Photo

SteamOS offically released

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#16 Athernar

Athernar

?

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:37

So, comments from those that were adamant that SteamOS would be an entirely custom DE? :whistle:

#17 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:43

So, comments from those that were adamant that SteamOS would be an entirely custom DE? :whistle:

What's a DE?

#18 zman982

zman982

You can not harm me!

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:50

Just saw a quick walkthrough of SteamOS on Youtube.  It was more or less big picture mode with some extra options.  The video didn't show the desktop but I expect more videos over the next couple of days that will show that.

#19 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:50

Well it sounds like its just a custom version of Debian right?

What I want to see is what the system looks like for the end user. Does it just dump you into a desktop right now, or does it boot straight into Steam itself.

What's a DE?

Desktop environment

#20 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:55

Just saw a quick walkthrough of SteamOS on Youtube.  It was more or less big picture mode with some extra options.  The video didn't show the desktop but I expect more videos over the next couple of days that will show that.

Cool, thanks for sharing.

So its about what I expected. It boots you straight into the Steam UI and your experience is living in that.

I did see that option to allow access to the Linux desktop. I'm interested in seeing how that works and if that's just there for development reasons or if its just an option that will be in the final version.

#21 Athernar

Athernar

?

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:17

Well it sounds like its just a custom version of Debian right?

What I want to see is what the system looks like for the end user. Does it just dump you into a desktop right now, or does it boot straight into Steam itself.

It's as I said in previous threads, the OS loads into Big Picture as the primary UI, with GNOME in the background if you enable it in the settings. Check Phoronix, they have screenshots.

#22 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:23

How can i make this into a ISO to try on VM..

#23 Athernar

Athernar

?

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:27

How can i make this into a ISO to try on VM..

Running SteamOS in a VM defeats the point, if you just want to see what the UI is like you can just load Big Picture on your current Steam install.

#24 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:44

It's as I said in previous threads, the OS loads into Big Picture as the primary UI, with GNOME in the background if you enable it in the settings. Check Phoronix, they have screenshots.

Thanks, I'll check it out.  Since it was not enabled by default, maybe that means its mostly there for developers.

#25 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:46

Running SteamOS in a VM defeats the point, if you just want to see what the UI is like you can just load Big Picture on your current Steam install.

im keen to look and underline code. keen to seen what i can do with it. 

#26 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:49

So it is a Debian based distro. All kinds of good can come from this. Once Valve gets its Intel and AMD drivers up that should be minimal work for Base Debian, Ubuntu, Elementry etc to get optimized support. Even if Steam OS isn't a hit with the masses, having Valve coerce other companies to invest in Linux will only benefit the consumer in the end. Regular driver updates and the Steam touch controller to be for  Linux as the Xbox 360 controller is for Windows. This will be exciting.

AMD may decide to release updated official Linux video drivers for graphics cards other than their top of the line ones.  Been running open source drivers for years now on this desktop because the ATI Radeon HD 4200 on-board graphics card, while decent for all the gaming I do, isn't supported by ATI in the Linux version of their driver package.

#27 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:50

Not really - some of us don't have Steam in our Linux installs (and almost certainly not if we also run any version of Windows).

And there IS a way to install it into any VM software that supports UEFI or EFI - there's a post in the Steam Universe SteamOS topic (Steam Community) about doing so in VMware (I followed similar steps for Oracle Virtual Box, which also has an EFI/UEFI emulation mode, where it is installing as I type this) - I'll be posting the steps both here on Neowin and there when I have finished my run-throughs (to make sure that the same ISO works in any UEFI emulation - not just that of Oracle VB, which works a treat).  I may also try Hyper-V, if there is a UEFI option.

#28 Athernar

Athernar

?

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:56

Thanks, I'll check it out.  Since it was not enabled by default, maybe that means its mostly there for developers.

It's more idiot-proofing for the eventuality of when less competent users start using it. As I understand it, it's just a simple tickbox in the settings.

im keen to look and underline code. keen to seen what i can do with it. 

All the Steam stuff is still proprietary, beyond that it's just standard Debian 7.1 with some newer package releases / kernel version+patches for performance - which are all meaningless if you're running it in a VM.

Not really - some of us don't have Steam in our Linux installs (and almost certainly not if we also run any version of Windows).

Yes really. Grabbing the Steam package in your Linux distro of choice or installing it in Windows is far easier, currently more compatible, and gives you access to the same UI. (Big Picture)

#29 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:02

Yeah, if you already run Steam on your pc, this isn't anything new or amazing, just a different way of doing the same thing.

But its also cool for those of us that like to tinker or use Linux full time. 

#30 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:03

It's more idiot-proofing for the eventuality of when less competent users start using it. As I understand it, it's just a simple tickbox in the settings.

Oh I agree that its buried in the settings so that the general gamer/user doesn't somehow do something stupid :laugh:

It is just one check box, so anyone wanting it can get to it.  I wonder what happens when you check the box.  do you have to restart and it boots you to the desktop instead of Steam maybe?