http://store.steampo...eamos/download/

#2 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:27

http://repo.steampow.../SYSRESTORE.zip You need a Nvidia gfx card to install it

Looks like the download server is getting hammered

An error occurred while processing your request.

Reference #97.17ff3d17.1386984407.73ed5a2

#3 spy beef

spy beef

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:35

what is this?

#4 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:36

http://repo.steampow.../SYSRESTORE.zip You need a Nvidia gfx card to install it

Looks like the download server is getting hammered

Since it's based on Debian Wheezy, any VME (virtual machine environment) that supports Debian Wheezy should at least be able to run it (Oracle VB, vmWare, Hyper-V).  Also, it extracts to a USB stick (4 GB and larger) - I'm extracting to an 8 GB stick as I type this.

I know that there ARE nV GPU drivers for Wheezy - I would think the same would be true on the AMD side.  (It was certainly true before I migrated from AMD to nVidia - they pulled driver support for Wheezy within the past six months?  IMprobable.)

The real question is exactly what is the minimum partition this OS needs?

#5 kurupy

kurupy

Neowinian

• Phone: HTC One X (Slimbean 4.3)

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:38

Steam OS FAQ

http://steamcommunit...14395741989999/

#6 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:45

Torrent link if anyone wants avoid the overloaded http server

Q: How do I install SteamOS?
There are two different install methods for SteamOS. '''WARNING: BOTH METHODS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING ON THE MACHINE'''

The easiest method is an image-based install using CloneZilla. You will need to create a SteamOS System Restore USB stick to perform this install. The image provided here requires at least a 1TB disk.
  • Format a 4GB or larger USB stick with the FAT32 filesystem. Use "SYSRESTORE" as the partition name
  • Unzip the contents of SYSRESTORE.zip to this USB stick to create the System Restore USB stick
  • Put the System Restore USB stick in your target machine. Boot your machine and tell the BIOS to boot off the stick. (usually something like F8, F11 or F12 will bring up the BIOS boot menu).
  • Make sure you select the UEFI entry, it may look something like "UEFI: Patriot Memory PMAP"
  • Select "Restore Entire Disk" from the GRUB menu.
  • System Restore will proceed automatically. When it is complete it will reboot into your freshly re-imaged SteamOS
The second method is based on the Debian Installer. It requires multiple configuration steps:
  • Unzip the SteamOSInstaller.zip file to a blank, FAT32-formatted USB stick.
  • Put the USB stick in your target machine. Boot your machine and tell the BIOS to boot off the stick. (usually something like F8, F11, or F12 will bring up the BIOS boot menu).
  • Make sure you select the UEFI entry, it may look something like "UEFI: Patriot Memory PMAP"
  • Pick "Automated Install" from the next menu.
  • The rest of the installation is unattended and will repartition the drive and install SteamOS.
  • After installation is complete, log onto the resulting system (using the Gnome session) with the predefined "steam" account. The password is "steam". Run steam, accept the EULA, and let it bootstrap. Logoff the steam account
  • Log on with the "desktop" account. The password is "desktop"
  • From a terminal window, run ~/post_logon.sh. This will prompt for a password - enter "desktop". This script will perform the post-install customizations, delete itself, then reboot into the recovery partition capture utility.
  • Confirm "y" to continue and the recovery partition will be created. When it is finished, reboot into your freshly installed SteamOS

#7 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:51

I would give it half a year before flopping.

Edited by _Alexander, 14 December 2013 - 08:16.

#8 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:56

Come on Alexander give it a chance, this isn't Windows 8

#9 yowanvista

yowanvista

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: i9001-CM11-KitKat 4.4.4 - Kernel 3.4.96

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:01

Too bad it doesn't yet offer a fully fledged installer nor bios support.

#10 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:19

is it available on floppies?

#11 kaotic

kaotic

Neowinian

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:20

Come on Alexander give it a chance, this isn't Windows 8

It's worse.

#12 Sadelwo

Sadelwo

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 820

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:32

So it is a Debian based distro. All kinds of good can come from this. Once Valve gets its Intel and AMD drivers up that should be minimal work for Base Debian, Ubuntu, Elementry etc to get optimized support. Even if Steam OS isn't a hit with the masses, having Valve coerce other companies to invest in Linux will only benefit the consumer in the end. Regular driver updates and the Steam touch controller to be for  Linux as the Xbox 360 controller is for Windows. This will be exciting.

#13 Grinch

Grinch

Developer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:35

http://steamcommunit...14395803871238/ -- This may be useful for some to try without UEFI computers. I'll try it myself later on this evening.

#14 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:11

http://steamcommunit...14395803871238/ -- This may be useful for some to try without UEFI computers. I'll try it myself later on this evening.

Actually, I'm looking at the Debian/side-by-side method (using either Debian-unstable or, better yet, Debian-wheezy, as a strapper, and do a side-by-side in a VM).

I'm waiting to see if any brave soul tried a network install directly from the SteamOS repos - if doable, then any apropos Debian net-install method should work.  (I see no reason why it should NOT work, if the OS is itself standard Debian wheezy.)

#15 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:30

Well I'm looking forward to see what the OS looks like for the end user. Maybe someone can do a video walkthrough of what it will be like.