• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:06

It's probably just high usage, live isn't just the 2million+ new Xbox One users but all the old 360 users as well.  We should also take into account any WP and Windows Xbox live games in use to.  At least it hasn't crashed fully or anything.

#17 Zedox

Zedox

Neowinian

Posted 18 December 2013 - 14:33

It's probably just high usage, live isn't just the 2million+ new Xbox One users but all the old 360 users as well.  We should also take into account any WP and Windows Xbox live games in use to.  At least it hasn't crashed fully or anything.

Hopefully they get their servers figured out. This is also a reason why I want predownloading abilities. I'm not caring so much on the install side taking long, but download-side, yea, I want that.

#18 ryoohki

ryoohki

Neowinian

Posted 18 December 2013 - 14:46

A 15mbits connection should give you about 120meg/min or just a little less, steam on pc used not to max out my connection but since a year it's always top speed. Imho you should top you're speed since its a paying subscribe service. Ms and Sony has the power to do it

#19 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 18 December 2013 - 15:19

The main benefit of HD installs is in speed and latency.  You're likely looking at a 250ms seek time for data on a BR drive, vs around 5ms for a hard drive.  Aside from the obvious (transfer speed differences) that's every time you want anything....you could get several chunks of the data you need before the BR disc has even acquired one.

When you've got games using 3GB+  that causes a much bigger problem than last gen.  Streaming is unrealistic now....given the load time issues with many games on the 360/PS3 it wasn't much better then.

(I think both of the new systems are using 6x BR drives, making the transfer speed issue even more striking.)

#20 Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Shine bright like Iron Man.

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 18 December 2013 - 15:22

A 15mbits connection should give you about 120meg/min or just a little less, steam on pc used not to max out my connection but since a year it's always top speed. Imho you should top you're speed since its a paying subscribe service. Ms and Sony has the power to do it

Okay, how exactly did you measure that, dude? Don't you mean 120Mbps to 15Mb?  :/

#21 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 18 December 2013 - 15:24

Okay, how exactly did you measure that, dude? Don't you mean 120Mbps to 15Mb?  :/

15MB, but still yes.

#22 freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 18 December 2013 - 15:43

if Thats the case why not go from disc to to like external storage? Like instead of putting games on disc why not store them on Flash drives or something else. Kind of like the old cartridge days.. What do you think?

#23 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 18 December 2013 - 15:54

if Thats the case why not go from disc to to like external storage? Like instead of putting games on disc why not store them on Flash drives or something else. Kind of like the old cartridge days.. What do you think?

Because discs cost a few cents.  Flash is considerably more expensive.

#24 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 18 December 2013 - 15:55

Does the XB1 allow you to start playing while you download?

#25 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 18 December 2013 - 15:57

Does the XB1 allow you to start playing while you download?

Yeah, standard feature on the new consoles.  I've heard you may have to have a good chunk of it downloaded first, but it likely depends on the game.

#26 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 18 December 2013 - 16:01

Yeah, standard feature on the new consoles.  I've heard you may have to have a good chunk of it downloaded first, but it likely depends on the game.

I don't have any figures for the XB (I wasn't sure if it supported it) - but I know Killzone on PS requires 12GB out of 40GB odd downloaded - which is still a sizeable chunk. Given the average UK broadband speed is still less than 10Mbps - that's still a good 2 and a half to 3 hours of downloading before you can even play. Heck, I live in London, and the highest ADSL speed I can get is 4Mbps (cabled streets are still hit and miss here).

#27 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 18 December 2013 - 16:07

Being able to pre-download games before the official release date could be a option but we'll have to wait for some new games to hit the store first before we'll know for sure.  If it's not a option then it's something people should definitely be asking for.

#28 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 18 December 2013 - 16:09

I am not looking to flame bait or anything here, but after waiting over an hour for a game to install enough to play it, I'm wondering if anyone sees a benefit to this install requirement over playing the game from disc.

I know that the plan initially was that we were not going to need the disc again after the initial install, and that was great, but with that scrapped, what benefits still exist?

What are everyone's thoughts?  I really like my XBox One, but am thinking it preferable at this point for Microsoft to change their strategy and play the game from disc rather than require someone eager to play a game to sit and wait an hour or more to install a game before they are able to play it.  It is really quite frustrating.  LOL

So, are there any benefits that I'm missing, or am I right in understanding that they all disapeared when they made their 180...?

I am hoping to have a rational discussion and don't want this to become a childish argument, so please no trolling.  :)

I agree with you 100%.. I just picked up an Xbox One and installed Forza.. It took forever and had to download a 6GB update.. When I play a PS4 Game, the game starts installing but you can start playing it almost immediately. 

#29 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 18 December 2013 - 16:10

I can't get my maximum bandwidth over the Xbox One for some reason. Games should be downloading a lot faster than this on my 50meg connection. I started downloading NBA 2k, went to bed for 7 hours, woke up, and it progressed only 17%. That's not right.

Same here.. I am not getting anywhere near my full speed from them.. I wonder if their servers are just bogged down.. 

#30 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 19 December 2013 - 17:34

I agree with you 100%.. I just picked up an Xbox One and installed Forza.. It took forever and had to download a 6GB update.. When I play a PS4 Game, the game starts installing but you can start playing it almost immediately.

I don't own Forza, but can you say how long it took before it let you play? I know you can start playing before it finishes the download.

Same here.. I am not getting anywhere near my full speed from them.. I wonder if their servers are just bogged down..

Have you tried uploading a game clip yet? I ask because I am seeing my full upload speed when its doing that.

I agree about the download speed, mine has been jumping around from close to max to half speed.