SteamOS offically released

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#91 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 16 December 2013 - 16:02

Dual booting on a HTPC kinda defeats the purpose, but then dual booting never made sense to me, even when that was the only option back in the early 2000 and I dual booted some Linux distros while studying, I never ended up using them because I does was what I needed and it simply worked better in general and that made it pointless for me to reboot all the time to play around.

The dual-booting is a needful because not even all Steam games play on SteamOS - in my current collection (one of the smaller ones), fewer than a half-dozen games from over two dozen are SteamOS-ready.  (That has, in fact, been used in this very thread as a hammer to bash SteamOS.)

I'm not saying that the compatibility issue isn't a problem - it is, in fact, a rather large problem.  However, it can be solved.

The bigger problem is the audio support - it defaults to HDMI.  While HDMI support is mostly bog-standard (and that is true for nVidia GPUs as well as the not-supported-yet AMD GPUs), there are some odd ducks that don't.  That means they will be requiring support for onboard sound or sound cards - even of the PCI Express sort.  While even Debian wheezy supports (or can support) quite a few, SteamOS isn't quite up to Debian wheezy levels of audio support.  (While both Debian and SteamOS detect my Creative Recon3D as an Intel High Definition Audio device (that is proper - it's detected in Windows as the same thing by default) - it cannot configure it as the HDMI-only support designed into PulseAudio by default gets in the way - and I haven't seen how to fix that yet.

#92 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 16 December 2013 - 18:36

Then dual booting isn't necessary.

You can do everything you can do in SteamOS on your other OS and more and probably at better performance to, so why would you even waste the time to boot into SteamOS...

If you just want to test the OS, then use a WM, if you need to dual boot, then the OS simply isn't ready for use or testing that deeply.

#93 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 December 2013 - 21:50

Then dual booting isn't necessary.

You can do everything you can do in SteamOS on your other OS and more and probably at better performance to, so why would you even waste the time to boot into SteamOS...

If you just want to test the OS, then use a WM, if you need to dual boot, then the OS simply isn't ready for use or testing that deeply.

I have two VMs with SteamOS installed - however, it has issues in both compared to native installs that have nothing to do with performance.

I'm actually USED to this method of dual-boot - I did it with OS X on the same HDD that SteamOS is on.  I use the BIOS - not GRUB - as each OS is on a physically-separate drive. (Before Wubi and UNetBootin came along, I bare-metal-tested Linux distributions the same way.)

I'm actually looking at creating a third-VM in Hyper-V, now that i have an ISO that doesn't require UEFI.  (And I got the audio in desktop mode sorted - it's big-picture mode that I have issues with at present.)

I'm actually evaluating SteamOS no differently than I would any other Linux distribution - including Debian; still, I AM keeping Valve's focus on the ten-foot UX in mind, as opposed to looking at SteamOS as a desktop-focussed distribution.  Portal is my primary test game, as it is both Linux-ready and supports BPM; further, it's in my Steam library already.  I've not had a single performance issue with Portal in SteamOS - even compared to Steam on Windows.  The desktop side of SteamOS is as solid as any distribution of Debian wheezy, despite the tweakage Valve did - that says a LOT about Debian's stability.  (Point to Debian, and a half-point to Valve itself for choosing wheezy vs. Ubuntu.)

What stability issues I'm having with SteamOS are, in fact, entirely in Big-Picture Mode - it happens both in VMs, and in bare-metal.  (Because it happens in VMs and in bare-metal, I have zero idea whether it's OS-related of a hardware-configuration issue; while the bare-metal side is, naturally, closer to optimum than a VM, it's not as optimal as it should be - even I get that.)

#94 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

Posted 23 January 2014 - 00:42

What a piece of junk is SteamOS, I just try to install the new release for BIOS PC and is not able to create the username and password. After installation, it boots me directly to logon without account creation. I am ######.

#95 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:16

What a piece of junk is SteamOS, I just try to install the new release for BIOS PC and is not able to create the username and password. After installation, it boots me directly to logon without account creation. I am ****ed.

The accounts are created automatically. "steam" and "desktop". It's in the installation instructions. Or do you mean it didn't create those?

#96 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:37

does steam os support the game streaming yet (as in streaming from other computers in the house)

#97 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:44

I don't believe it does.

Personally, I don't see the point in using SteamOS at this point in time when I can just use Ubuntu, Mint or Debian Testing with Steam instead. However, as it matures I'll reevaluate my decision to avoid it and perhaps install it to a spare SSD for the sake of game streaming on my HTPC.

#98 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:46

^that's exactly what i was planning to do with it if streaming support was there as well

#99 Athernar

Athernar

?

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:55

It does support it, but you currently need to be in the Home Streaming beta.

#100 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:56

Ah, so you do. Thanks for the information!

#101 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:35

The accounts are created automatically. "steam" and "desktop". It's in the installation instructions. Or do you mean it didn't create those?

I didn't know that info, but i deleted it already from my hyper-v installation. I thought that the installation will have the Steam experience. The installation is just Debian with the name on top of SteamOS. It feel more like I am installing Debian OS than Steam OS. They need to improve and make it unique the installation process, it is too early for my taste to test this OS.

#102 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:28

What a piece of junk is SteamOS, I just try to install the new release for BIOS PC and is not able to create the username and password. After installation, it boots me directly to logon without account creation. I am ****ed.

if you already have a steam account  you login with that  i would assume