. the 14 minutes it took police to arrive.

Colorado's school shooting -- over in 80 seconds

The rampage might have resulted in many more casualties had it not been for the quick response of a deputy sheriff who was working as a school resource officer at the school, Sheriff Robinson said.

Once he learned of the threat, he ran ? accompanied by an unarmed school security officer and two administrators ? from the cafeteria to the library, Robinson said. ?It?s a fairly long hallway, but the deputy sheriff got there very quickly.?

The deputy was yelling for people to get down and identified himself as a county deputy sheriff, Robinson said. ?We know for a fact that the shooter knew that the deputy was in the immediate area and, while the deputy was containing the shooter, the shooter took his own life.?

He praised the deputy?s response as ?a critical element to the shooter?s decision? to kill himself, and lauded his response to hearing gunshots. ?He went to the thunder,? he said. ?He heard the noise of gunshot and, when many would run away from it, he ran toward it to make other people safe.?

Given that the shooter was dressed in tactical gear, molotov cocktails, and a bandolier with plenty of ammo, he had intended to do some serious damage. Very fortunate that an off duty deputy was working the school, armed, as a resource officer. His quick response ended the assault in 80 seconds vs. the 14 minutes it took police to arrive.

Another excellent case for armed guardIan's, guards or cops in schools. Many districts in our area have them, often an assigned officer, and it seems to work. The officers also serve as non-academic counselors to the kids, and this too works.

Another excellent case for armed guardIan's, guards or cops in schools. Many districts in our area have them, often an assigned officer, and it seems to work. The officers also serve as non-academic counselors to the kids, and this too works.

I agree. It's making more and more sense.

Only because he made the mistake of not taking care of the armed guard first. But you're right. Let's invest $4+ billion per year* in putting guns in school instead of teachers.

* Approx 100,000 public schools in the US, times $40,000 salary plus equipment and periodic training.

While I certainly do agree with this and believe it is a good policy as it is a nice deterrent, couldn't this possibly make these armed guardians the first target for a potential shooting?

The constant reporting of these shootings is tedious.  Clearly nobody in America is interested in doing anything about the problem so why harp on about it and pretend to care.

Because the underlying problem isn't as clear as people think it is. There are many factors that need to be looked at, but no one wants to take the time to do so. These events happen, and people just want immediate justice.

Only because he made the mistake of not taking care of the armed guard first. But you're right. Let's invest $4+ billion per year* in putting guns in school instead of teachers.

* Approx 100,000 public schools in the US, times $40,000 salary plus equipment and periodic training.

The *armed* resource officer at my high school alma mater often doubled as a DARE instructor. They're not just some schmoe sitting in the office eating a donut. These officers do more for the schools than people think.