Thinking of switching to Android from iOS/Windows Phone

I'm an iOS and Windows Phone 8 user, and both of the devices I use are very nice... but I'm just bored with them. iOS' wall of apps gets boring, Microsoft's tiles are just as boring. There's nothing really wrong with either OS, but I feel android is just more exciting.

I have an S3 for work, and while I like the hardware, touchwiz is just horrible. I really like the Note 3, but again... touchwiz.

Is there a device I can get that has just a vanilla android install, with none of the crappy 3rd party interaces that works on Verizon? I'm also looking for a phone that would be able to stay current with the latest updates from Android. That's one of the biggest pitfalls I keep coming back to, upgrades. Everyone I ask has either had to root their phone or have the latest device if they want to stay current with upgrades.

The Nexus phones have vanilla Android. You can also try CyanogenMod (which is pretty close to vanilla Android) on your current Android phones, though be aware that installing it may void the warranty.

Sounds like you definitely want a Nexus 5. Alternatively, you can get the Play Edition Samsung Galaxy S4 or HTC One, both of which run vanilla Android also.

If you're slightly risk averse, you could also just get any phone and stick Cyanogenmod on it.

Both the phones you mentioned you could flash vanilla with something like Cyanogenmod Rom.. 

The latest pure Google phone is the Nexus 5 - You'll get the latest Android updates as soon as they're released basically.

Nexus 5 has a vanilla android install.

For other android phones it has different UI's like touch wiz and some bloatware. You need to root your phone to get vanilla android on these and/or remove the bloatware.

In regards to updates, it take some time for an android update release to equal an update for your phone because after google finish making the updated Android OS, phone manufacturers work on it to make a revision which works on their phone, then the carrier service needs to check it and possibly make their own adjustments also.

A good intro to Android based phones would be the Nexus 4 (or nexus 5 if you can afford more). It's likely you will like IOS better but occasionally people do like the customization strength of Android.  Both are great and each has its own advantages.  Try it out. If you don't like it, you can always go back.

added:

1) If you webcam at all, nothing can replace or come close to the quality of Facetime. You will be extremely disappointed with this in Andriod (skype or yahoo or anyother)

2) if you upload to youtube at all, you will also hate android for the extreme uncompressed upload file size. Again IOS is awesome in this regard.

3) if you send messages to other counties, iMessage also tops this category since here (US + Canada) imessage videos (up to max time limit,) counts as a text message to anywhere in the world. This could get pricey, since its considered data if you are sending to someone outside US and Canada.

Yes, Nexus 5 is not an option on Verizon. Closest thing without custom roms would be the moto x.

Although if you really want to not be bored, get an LG G2 and put CyanogenMod 11 on it ;)

How come? I thought it was unlocked to all networks? Do you not just set up the APN settings for verizon? In the UK any network can be on pretty much any phone as long as it's unlocked to all networks

How come? I thought it was unlocked to all networks? Do you not just set up the APN settings for verizon? In the UK any network can be on pretty much any phone as long as it's unlocked to all networks

The Nexus 5 does not support the Verizon CDMA or LTE bands. Although, it does technically support the frequency Verizon is using for it's VoLTE network. If one could actually get the phone activated on the network, they could theoretically use it as long as they were within the VoLTE band range. Keep in mind, they are still in the testing stage for VoLTE and plan to begin rolling it out next year.

The Nexus 5 does not support the Verizon CDMA or LTE bands. Although, it does technically support the frequency Verizon is using for it's VoLTE network. If one could actually get the phone activated on the network, they could theoretically use it as long as they were within the VoLTE band range. Keep in mind, they are still in the testing stage for VoLTE and plan to begin rolling it out next year.

Wait Nexus 5 doesn't support LTE???

Because Verizon sucks and likes ruining phones and never updating them or be 2 updated behind the rest, AND you get to pay more for the privilege of being screwed over by them

Out of the 2 phones that for Android now, I would recommend either the N5 or the LG G2. G2 is pretty much the N5 with a better camera and a diff UI...few other things. Nexus will get updates sooner but if you are in to rooting and applying custom ROMs, doesnt matter. I have the LG G2 since Verizon doesnt have the N5. I have KitKat on my G2 and it runs great.

Its about speed and, for me, solid connections. I have an LG Optimus G Pro with an LTE connection (AT&T) and have never had connections of this quality. The phone ain't bad either - though not vanilla - and the G2 is likely similar.

Its about speed and, for me, solid connections. I have an LG Optimus G Pro with an LTE connection (AT&T) and have never had connections of this quality. The phone ain't bad either - though not vanilla - and the G2 is likely similar.

G2 does have a slight modded UI.  I installed CM11 on mine tho but the stock UI for LG wasnt terrible.

I am going to throw my hat into the ring and recommend the HTC One. I moved to it from my iPhone4S since Apple decided not to make a proper 5" phone this time around (maybe the 6? who knows) but its a great phone, and you don't have to use BlinkFeed. As another poster said, you can use another loader. So many out there. :)