Photo

How many SSD's do you own?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Poll: How many SSD's do you own?

How many SSD's do you own?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• 7,714 posts
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 15 December 2013 - 13:03

Hello,

Anyone who says that has never used an SSD.

No, if you use a lot of programs for different reasons (or heck, just like to install and forget about it) SSDs do not apply to you. The cost is currently too high.

Seagate Barracuda 500 GB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s is currently about 40 bucks
SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD500BW 2.5" 500GB on ebay is 380 bucks

Cannot be justified.

#62 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 7,995 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 15 December 2013 - 13:18

None, once I could get a 500gb ssd for the price of a 500gb hdd.. then maybe... but for now.. cost makes me not need it.

#63 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,472 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 14:19

None. I still go for size over speed at the moment.

#64 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

• 5,624 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 18:06

They either replace the dead controller, fix the firmware, or replace bad flash chips typically.

I'd like to think that companies are so dedicated to removing waste and I myself hate to throw away something that can be fixed, but these things are probably cheaper to throw away than fix. I'm talking about cost to them, not us.

#65 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,235 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 18:12

I'd like to think that companies are so dedicated to removing waste and I myself hate to throw away something that can be fixed, but these things are probably cheaper to throw away than fix. I'm talking about cost to them, not us.

It probably takes a guy about an hour to fix and verify, and the sale is on top of the money they already got for the product.  Or it goes towards someone who returned theirs, so they don't have to give away a completely new board.

Almost all laptop hardware fixes are with refurbished parts...not much different here.

#66 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,518 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 15 December 2013 - 18:12

Six of my machines have SSD's now coupled with one or more mechanicals for the bulk storage. Few more to go.

#67 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

• 5,624 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 18:24

It probably takes a guy about an hour to fix and verify, and the sale is on top of the money they already got for the product.  Or it goes towards someone who returned theirs, so they don't have to give away a completely new board.

Almost all laptop hardware fixes are with refurbished parts...not much different here.

I stand corrected, then :)

#68 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• 1,563 posts
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 15 December 2013 - 18:25

My work laptop was upgraded to an SSD, and the OS reloaded from scratch.  I don't see any performance improvements, the only benefit I see to them is reduced chance of drive failure.

I really don't see how that could be the case because for the sake of argument - even if you weren't loading anything from the disk during normal usage - you should have still seen a huge boot speed improvement.

#69 leesmithg

leesmithg

The Major!

• 9,473 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 18:28

I have a hybrid drive.

Maybe that counts as 1.

#70 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,934 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 19:02

2. One in my gaming PC as a boot drive (OCZ Vector 128GB) and one in my workstation (OCZ Agility 3 60GB). After running an OS from an SSD I certainly don't want to go back to booting it from a mechanical drive.

#71 Ravensky

Ravensky

Neowinian

• 569 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 19:07

3, two in my computer for O/S and games and one in my wife's computer =)

#72 typu

typu

Neowinian

• 377 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 19:11

got 2 in my desktop - seriously I dont get how you can NOT use an ssd. traditional harddisks are so painfully slow, it is unbearable.

#73 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,268 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 18:42

got 2 in my desktop - seriously I dont get how you can NOT use an ssd. traditional harddisks are so painfully slow, it is unbearable.

THIS x100 the problem with having all of these SSD's is when I work on peoples desktop and laptops they feel so slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!!

#74 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 17 December 2013 - 18:51

Pfffff... I have a boot SSD for win8, but to say that a normal platter harddrive is slow? Man.... we sure take speed for granted, my work OS is on an HDD (2.5" !!), startup time may be slow, after that, I bet it flies compared to most of the computers here (An SSD is not an excuse to not properly maintain an OS instalation)

#75 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,618 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 17 December 2013 - 19:01

Pfffff... I have a boot SSD for win8, but to say that a normal platter harddrive is slow? Man.... we sure take speed for granted, my work OS is on an HDD (2.5" !!), startup time may be slow, after that, I bet it flies compared to most of the computers here (An SSD is not an excuse to not properly maintain an OS instalation)

We use SSDs on our new work laptops. We have to encrypt the drive and SSDs are fantastic, because overhead is minimized with SSD access times and speed.

I can't believe the amount of people who don't buy SSDs because of the price/GB factor. Just use it as a boot drive and commonly used programs. Then use a data drive to complement the SSDs