How many SSD's do you own?

How many SSD's do you own?  

283 members have voted

1. 1. How many SSD's do you own?

• More than 14
    • All of my computers have an SSD in them.
    • I don't own an SSD yet.

• 4 months later...

About!!

Sorry, but there is no "about".  You either own them or not.  If I have 5 SSD's I don't own about 6 SSD's.

Going by your list (figuring 1 in each PC) you have 15.

That isn't "about 11"

Ok, so I did another inventory count. I'm still probably forgetting some in this list. But this is just what I could think of off the top of my head.

Parents laptop in their Kitchen 64GB SSD(my ssd drive)

All in one Touch screen PC on Kitchen Table 30GB SSD

iMac 27ich i7 16GB 128 SSD

Main 4 Monitor Workstation 128GB

Couch i7 msata 256GB

Server 128 SSD

Quickbooks Laptop  64GB SSD

PC in Theater 64GB

Laptop in car 32 GB SSD

Macbook Pro i7 128GB SSD

Living Room TV PC 128GB SSD

Acer Tablet 64GB msata

Intel NUC Msata 64GB

Intel NUC Msata 64GB

Windows Vista 64bit 64GB Sysprep Drive

Windows 7 64bit 64GB Sysprep Drive

Zelmen HD enclosure USB 2.0 64GB SSD

Zelmen HD enclosure USB 2.0 64GB SSD

Zelman HD Enclusure USB 3.0 64GB SSD

Spare Cosair 64 GB SSD

Spare kingston 64 GB SSD

Spare Msata 64GB SSD

------

64GB SSD I had laying around that I gave to someone in a laptop  last month

None yet -- I still don't quite trust an SSD.

You are completely missing out. My first SSD experience was terrible - OCZ Vertex 60 GB purchased in 2009, died in 4 months. Every other SSD I have purchased since has not died yet. There's absolutely nothing to lose. If you are scared, that just means you don't do proper backups in the first place. 

I can't imagine booting on a HDD any more. I only have 3 active HDD's in my house (2 in the NAS, 1 in Xbox One). All my systems have had SSD boot drives since 2009, wouldn't have it any other way. Just remember the slowest component in computers is usually the spinning disk drive  :)

• 2 weeks later...

None yet, but considering how fast my Surface Pro 2 boots, I may have to look into one for my tower.

If you own a SP2, you own at least one SSD ;) 

Hmmm.. upon scanning the entire 8 pages, I don't see anyone using 1TB SSD yet.

I have 1x 128GB SSD (very old)... recently upgraded to 1TB SSD... And I am using this 1TB drive for OS bootup drive.  The 128GB SSD is sitting around somewhere... will put it in another PC soon...

Hmmm.. upon scanning the entire 8 pages, I don't see anyone using 1TB SSD yet.

I have 1x 128GB SSD (very old)... recently upgraded to 1TB SSD... And I am using this 1TB drive for OS bootup drive.  The 128GB SSD is sitting around somewhere... will put it in another PC soon...

That's because it's beyond what most people would like to spend on a drive (granted SSD's are always coming down on price). People buy smaller SSD's to use as boot drives, and store data on traditional large HDD's where price/GB is less. I have a 256 GB 840 Pro as a boot drive on my desktop, which is enough for Windows 8 + my programs. I have other dedicated SSD's for Steam + games + other apps.

Never owned a SSD. Don't really see the need for one.

its incredible how slow everything feel without it, after you have used SSD for a while.   i cannot stand being on older computers without ssd.   feel like snail pace.  frustrating. 

then again, i used to not mind the 4 to 10 minutes windows xp boot time on my desktop and my laptop. it was the norm at the time (2000).  expected.

so whatever floats your boat.  until you use it for a while, you don't think it matters.  after you do, you will.

I've 4 (since people were counting tablets, I counted my phone as well).

1x 256GB Sandisk in my server

1x 512GB Crucial in my laptop

1x 32GB Samsung in my tablet

1x 32GB unknown in my phone.

I'd love to have one in my desktop as well, but it'd be wasted since my desktop is old and only has 3Gbps SATA.

Desktop PC [Windows 8.1, 64-bit] :

1. Intel SSD 510 Series, 120 GB (operatingsystem and programs).
  2. Intel SSD 520 Series, 240 GB (games and personal files).
  3. Intel SSD 335 Series, 180 GB (currently Arch Linux for testing)

Server/gateway [Arch Linux, 64-bit]:

1. Intel SSD S3500 Series, 160 GB (Device 0/1 in BTRFS RAID1).
  2. Intel SSD S3500 Series, 160 GB (Device 1/1 in BTRFS RAID1).

HTPC [Windows 8.1, 64-bit]:

1. Intel SSD 510 Series, 120 GB.

As you can see, most SSDs are older models and I only plan on adding more to the server at a later date (room for twelve 2.5" drives). I can't imagine using a HDD anymore, their access times and speeds are just too bad. I don't own any HDDs, the last one I had was in my previous desktop which I gave to my dad when I upgraded several years ago. The RAID1 in my server is recent, I bought another S3500 and upgraded from plain to RAID1 on the fly (online and mounted as /). BTRFS seems to be working pretty good, no need for partitions except for EFI system partition on the first drive (which is mounted at /boot). I've not had any bad experiences with my SSDs but I've only used Intel SSDs so far and I don't think I'll buy other brands any time soon with the exception of maybe Crucials latest series of SSDs.

1 in my MBP (Apple, 512GB), 1 in my work MBA (Apple, 256GB)

2 in my iMac (840 Pro - 128GB each)

1 in my home server (840 Pro - 128GB)

1 in the little HP Windows laptop we have (840 Pro - 128GB)

its incredible how slow everything feel without it, after you have used SSD for a while.   i cannot stand being on older computers without ssd.   feel like snail pace.  frustrating. 

then again, i used to not mind the 4 to 10 minutes windows xp boot time on my desktop and my laptop. it was the norm at the time (2000).  expected.

so whatever floats your boat.  until you use it for a while, you don't think it matters.  after you do, you will.

I've never had to wait 4-10 minutes on any of my computers. But then again, I never really shut them down unless I needed to. My 2009 iMac takes max 2 minutes.

I've wanted to put a SSD in my iMac, but nervous about taking the screen off. What's normal boot times on a SSD?

I've never had to wait 4-10 minutes on any of my computers. But then again, I never really shut them down unless I needed to. My 2009 iMac takes max 2 minutes.

I've wanted to put a SSD in my iMac, but nervous about taking the screen off. What's normal boot times on a SSD?

i have a password screen on windows, then other loading, so your result may wary.

but i think it takes less then 30-35 seconds for me to boot up.  usually about 10-15 second to password, and 5-15 second after.  it damn fast.

speed increase is noticeable in other areas too, you know. if you primary boot partition is SSD, everything starts up faster. opening a program.

loading office, photoshop and pretty much every other tool is close to instant, instead of a delay you have to wait.

and don't get me started on gaming.    the games that give you tips to read on loading screens.    i never manage to read even a quarter of the tip... it always finishes up loading in seconds. instead of minutes.

• 1 month later...

3 computers. Main desktop has 2x480 SSD in Raid 0. 2nd PC for medias on tv has a 250GB and laptop only has 120GB. Disks on main desktop is wide open and sharing all to laptop and media pc.