Windows 8.2 pro: ‘URmode’ concept

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#91 +LambdaLambdaLambdaFn

LambdaLambdaLambdaFn

Neowinian

Posted 19 December 2013 - 19:28

Rome wasn't built in a day.

It's true, but there were a lot of bugs in Win8, and 8.1 is marginally better. 

It's challenging to make genuinely powerful apps for Win8 as it stands, unless you're making a game.

#92 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 19 December 2013 - 19:49

Those are fighting words. I'll try your Metro app. (as long as it doesn't phone home, lol)

please report back to this thread with your findings  :laugh:

#93 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 19 December 2013 - 20:15

please report back to this thread with your findings  :laugh:

Based on the nature of the app, it's too much trouble for me to install either win32 or WinRT. But, given the nature of the apps, I would surmise the Modern UI is more suited to providing a more efficient and user friendly UI & UX. Particularly given the type of user likely to use it.

Of course, I believe there are many benefits to WinRT itself. Just not many devs are really taking advantage of it, and I think a lot of planning and design must go into any serious app that uses it to overcome it's shortcomings like limited in-place context menus, full or snap screen only (which if you take the time to design for it I believe is a plus). etc. Create too many menu options that require using top or bottom bar and you make your own app cumbersome to use IMO. I think Modern apps should keep in-place context menus but that just doesn't work well on tablets and phones.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!